3D Printer recommendations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakazoid!

Super Freak
Reaction score
I remember reading an article back in 1997, when I was 10 or 11, on how 3D printers will soon become available to the public. "Then I can make my own toys!", was my initial thought.

Jump ahead nearly 20 years, and I'm finally gonna buy a 3D printer because as a huge SW Micro Machines collector I am bummed by Hasbro's lack of Character and Army Building Packs. Can you guys recommend any printers that are good for detailed and sturdy printouts the size of a thumbnail?

Formlab 2 I've read is consistent and still in the consumer price range.
Ive seen some pretty great prints coming from it.

kickstarter was founded like right away for UNIZ3D Slash SLA printer. Its now for PO for $2k and suppose to beat the formlab2 not just in details, but def. in speed (50times faster!!). I have an FMD printer what is great, but when it comes to detailed small pieces, it should be an SLA printer.

I have an Ultimaker (2.5k) FMD and im pretty happy with it.. but thinking to get me also an SLA printer and I think im going to PO the Slash from what I read about it.

formlab2 Is the best out there right this second! In My opinion the quality is still not there for printing heads sculpts! A lot of the guys are using it and now your seeing them go back to the commercial printing service we all be using for last few years! Well start seeign some real beast printers in the next few years i personally would hold out for the next big printer! That said i'm sure fourmlab next version will be what we need or very very close!

Agreed. I was looking to buy, but honestly nothing is there yet. And purchase cost isn't the whole picture. There are materials and maintaining that add to the cost. I've opted to stay using a service for my needs. You can buy a ton of prints for $3k+.

Agreed. I was looking to buy, but honestly nothing is there yet. And purchase cost isn't the whole picture. There are materials and maintaining that add to the cost. I've opted to stay using a service for my needs. You can buy a ton of prints for $3k+.

Love your signature ;)

If you contact UNIZ3D and ask for the kickstarter price.. or that the PO price was at $1400 .. they will give you $600 off for the PO price if you are liking what you see about the Slash Printer.

Check kickstarter here: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-of-affordable-professional-3d?ref=nav_search

I wish I heard about that while kickstarter was still available.

My son got a Monoprice maker select today for Christmas and it is very nice for <$300.

Last year one of my students found a local printer via an Uber-style service. The price was competitive and the results comparable to Shapeways. Shapeways used to be the go-to, but I've lost track of the number of good printers out there nowadays. The technological advancements are incredible, really.

Back