Playmates Voltron

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phastroh

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just saw this pre-order. I'm definitely going to buy the 16" version it's just the version you can't assemble looks almost nicer.

I will admit the photos of the assembled piece looks odd. Need to see more pix but the arms are a bit long.

The arms look long because they decided to keep all of the lions about the same size. However, the individual lions looks better than the SOC version, which is sad considering how much you have to pay for it. I might just get the 14" Voltron and the little lions.

I already have all the old ones so sticking with them is not my idea of collecting meaning I need to buy and having 3 old style ones means buying a 4th is silly.

I am already buying the SS version and the SOC is priced too high. My Anniversary version is also old now.

I think I'll just get the whole lot of new ones to freshen up my shelf.

With today's technology you'd think they could allow the arms to shorten for the robot. It's funny because in the show the arms get longer during formation.

Just give me the best one in Robot mode. I don't think I will ever display the five lions on my shelf.

Here's my Gallery for the 16" Legendary Defender. Having been spoiled with other combiners, it's just "ok" for what it is. It just feels like those big lego blocks in that it's just so light and lack much detail. Black Lion has some heft though and he does look pretty decent when all combined. Basically, this is definitely meant for younger kids to play with rather than for people who collect SoC's and I suppose the price reflects that.

Link to the Gallery.
https://www.facebook.com/Jaycepticon/photos/?tab=album&album_id=518733434917362

15826566_518733958250643_2665325747953865811_n.jpg

15800332_518734594917246_3154798263991059430_o.jpg

Ok so first impressions for me were these things are huge and cartoonish but the look like the show basically so can't complain really. I actually feel their posture is far superior but at the same thing me there are not as tough looking as older designs. They look just as they should and have plenty of movement.

I did not intend to combine these in the first place and will purchase the 14" version for a Voltron Robot and it actually looks great.

On the new Soul version. I do not see me personally spending $300 on the new one. $200 is my limit and with it out now other companies will just make a less costly one. I don't even care if it's plastic. Making Voltrons n so he can pose in his blazing sword pose is not exciting to me at least. The cartoon moved in ways that Voltron shouldn't of and the lions legs vanished during formation so they should figure that part out lol that would be fantastic.

Anyway I'm happy with these for what the are. They'll just sit with all my other Voltron stuff anyway as my shrine haha

For the target audience these aren't bad at all. Kids will love these if they like the show. That being said, I would love to see a SOC or Super Robot Chogokin version.

Long way for that but agreed but I'm happy with them for now. I'm happy to get the 14" robot eventually just to pose it. Seems like it will pose well in a stand.

Long way for that but agreed but I'm happy with them for now. I'm happy to get the 14" robot eventually just to pose it. Seems like it will pose well in a stand.

It will stand just fine if you find the right positioning of everything. It is a little wonky because it's top-heavy and the plastic is extremely light as the figure only cost $39 but for what you paid it's pretty impressive once you get it set up right. I'm going to weather up the battle damaged areas that they included to make it look a little more legit and add some weathering.

Last edited:
Looks really cool! Better than the 16" by far. I think I'll buy 2 & maybe see about some putty work and repaint. If it's too much work I'll have 2.

I'll never assemble my legendary lions anyway. I'll paint the 14" up with more details. I'd consider tryingba metallic pain but it's kind of exactly as it appears on the show as it comes except minor details on the lions faces, etc.

I...think I'll pass in the hopes of a high-end version of this figure. Honestly, it's my favorite interpretation of Voltron, but these toys look cheap as hell.

I...think I'll pass in the hopes of a high-end version of this figure. Honestly, it's my favorite interpretation of Voltron, but these toys look cheap as hell.

On one hand they look great and on the other hand they are cheap but they do appear decently accurate so a high end version may or may not look all that different.

Additionally the 14" is so cheap why pass? It in my opinion looks really cool. I'm very curious how much better it could look with a repainted and added detail they left off clearly to keep prices down. I'm not sure without doing side by sides if the mold contains all the details that need paint.

I also wonder if just better paint and detailing would make it look nicer. It's very much the colors it should be unless metallic paint would just bring it to life a bit more.

Anyone have thoughts on a repaint.

I actually like the SS version I guess mainly because it looks somewhat man-made and more life like to me.

I also got the statue so that says it all however this in a PF would be amazing especially if the were able to get the lighting.

i totally disagree that the 14" looks cheap. some detailed paint apps will make it look more snazzy... but honestly the figure is $39... and has sound, and lights and major articulation... and is pretty dam close to animation model w the molded details... what more do you want for something that is $39??? the plastic is light weight, but not cheap. i'm tearing apart mine and it's solid. i'm redoing the electronics so it looses the sound and the switch on the back will now function as just a constant light up for the head and chest. when i'm done redoing the electronics i'm going to add the light blue details where it's needed and add a few spots that were missed based off the animation model. then highlight some of the well done battle damaged areas. should look pretty sweet when all is said and done.

I just purchased 2 at TRU and so I'm pretty impressed with how it feels, looks and the articulation. $40 is a steal. If you add a few more details it's even better.

I'll keep the boxed figure and that I'm going to fill screw holes and repaint it somewhat to look more metal.

With that said I was just looking at it and thinking $40 is not much for this. It's pretty large as well. If I could pick anything it would be not being able to lift over the head but that's nothing and a rare need.

Bandai MIGHT do one in the future with their SOC series, but I wouldn't expect that to be cheap.

Bandai MIGHT do one in the future with their SOC series, but I wouldn't expect that to be cheap.

I thought I read that the license was only to Playmates. Things change and I would have thought anyone with a Voltron license could make it but nobody has yet.

I'd buy it but it would have to look like the 14" proportions. I have the legendary lions but I'll never put them into Voltron with having the 14" as well.

While I think they did a good job with them it is still crazy nobody said uh hey uh no figure out how to make him look right as Voltron.

You have a list now:
1) legendary lions that look fantastic
2) combined legendary lions that look dumb
3) Voltron 14" that looks fantastic
4) base lions that are just ok looking but with kiddy features

With that said my kids love the base lions so that's a win but I wish the full sized one looked right combined.

Back