JR customs and experiments

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amusedjester

Super Freak
Reaction score
I will just post my customs and experiments here so they are not out of place in the forums. These are basically just my attempts and curiousities. I don't mass produce because I don't have pressure pots and vacuum chambers setups so sometimes my castings are not perfect and therefore I don't feel the quality is up to my standards to be sold. Maybe someday.

So first time I saw the screaming mouth from a knightmare batman, I just knew I wanted to try this. Is it possible? am I able to do it? Once I got the figure, i made a quick mold of the mouth and a quick mold of the BVS head copy. Poured in some monster clay and began to do some butchering and sculpting. Made some tests with material and coloring, Right now I am using Dragon skin 20. Here is the result out of the mold. Will do some crappy paint job on it later.

IMG_20161105_131440144_zpsfan76k6k.jpg

IMG_20161105_131532248_zps5ot3lbnv.jpg

IMG_20161105_131543640_zpson5owkn1.jpg

I'm going to re-post my customization of the Armored Batman, I think the changes are fairly significant and I don't want it to get buried in the original thread.

Ok, the first photos are the new poses and articulation possible with the alterations. Sorry the phots are blurry and poor. I took it with my camera and took them as after-thoughts but I think it conveys the idea enough.

The arms are now at a 90 degree angle from the body.
View attachment 301474

Notice now how high the arm can be raised, also the thigh is higher as well.
View attachment 301472

Front view

View attachment 301475

So here are the steps.
No pic, I think it's easy to follow. One, detach the armor of the arms from the shoulder plates, just unplug it underneath. Remove the hand and gently remove the armor from the arm, be careful of the bicep strap. DO the same for the other side.

The belt strap across the chest is not glued on and can be undone from the back, you don't need to remove it completely just have it unclasped.

This photo shows the clasp on the side of the armor is glued together at this juncture, just carefully pry them apart. Do the same on the other side.

View attachment 301477

You'll need to unclasp the abdomen plating connected underneath the chest plate, do the same for the back. NOTE: when you are re-assembling this part, you will require some sort of small, thin tool to push this clasp back onto those little connectors. It's fairly frustrating but do-able. Once the ab plates and back plates are detached from the chest plate, it should be easy to pull off.

Notice that the neck plastic is partially glued onto the cloth, be careful prying it apart. I did it without tearing the cloth and that will be covered up again so no worries of damaging the texture.

Here's a photo of the back stitching that you will need to undo. This also shows the small clasp at the edge of the back plate that attaches to the chest piece. Also note that I did not have to detach the bat belt. I just left it on the figure. Less to take apart, less to put back together.

View attachment 301476

Pull back the cloth and there is a partial rubber suit that is the real problem of this figure.

View attachment 301478

Here's the front part and really shows you why the articulations is so bad on the shoulders. Of course, it won't let that shoulder move at all, it's basically connected to the chest with that stupid rubber.
View attachment 301479

The solution is really simple. Keep in mind that this whole area is not only covered by the shoulder part of the chest plate but also with the shoulder plates; so the alteration you will make will be unseen completely. I just cut the connection between the shoulder and the chest rubber. I took out a small section (just as you see on the photo) to allow the shoulder to go 90 degrees away from the body without the rubber of the arm cutting into the rubber of the chest. That's it!! Do the other side and pull the suit back on(not the armor yet). Test the articulation. Be careful; move and rotate the shoulder by holding it at the shoulder joint. DO NOT articulate the shoulder by pulling on the arm or bicep. Test the range of movement so you will know how far to go.

View attachment 301480

Once, you're satisfied just go backwards with your steps and put everything back together. Don't re-clasp the arm armor to the shoulder to allow a better range of motion.

Now, for the legs. It's really simple so I didn't bother with the pics. Pull off the boot. Notice that as you pull off the leg armor, at the knee joint the clothing is catching the joint preventing it to go down at all. You need a small tool to free the clothing away from the joint as you pull it off. That's it, just keep that area clear and it should pop off easily. Do the other side. All you need to do is push up the leg material into the crotch. Just a little and test the articulation, to see if it now moves better. Also, the more you pull that thigh up the more it bunches thickly at the crotch; Can't be helped. Anyway, keep it loose up there and put the leg armor back on. Before you put the boots back on, test the articulation again to make sure it's still good. It should be loose enough to bend the leg but not too loose so that when you have the legs straight there is a wrinkle. That's it, put the boots back on, frustrating it is but not too bad.

I hope you guys find this useful. I am now happy with the figure. It is ready to stab Supes with the spear.

I'll post better pics in different poses later.

Added some color to the angry version. I realized that since It's made out of soft silicone, I can actually kinda close the mouth for a gritted look. I just need to find a way to articulate the jaw. Maybe some soft metal inserted behind the mouth, somehow...

Picture20047_zps0oviwcyr.jpg

hey great thread and great work ,i love this type of stuff and being able to find it in one thread is a bonus :clap

great idea with the articulated jaw ,looking forward to seeing finished

So i just got two figures: Faora Lady commander from XEnsation and Super Lightning Man (Flash) from Hayou Toys. This is mostly going to be about the Hayou Flash.

Don't get this figure. Unless you're heavily into customizing, this figure will be just a waste of your money. The figure is almost an inch taller than the BVS superman. The material used combined with the tightness against the body makes this figure barely articulated. Articulation range from all joints barely reach the 45 degree angle.

Following will be a bunch of photos and my some process of how I am customizing the Flash figure from Hayou Toys.

Pardon the quality of the photos. I don't have a good camera and my phone is all I have.

IMG_20170524_140659594.jpg

The naked figure in the back is the original body from Hayou Toys. Notice that it is elevated from the bottom, this is to simulate the actual height with the boots on and the pegs attached to the legs. I seriously suspect that they made the mistake of using a body designed for a basketball player to make the figure.

My height goal is slightly lower than BVS superman as Gustin is supposed to be 2 inches shorter than Cavill.

The original had longer arms and legs. Surprisingly, the torso of the suit is not too bad in terms of length. This photo also shows the look I am aiming for with this customized Flash. Cutting off an inch of the feet is not a problem and a necessity to get the boots on without bunching/pushing the material of the legs. Fortunately, I think it was originally too long anyway so cutting it off does not compromise the design.

The arms, however, is a big problem. It is also around an inch too long. That means by cutting it off, you will loose some design patterns off the arm. I, gently, unstitched the zippers off the arm cuffs and cut off what I needed.

View attachment 343692
This shows a test of how much material I need to pull back to make the arm tighter, so it is not too loose or too muscular. I'm going to have to re-stitch the arms, figure out how to fix the cuff design that was lost because I had to shorten it. Oh, I decided to also make the torso suit narrower by a little. Grant has a slimmer body and arms that i want to capture and right now the torso is looking just a smidge too loose and baggy.

BTW, this was done testing several body types from Hot toys to other 1/6 bodies I have on hand. I finally settled on the a regular ttm20 figure. But it does require to be padded a little to raise the shoulder and pectoral area by a little.

Anyway, this just shows my plans and goal will add more photos as I start putting things together

Back