I cant be the only one.....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamfett007

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever NOT wanted to collect figures because they will eventually age, crack, discolor, materials will age, etc? I want to start buying figures again, but i cant seem to pull the trigger because I feel that I will eventually have to deal with all the things i mentioned.

That would be a big reason why I don't go the Hot Toys route.

Then again, I guess someone could make that case for ANY material a collectible is made from.

I like to handle, and appreciate my figure. I wished they were made of indestructible plastic. hahha. I have a 2002 jango that has a cracked helmet due to what i feel is age.

This same fear keeps me from buying yugioh cards as well. maybe im just over thinking it.

This same fear keeps me from buying yugioh cards as well. maybe im just over thinking it.

Yugioh cards? *cough, cough*

Mr. Green still have Garbage Pale Kids card. A bundle of it all wrapped in plastic and away from the sun. It's worth some money, especially when it is the first edition, but Mr. Green certainly outgrown it way back. Wish he would've kept the original packaging, heck, bought the whole box, too.

Think, one should have a balance when it come to collecting. You got to love it and it should at least retain its market value. Old age or destruction just happen and is just apart of life.

I like to handle, and appreciate my figure. I wished they were made of indestructible plastic. hahha. I have a 2002 jango that has a cracked helmet due to what i feel is age.

Extreme fluctuation in temperature is the worst for plastics. I'm better that's what happen to Jango.

So, as long as i keep away from crazy heat cheanges, i can expect my figs to last for years and years to come?

I hoping my SS R2D2 & C3PO PF's show deterioration with age to give it that "weathered" look.

I'd take my figures deteriorating rather me deteriorating faster than my figures. Enjoy the hobby, make the best out of it and your time since we don't last forever.

Wow, I was mulling over this exact topic whilst on the can yesterday..

But when I think about the fact that we'll die eventually anyways, does it really matter that these "collectibles" will deteriorate with time?

EDIT: Does anyone know how long HT figures are projected to look good given proper care and environmental conditions?

To be fair, some are worse than others. I have Transformers from 30 years ago that are fine, but figures from 3-4 years ago with the plastic deteriorating. My first experience with "Matty rot" left me a bit shocked until I read more about it and how to clean it off.

So I was going to go with statues more, but then hear about paint cracking, flaking, bubbling, or the statues themselves chipping or cracking more with age.

Beyond "turning over" my collection and making sure to sell some stuff before it reaches a stage of deterioration, I'm just resigned to enjoying it while I have it. It's not like I can take it with me. To be honest, I hope my desire to collect gets more in check in the years to come. There's so much I can't display it all at one time anyway.

I did stop collecting for a few years almost cold turkey. I told myself experiences in life were worth more and put that money to gaining those experiences. I have some great memories but have found that isn't sustainable either. So I'm searching out the happy middle ground.

Back