Do you like selling/buying more on ebay or here?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umm. Don't you care about all the scammers out there? One guy wanted a discount because my box was damaged, another 3 said after having the statue for 2 weeks that the statue arrived broken and received a full refund and i paid return shipping, another one said the light up feature didnt work (which was a lie) and got a discount, etc etc etc.

Either way, why do people like to buy and sell here?

Ads get buried easy. You can be scammed here. You also get whiners and low-ballers here.

Items can be damages shipping to the customer from either place. That is what insurance is for. It's to cover you, not the customer.

"whiners and low ballers" pretty much sums it up.

I can see how selling statutes opens you up to more fraud as every buyer can say it arrived broken. And the one time I did buy a statue on eBay it DID arrived broken. After pleading with the seller to double box it, she only used balled up news paper in a single box.

But I really only do 1/6 so it's harder to make that claim. Maybe avoid statues?

I actually try to sell/buy here first before resorting to eBay. I enjoy interacting with fellow members with all the bartering that is involved. I ignore the low ballers because you have to give credit, at least they asked! I'm cautious with who I sell to as far as their feedback. I have also made a few trades which at first was a little nerve racking but all turned out well. eBay has screwed me in the past as far as items claimed to have been broken. Selling/buying on the internet with strangers always carries a risk. There are always just crappy people out there looking to scam others.

Ebays biggest downside for me are their fees. Which seem to be at an all time high. The downside here is it could take a couple months to sell an item. I try here first and sell on ebay as a last resort.

That's the other issue as mentioned above- time. I've had stuff sit on this site for weeks and not move.

The final deterent for selling here for me was the $25 fee. I understand why it was put in place, but it's a barrier to an already (for me) fairly unsuccessful marketplace.

That's the other issue as mentioned above- time. I've had stuff sit on this site for weeks and not move.

The final deterent for selling here for me was the $25 fee. I understand why it was put in place, but it's a barrier to an already (for me) fairly unsuccessful marketplace.

Yeah, selling here has really slowed to a crawl. I didn't mind the $25 fee and I'm thankful for having an ebayfree venue over the years to move my stuff, but I opted not to renew when it recently came up. Just didn't seem worth it at this time. I like to think I have good stuff at really good prices, but at the same time it starts to feel like you have to give stuff away just to move it.

eBay because your item has a much higher chance of selling.

Ads get buried easy. You can be scammed here. You also get whiners and low-ballers here.

Items can be damages shipping to the customer from either place. That is what insurance is for. It's to cover you, not the customer.

^ This :lecture

I like selling here only when it's something when I need quick $$$ and don't have the time to wait on ebay auctions or someone to eventually "buy it now"

Haven't had to do that in awhile though since I've gained *some* self control over the past year and half :lol

I enjoy the Buy/Trade forums. It's another place to check in addition to ebay and regular re-sellers, but I think i get the most enjoyment from these forums. It's nice to interact with other collectors. I don't want to bid against the world and other scalpers, so I feel like I narrow my chances in these forums. I feel like the prices are generally more fair and reasonable too. Most of the people I bought from seem to just be moving on from their collection and aren't necessarily looking for a profit, but not a loss either. I only get those offers on eBay auctions once in a blue moon.

As far as a seller, I opted to get a Premium membership to sell one of my items and it sold within a day, so I had immediate positive results.

ebay because I can't list here without being premium, even though I've had positive transactions and I'm a reputable member.

BTW, everything for sale: https://extraimago.com/jcfett/

LOL

sorry evilface, i couldn't hang on to my joe collection anymore. Going all original trilogy star wars :(

honestly, if things sold here as fast as it does on ebay, I would pay the $25 fee. it's way cheaper than all the ebay fees when you put it in perspective, however, the likelihood that all my items will sell, or really any of my items will sell within a reasonable time frame... is just, unlikely.

As an eBay seller since 1999 I had been burned by eBay's lack of seller protection. A demanding buyer can basically extort you and give you poor feedback with no recourse by eBay's admin team no matter how ironclad your selling terms are. I will only sell high-end items through them anymore like (plug) an upcoming PCS Zangief but generally I find the buyers on the forum to be much more considerate and (thankfully) polite about buying items that they love.

I think I prefer eBay, because people actually buy my stuff there. :p The fees are a real killer, though.

It is nicer to sell here, but as others have said it can be slow. Saving the fees is a nice bonus, but that usually means selling the item for a lesser price as buyers here know you get to save fees.

Traffic here did take a big hit when the premium membership started, a person that has just one or two items to sell is not going to pay the fee and buyers see less to choose from as a result.

Back