One:12 Collective Frankenstein's Monster review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
Two days in a row I get to look at One:12 Collective action figures from Mezco! This time, it's a figure from one of my personal all time favorite licenses - Universal Monsters. They're Frankenstein Monster has just started shipping, and he's almost perfect...almost. You can find my review here:

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-110916a.htm

or with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael

Thanks for doing this review! When I was a kid, out of all the Universal Horror monsters, I was definitely the most terrified of him. I actually had this guy on preorder, but ended up canceling him. Looks like he's going back on the list!

Awesome review I myself reordered to get my own thoughts into perspective. We don't get many classic monsters these days and this definitely looks like top notch despite the price, size and accessories. Oh and huge Frankenstein fan! Great review again Michael!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Great review! I actually like the shorter length of the pants even if they aren't totally accurate. I can, however, see the cone shape in the tailoring that you mentioned.

Still, I am definitely going to pick this guy up I just can't decide if I want the black and white one or the green one!

Yeah those pants ruin it for me. If the color version has those same pants I'll pass on him entirely- and any future monsters because of that.

I like these figures, but I just can't get my hands wrapped around the price tag. I like the head sculpts, but anymore with computer modeling becoming such a accessible way to create super accurate sculpts, that's becoming almost the norm rather than the exception. And because of that, I just can't find the rationale to charge so much for a figure that tiny. They remind me of that Stan Lee convention exclusive they put out about eight years ago in the same scale, where you could change Stan into Peter Parker or Spider-man. It was a fun idea but that price was no where near this and that was a convention exclusive. Stan lee figure.jpg

You're seriously comparing that Stan Lee to a One:12 Collective figure?

Please forgive me if I laugh at what you deem obvious when I'm discussing cost against value. Plus I'm not getting these free to review. You have zero perspective on cost, hence you're the last person on this planet to offer an objective opinion. Like I said, too much is made of the sculpt. You don't have an argument for the body as it relates to the price tag. The 1:12 Stan Lee has more articulation. What are you going to point to next? The tailoring? There's not enough material there to make half a Mego outfit. Is there something earth shattering about that? Plus on this one they gave him high-waters.Cosmetically as a figure it's nice looking (for the most part). That's a nice head sculpt. I just don't deem it $70 nice. And before you mock the Stan Lee figure, you best go see what people are paying for that one. A little bit more than your latest hand out.

I'll ignore the conversation on price vs value and focus on the actual facts that you seem so terribly incapable of understanding. I did not receive the figure free - I have never received any One:12 figure for free. While I do receive some, it's less than 25% of the things I review. I pay for the rest.

A few other facts - more articulation does not mean better. Excellent sculpting is not the de facto standard of the day. Tailoring has nothing to do with the quantity of material involved.

You can feel the figure isn't worth $70. Value is a personal attribute, not a fact. But if you're going to compare this figure to that Stan Lee figure, don't be surprised when you're called out on it. It's a terrible comparison, and speaks far more about your ability to be objective than the quality of either action figure.

I don't think you can compare a items secondary market value to a current items MSRP. Nostalgia, demand and rarity skews it too much.

I look at it like this. These 1/12 figures are half the size of a 1/6 figure and typically well under half the price of your average 1/6 figure.

QMX Spock is $180. Mezco Spock is $70, half the size, arguably just as amazing as the QMX, and less than half the price. And with 1/6 figures often pushing $230+ for a bare-bones Hot Toys or Sideshow figure, I feel the value on these One:12 Collective figures is pretty good.

I'll ignore the conversation on price vs value and focus on the actual facts that you seem so terribly incapable of understanding. I did not receive the figure free - I have never received any One:12 figure for free. While I do receive some, it's less than 25% of the things I review. I pay for the rest.

A few other facts - more articulation does not mean better. Excellent sculpting is not the de facto standard of the day. Tailoring has nothing to do with the quantity of material involved.

You can feel the figure isn't worth $70. Value is a personal attribute, not a fact. But if you're going to compare this figure to that Stan Lee figure, don't be surprised when you're called out on it. It's a terrible comparison, and speaks far more about your ability to be objective than the quality of either action figure.

Michael - First you DO receive items for free. It's part of the promotional process companies have with people including my own friends who do online and Youtube reviews to promote their goods. That's a fact and quit acting like you need to hide it in shame. That's how the market works. I have to add it must be quite an insult to these companies to be publicly suggesting you IGNORE three quarters of all the product sent to you for promotion. Makes for an easy flip! Sounds like you're still playing with house money.

Second, lets step back and develop a better understanding of what is subjective versus factual. You want to broad stroke the term "value" as a subjective perspective, but then proceed to define your idea of value as "facts". You might view articulation as a poor measure of "value", but the action figure industry has taken enormous strides in the past ten years to constantly re-engineer and produce figures with greater range of movement. This is built into the premium priced figures all the way down to the lower tiers that hang on peg boards at Target and Walmart stores.

If you know ANYTHING about manufacturing, companies do not retool and redesign the basis of a figure if articulation is a demand the consumer does not want. So please forgive me if you come off sounding quite uninformed. There IS a consumer demand for that. If you view articulation as lacking in value, that's your personal opinion, but it runs contrary to very clear and obvious trends within the market... not to mention your reviews.

Regarding the cost versus value, which you won't discuss because it doesn't back your position, there is a immediate measure anyone can look at and that is the secondary market. When you can routinely find newly released figures selling for 25% to 40% below retail you understand the market is overpriced. If this Stan Lee figure, at the same scale, is somehow inferior to the current fad of 1:12 figures, then why does it hold such a profound value over it's counterparts that do not? Note I never said the Stan Lee figure was "better", I said it was the same scaled figure with the only noted difference being the heads on the new ones. The new ones look great for that reason, but cost is subjective. What I said is, for me, I don't see the value. And I would be willing to bet you that by Christmas I'll be able to get this for under $50.00. The Universal brand is stagnant right now. This price will not hold.

And where on earth do you get the impression that the quality of head sculpts have not been on the uptick in the last five to seven years? Hot Toys laid waste to Sideshow 1/6th scale figures. Now Sideshow is coming back and re-branding their old licenses with new improved (AND PRICIER) figures. NECA has been doing excellent sculpts in both seven inch and retro scale figure for many years now. And look at all the other companies in the black market routinely selling custom sculpts to update existing lines? It's all over! To even suggest this is not a noted trend in the industry is borderline insane. You may not like what you're seeing but those are undeniable FACTS.

Michael's reviews are consistent. When he talks about cost and value his established readers know where he stands. Walls of text calling out the price just bring down the vibe.

It's a great review of a really nice looking Frankenstein's monster figure. This makes me want him even more! I am only holding out until they reveal more universal monsters so he's not lonely on display. $70 is not bad at all, one:12 figures are great little figures and I really like all the one:12 figures I have. I just hope mezco can ramp up production a little

Back