1/6 Bandai stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RavenEye

Super Freak
Reaction score
Listed at 7020 yen equivalent to $69.

14441049_10155163995719989_9189910993665994297_n.jpg

Looks a bit blocky, but maybe that's just the artwork. Would love some real stormie troop builders that don't cost $200 a pop, but hopefully the helmet sculpt matches the iconic ANH stunt look that both Sideshow and HT missed.

That looks pretty good. I didn't know Bandai did 1/6 scale model kit figures. Thought it was just the 1/12. Interesting. I guess I'll think about this one.

-sigh-
at this point its like an embarrassment of riches with the amount of cool collectibles coming out.

Looks like Bandai is releasing a 1/6 scale stormtrooper model kit!

Fully articulated and looks to be about $70ish. Given the detail on their other models, I would venture to say this could be as good or better than the hot toys one.

IMG_9997.JPG

Re: Looks like Bandai is releasing a 1/6 scale stormtrooper model kit!

This sound interesting. I'll wait and see.
How are these Bandai kits? Are they easy to assemble? Do you need to paint them? Use glue?

How are these Bandai kits? Are they easy to assemble? Do you need to paint them? Use glue?

They are snap together, but you can use glue. Painting isn't necessary, but it adds to it. The kits they have released so far are incredibly detailed at 1:72 and 1/12 scale, so I can't imagine this would be less detailed than hot toys

This is great news and very promising!
I've often wondered why 1:6 companies today don't offer self assembly kits for a lower price point. Hot Toys did that with their Aliens Colonial Marines line (although not at reduced prices, it's HT after all) and although getting the body together was a bit of a pain, I enjoyed the experience more than if the release had been pre-assembled.
If it means lower prices on pre-painted 1:6 sets, than I'm ALL FOR IT!
Hopefully these are sold in the US at Toys R Us and Target for $70 a piece and look good in hand, I'm going to buy a ton of them!

Bandai Kits are great. Lots of detail, great molds, easy to build. Glue is usually not needed and paint can be optional on most kits. I generally add a bit of weathering to curb the new toy look.

They are snap together, but you can use glue. Painting isn't necessary, but it adds to it. The kits they have released so far are incredibly detailed at 1:72 and 1/12 scale, so I can't imagine this would be less detailed than hot toys
Having put together a few of the "snap-together" Star Wars ship model kits, Star Wars and Halo figures, I can tell you that glue is sometimes required. Not a big deal, their ships are some of the most highly detailed and finest you can buy for a reasonable sum of money. They also look much better with a good paint job.

Only possible issue with the Bandai 1:6 SW figures that I see are the joints. They're not the best on the smaller figures and have a tendency of popping loose. I don't know about their larger figures so maybe they have better joints on those.

Exactly what I said in the other thread. I generally add weathering, at least. My X-wing kit I put a lot of paint work into the pilot and then added lots of weathering, but it was all optional stuff. You generally get both water slide decals and adhesive decals so you can choose there and glue is not needed. There will likely be limited to no articulation, hence the price. I will definitely get one.

This is great news and very promising!
I've often wondered why 1:6 companies today don't offer self assembly kits for a lower price point. Hot Toys did that with their Aliens Colonial Marines line (although not at reduced prices, it's HT after all) and although getting the body together was a bit of a pain, I enjoyed the experience more than if the release had been pre-assembled.

Likely these will not have cloth elements which is disappointing. If they just designed some black cloth sections to cover up the joints then these could rival the big boys.

I love these Bandai Star wars kits. I haven't bought any figures yet as I tend to focus on the ships, but I may jump at this one.

Having put together a few of the "snap-together" Star Wars ship model kits, Star Wars and Halo figures, I can tell you that glue is sometimes required. Not a big deal, their ships are some of the most highly detailed and finest you can buy for a reasonable sum of money. They also look much better with a good paint job.

Only possible issue with the Bandai 1:6 SW figures that I see are the joints. They're not the best on the smaller figures and have a tendency of popping loose. I don't know about their larger figures so maybe they have better joints on those.

Their larger gundam figures, which are 12 inch, are really well articulated. The inner frame goes together with screws and is highly detailed

The most difficult part about these is cutting them off the spru trees cleanly. I recommend using a good sharp hobby knife for close work and spru cutters for removing them from the trees, far from the actual model piece. Also the cut points sometimes need a good sanding from a thin sanding stick, but Bandai kits are really well engineered and have no flash and hidden cut points that aren't visual from the exterior once assembled.
And these mostly snap together well enough, but sometimes need glue. They're usually cast in separate color pieces and assembled into a whole, but a good painting will always elevate a model.

I should also add that you will not find a better designed model kit with incredible detail for a reasonable price point than these Bandai kits!

My best advise would be to buy one of their smaller figure or ship model sets for cheap and practice putting one of them together before moving on to the larger more expensive stuff.

Back