Hasbro SW30 basic figures...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedibear

Figuring it out
CF Supporter
Reaction score
...are starting to hit. I know mentioning these around here might get some riled up & I'm not trying to start anything, but I thought some SW collectors here who still collect these (like me) might appreciate a heads-up

415287109_d1efbd1965.jpg

Jabba sent Bib out shopping and he scored one of each of wave 1 at KMart...

415287110_bbbf73d030.jpg

Now, whens the next Sideshow announcement? :lol

I think the McQuarrie line will be fun. I'll be getting those at least. I'm a sucker for clones though. Other than that, I'm pretty much strictly Sideshow now. However, that Vader shown at Toy Fair with all that battle damage is a must!

I just dont know if I have the heart to collect this line much longer. I have every piece almost since 95. I think this may be the last year.

jason2885 said:
I just dont know if I have the heart to collect this line much longer. I have every piece almost since 95. I think this may be the last year.

It's not the heart so much as the space! I think this is the last year for me too. I've seen the list of what's coming up for the first part of the year and it's alot of "fill-in-the-blanks" background characters (cantina/Jabba TR etc) which is good and alot of slight retools/repaints...not so good. And I agree with Buttmunch (hmmm, that sentence was weird to type:eek: ) about the McQuarrie line...I'd like to see other "concept" style figures from other SW artists too like McCaig, Johnston or Chaing...
The coin pack-ins make an interesting "bookend" for me, as I stopped collecting in the 80s when the vinatge line featured the coins.

I'll go for the basic figures this one last year...then it's Sideshow, Sideshow and more Sideshow!

jason2885 said:

now how many times have you said that since 95? i love the packaging and even though i said i was through with these i can't help feel an urge to look for them....no.....can't.....do.....it........

i really have tons of plastic tubs with mine in them and couldn't stand the thought of getting more to put into tubs......i will go by the toy section, just like I always do, when i go into a store though and look.

I stopped collecting Hasbro years ago, but I do want to get the McQuarrie figures. Any idea when these are supposed to come out?

I ended my insane collecting of the SW 3 3/4" figures shortly after TPM. Now my only question is: how do I unload all my carded figures and variants? :)

Have the new figures changed much in the last few years? When I stop by TRU or Target I always run to the toy aisle -- old habit -- and check out the new SW stuff... but its always picked clean of anything interesting. Usually all that's left are the repeats from years ago.

Wor-Gar said:
Have the new figures changed much in the last few years? When I stop by TRU or Target I always run to the toy aisle -- old habit -- and check out the new SW stuff... but its always picked clean of anything interesting. Usually all that's left are the repeats from years ago.
You know, I do the same thing. But even if there is a figure that I've never seen before, I don't buy it. The thrill is gone. :monkey2

These remind me of the Power of the Force wave from 85... 2 years after Jedi and the final vintage Kenner figures. When they added the coins it was the beginning of the end which is exactly what I am seeing with Hasblo... the beginning of the end.

It does amaze me just how long these Star Wars figures have been going on now. What an "Empire" it is.

The funny thing is, a good portion, maybe the majority, of these figures have been bought up by collectors over the years -- kept pristine in their boxes, in hopes of mucho dollars down the line. Lets face it, young or old these days, everyone has become a collector. When the line got its "second life" in 95 I remember a collector-trader told me that he buys now to sell today not tomorrow... he said there's so many people collecting these figures that, with few exceptions, they'll never be worth more than you paid. Never? Never. I thought he was crazy, and bought every one I could find. Doubles of that hard-to-come-by Royal Guard, every variant with the incorrect trays or the 0001 instead of the 0002, etc. Pure insanity. Now, with a storage room full of these things, and seeing the value on eBay, I completely understand how wise that collector-trader was. He must have been a Jedi.

Wor-Gar said:
It does amaze me just how long these Star Wars figures have been going on now. What an "Empire" it is.

The funny thing is, a good portion, maybe the majority, of these figures have been bought up by collectors over the years -- kept pristine in their boxes, in hopes of mucho dollars down the line. Lets face it, young or old these days, everyone has become a collector. When the line got its "second life" in 95 I remember a collector-trader told me that he buys now to sell today not tomorrow... he said there's so many people collecting these figures that, with few exceptions, they'll never be worth more than you paid. Never? Never. I thought he was crazy, and bought every one I could find. Doubles of that hard-to-come-by Royal Guard, every variant with the incorrect trays or the 0001 instead of the 0002, etc. Pure insanity. Now, with a storage room full of these things, and seeing the value on eBay, I completely understand how wise that collector-trader was. He must have been a Jedi.
:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl
It's funny because it's sad and true.

jedibear said:
...are starting to hit. I know mentioning these around here might get some riled up & I'm not trying to start anything, but I thought some SW collectors here who still collect these (like me) might appreciate a heads-up

415287109_d1efbd1965.jpg

Jabba sent Bib out shopping and he scored one of each of wave 1 at KMart...

415287110_bbbf73d030.jpg

Now, whens the next Sideshow announcement? :lol

I picked up a few yesterday and I have to say that the ones that I picked up had some of the best articulation for the 3 3/4 line. The Mace Windu was like the VOTC so I was happy with him. I too am moving away from this SW form and solely embracing SS... however, like any addict will tell you it's hard to let go. I didn't collect in '95 (other more academic/social pursuits) and TPM was only sporadic (mostly Maul)--- but it was the ROTS that pulled me in to my late 70's early 80's figure buying ways... I've got minimum two of each figure (all the variants and the carded ones lining the top of my office wall as a border) and too many to count have been stored away. What sucked me in fully was while most of the known world were fighting elbow to elbow at the release date I had my own personal Shangri-La Wal-Mart devoid of any collectors and I stood alone in the aisle with a shopping cart picking and choosing to select the exact figure I wanted...

The MacQuarrie stromtrooper is neat... I'd love for SS to put out a couple of these. Perhaps the strange bug/vampiric version of Chewie.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, LOOK! The same figures come in a NEW style BOX!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

The Lucas empire marches on.

KitFisto said:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, LOOK! The same figures come in a NEW style BOX!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

The Lucas empire marches on.

:zzwhip :zzwhip :zzwhip :zzwhip :zzwhip

I debated getting these and seriously considered picking Hasbro back up again just for the 30th but with how much I'm forking over to SSC and Hot Toys I may just go McQuarrie and display those proudly....

All I want is the Vintage style ones. Those are the only ones I am interested in anymore.

This years vintage ones look like they will be alot better than last years. I think Im going to go on a toy run this weekend something I have not done in about 2 months since I found all of the figures I still needed from last year.

For the most part, Im pretty done with these. I do want that coin album for the sweet mural on the back, though.

It's starting to hit Target. #087-06-0886

Seems like a lot of interest in the McQuarrie line (& rightly so)...

a heads-up...those cardbacks feature a slight difference to catch your eye when looking...

• a blue stripe & card wrap on the inside bubble
  • a "grid" over the "Star Wars" logo (very subtle)
  • a McQuarrie Painting (d'oh!) instead of the usual "in house" illustration

415714669_7d99770603_b.jpg

There are only these "official" announcements thus far as to what's coming in this series...

• Stormtrooper (out now...wave 1)
  • Boba Fett (wave 2)
  • Chewbacca (wave 3)
  • Darth Vader (TBA)
  • Luke Skywalker (TBA)
  • Threepio (rumored)

Now here's the bad part...each of these will be ONE per CASE. Here we go again....Hasbro comes up with a great idea that appeals to collectors and bam! They make it next to impossible to get. I think this line will become the "sleeper" hit of this 30AN collection...it's fresh, interesting, not a rehash and has great sentimental value for older collectors who have always admired McQuarrie's work (and it's long overdue in my book)...

Last edited:
jedibear said:
Now here's the bad part...each of these will be ONE per CASE. Here we go again....Hasbro comes up with a great idea that appeals to collectors and bam! They make it next to impossible to get.

Like GG and their exclusive busts, seems like the best stuff is the hardest to get. :rolleyes:

Back