The Detolf Diorama Project - This is mine, post yours as well Freaks. Thanks 4 lookin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eljay360

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hey Freaks,
Been collecting Hot Toys Marvel figures for about 4 months and have been trying to find better looking display ideas about as long. I was into marvel legends, star wars black, and transformers before so I have had detolfs forver. But finally I decided to do what I could to improve them. I hope you freaks like what I have done as it definitely took some time and money lol.

Also I incorporated several LCD screens into these so if the images in the background appear to be different you are not crazy lol. Was trying to go high tech with guys like Tony Stark and Guardians of the Galaxy. Anyhow I hope you guys like this :)

Attachments

• IMG_2304.jpg
    IMG_2304.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_2301.jpg
    IMG_2301.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_2310.JPG
    IMG_2310.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 606
  • IMG_2308.JPG
    IMG_2308.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 608
  • IMG_2307.JPG
    IMG_2307.JPG
    990.2 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_2315.jpg
    IMG_2315.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_2316.jpg
    IMG_2316.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_2319.jpg
    IMG_2319.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_2324.jpg
    IMG_2324.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_2325.JPG
    IMG_2325.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 600
  • IMG_2327.jpg
    IMG_2327.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_2333.jpg
    IMG_2333.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_2335.jpg
    IMG_2335.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_2339.jpg
    IMG_2339.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_2340.jpg
    IMG_2340.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 570
  • IMG_2343.jpg
    IMG_2343.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_2358.jpg
    IMG_2358.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_2356.jpg
    IMG_2356.jpg
    587.7 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_2347.jpg
    IMG_2347.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_2364.jpg
    IMG_2364.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_2366.JPG
    IMG_2366.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 572
  • IMG_2376.jpg
    IMG_2376.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_2378.jpg
    IMG_2378.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_2383.jpg
    IMG_2383.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_2385.jpg
    IMG_2385.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_2389.JPG
    IMG_2389.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 573
  • IMG_2391.jpg
    IMG_2391.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_2410.JPG
    IMG_2410.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 554
  • IMG_2411.jpg
    IMG_2411.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_2412.jpg
    IMG_2412.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_2425.jpg
    IMG_2425.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_2422.jpg
    IMG_2422.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 556
Dude those are incredible!!

Thank you so much everyone that is so nice :) It was a lot of work but still in progress. Not I wanna start replacing the weaker ones with better ones now. I just wanted to get each box filled with something cool first. I am learning to do it for my kid and nep[hews. Make them cool **** for xmas ya know :) And Hot Toys are sooooo coool. I am just super psyched on collecting them and since they are so movie accurate just trying to make something interesting for ppl to look at.

But super psyched that some of you like them, it just feels super good thank u.

Nice collection. Maybe you could include some tutorial and progress pics in the future as well.

(Hint: Craig where are waiting for u to get back to it as well. Lol)

Anyway i dont see any problem for the thread being here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"still in progress"? geez, not sure how they can get better. I love threads like these, to give me some good ideas to borrow :p

my favorite is strike suit cap's display. the elevator scene is one of my favorites ever, & that def reminds me of it!

"still in progress"? geez, not sure how they can get better. I love threads like these, to give me some good ideas to borrow :p

my favorite is strike suit cap's display. the elevator scene is one of my favorites ever, & that def reminds me of it!

That is super kind lol. Ya in progesss as some of the brick walls could use some graffitti or other posters and some of the weaker dioramas simply need replacing. I will also put up some tutorial type of stuff if you guys want. It has been a painful learning curve, wouldnt mind saving you cats a few painful steps lol

Fix Visions cape but the rest looks good.

Like what do you do to visions cape? It is huge and with the wire I dont really know how to shape the thing lol. Although I totally love the figure more then I thought I would lol.

that's dedication, can't imagine how great that must look in person

Dude it totally looks better in person. I was actually kicking myself for taking all the pics during daytime as well because it totally looks better at night alone. Like such an improvement when all the lights are only the ones I added. The pics still came out okay at least so you guys get the idea :)

I am only posting this as I just got done putting at least one thing in each cube. Now I need to go back and re do all my earlier ones as they were just not that good, I was learning just the basics on those. Now I am a bit better with the paints and what not. A lot of spray paints will eat and bubble styrofoam. So even if you need to use a color that will damage the piece you just have to spray a really good primer first, and colors of primer or base spray matter hugely as they will show through the piece.

One thing I just learned that looks amazing and is easy is to spray all your cracks in a street or spaces between tiles or whatever with thick lines of black spray paint. When it comes through after you paint the color you want on, it just looks perfectly worn/damaged but in a real world way. I dunno, got lots to learn still but thank you so much for the encouragement guys, it really means a lot and is helping keep my fire burning strong :)

Sweet dio's, I have my Diodor lights on the side of my detolfs now, think it looks better.

I got those LEDs that I am using on the cases from Amazon for only 20 bucks per set. They come with a remote control, can do a ton of colors and light show modes, and can be cut and resoldered anywhere. I fkn LOVE them! If anyone needs a link hit me up. But I have used the entire catalog of ikea and home depot lights and these are just so much better and cheaper with sooo many more options. Also the ikea lights do a real day time white light with a lot of orange in it. Prolly around 3500 kelvin. I think the blue white is so much better for these except in the case of using ikea lights for street lights as they are usually HPS bulbs and tend to shine fairly orange. Like in the case of the Control Center Hellicarrier one I did with Nick Fury and Coulson and Hill in it, I used an ikea light above the window display, like the paper print out I got in the back, to make it look more like sunlight coming in.

Just saying that the ikea lights came in useful for effect lighting, but overall the other ones can change colors and do so much more for general lighting needs on these guys. It also looks cool when you do a slow fade on them as they cycle each color but are slow enough that you can see the way each color effects the character. I also like setting them to blinking red like "emergency lighting" as also just looks cool as usually if you see the Avengers anywhere...**** is going down lol.

Super jealous of the setup!

Totally not that hard to do :) I already had a grow tent set up as a spray booth and vented with growing fans lol. I got a little box in there as well with a fan hooked up to such all the air "and paint" through the box and out the tent so I can do dust free and mask free painting. Did all that when I was customizing Transformers and it came in handy with all of these but is totally overkill for your average dude....... or in your case Super HOTTTTT Girl!!! lol.

But ya, just get Home Depot water heater styrofoam, it is pink and about $5. It is totally better then ANY of the foam at Hobby Lobby or like stores and costs about 1/3 as much. Paints are important, but default to Tamiya TS spray paints and or brush paints "they are cheap and work super good on foam, no bubbling or cracking". They also have this stone paint from Hobby Lobby - Krylon Stone Paint "Granite" - that works great too, but needs to be lightly sprayed in coats unlike the tamiya that you can just spray a ton on, but the stone stuff has a great effect and is kind of a one stop solution if you want to do it that way. You can also just use tamiya as a primer and then spray the *** out of the stone stuff lol. Airbrush or dry brush or just brush paint effects like cracks etc. Also get a can of Smoke colored spray paint "transparent black" works awesome and just completes most dioramas in that respect. Hope all that helps. I just like to share as there was a lot of failures along the way and those were the harder lessons I learned lol.

Back