Weta Metal 1/30 Scale Figures / Dioramas

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pork Chop Express

I never drive faster than I can see...
Reaction score
These just went up for Preorder.

1472079793156005c5baf40ff51a327f1c34f2975b.jpg
14720098198cd11dba525234740bfa017831486e6a.jpg
1472080312156005c5baf40ff51a327f1c34f2975b.jpg
1471906907156005c5baf40ff51a327f1c34f2975b.jpg
14721729625882d823f9ddb5fa3019ae462efa8a59.jpg

$49.99 each figure, $99 environment.

I ordered both wraiths and Elrond and checkout was pretty easy on their new website.
They're metal and if done well should turn out looking good. Reminds me of old D&D days. These might make for a nice collection, not sold on the environments yet, but that could change if I'm starting now with just the figures.

I can't bring myself to even consider dropping 50 bucks plus shipping each on these itty bitty 1/30 figurines. I think Weta is nuts with their pricing on these.

I can't bring myself to even consider dropping 50 bucks plus shipping each on these itty bitty 1/30 figurines. I think Weta is nuts with their pricing on these.

Agreed. Way over priced. I am a diorama nut who builds my own but this is going to cost pretty penny based on the view we had previously. Simply way over where it should be. Cut those prices in half and maybe they can have a line people can afford.

Based on the different pieces involved - and the initial price for figures and components - the finished product should be $1,000.00 US dollars or even a bit more.

Sorry - but that simply is too much money for me especially when lots of us advised against bases underneath the figures which destroy the illusion of reality and they have them anyways.

If I could get these at half price - yeah - I think I would do that. But not at these prices. Its just not in the cards.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I dont think the new helms will be any less, probably more. It's just what pricing is currently in this hobby accross all lines / scales. I'm interested enough to see what these are like in hand as I think there's potential for many more to be made, even without the environments bases.

When I was a kid there was a shop at a local swap meet that specialized in these types of figures and some of them were this much and more so the price isnt all that shocking considering the License and Retailer.

I agree totally. At this price this line for me is a complete failure.

WETA usually has a solid Black Friday sale in November and I would watch for these in November of 2017 as I do not expect them to move at all. The problem then becomes not if one is willing to pay 40% off but that the set will never really be completed as shown and all you will have is part of it.

Words cannot express how glad I was to see this line announced and then the real let down I now have with the over pricing of the line.

I hope when the WETA site gets back on line that people express their feelings on the issue and it has some effect.

Pricing really shouldn't be a shock as their products have continually become overprices of late. Things with an ES that sell out do very well, otherwise you are really left holding the bag if you need to sell. I want to say someone was offloading the Bilbo statue for 85 dollars last month! I can't seem to give the new Balrog away either.

Well done to Weta... they've managed to kill a line off before it has even begun. Prices on these are :horror Price on the whole dio will be roughly $1000USD without shipping, add in currency fluctuations around the globe and the prices are even more ridiculous... though after the way Weta handled the Minas Tirith enviro one shouldn't be surprised. :(

Last edited:
Not cheap for sure, but out of interest, where are people seeing other small scale metal figures, at the same quality, with or without the license requirements, that are much cheaper then these?

Not cheap for sure, but out of interest, where are people seeing other small scale metal figures, at the same quality, with or without the license requirements, that are much cheaper then these?

For me - that is not the standard I am using. Although the Eaglemoss figures come to mind at far far far less the price.

The standard I use is what am I getting for my money and how much I have to spend. I simply AM NOT willing part with $1000.00 or more to complete that Dol Guldur set with figures so small and with bases on them that I do NOT LIKE as it takes away from the true diorama feel of a miniature world. In life people do not have bases underneath them other than the natural things like ground or floors and things like that.

For me - that is not the standard I am using. Although the Eaglemoss figures come to mind at far far far less the price.

The standard I use is what am I getting for my money and how much I have to spend. I simply AM NOT willing part with $1000.00 or more to complete that Dol Guldur set with figures so small and with bases on them that I do NOT LIKE as it takes away from the true diorama feel of a miniature world. In life people do not have bases underneath them other than the natural things like ground or floors and things like that.

I was never really impressed with some of the Eagelmoss stuff. Some of it really didn't look all that good.

I thought the whole point of this line was to have a theatrical accurate (enough) diorama base from a specific scene. Understanding that price may be an issue why not just get the figures if you're so against bases?

If these turn out well in hand (and well enough for Weta to produce more) I'd probably get things I wouldn't purchase in a larger scale for any number of reasons.

I was never really impressed with some of the Eagelmoss stuff. Some of it really didn't look all that good.

I thought the whole point of this line was to have a theatrical accurate (enough) diorama base from a specific scene. Understanding that price may be an issue why not just get the figures if you're so against bases?

If these turn out well in hand (and well enough for Weta to produce more) I'd probably get things I wouldn't purchase in a larger scale for any number of reasons.

Forgive me if I did not express it well. I will try again.

I do NOT want figures on bases --- or plinths as I believe they are called in gaming figures .... or on anything that suggests they are not on the actual surface that the figure is supposed to be on. When I buy gaming figures for my dioramas I never use the bases and if they come with a slot for base attachment I remove that with power tools if the figure is metal or resin. I want the figure to be standing on its own two feet and then upon whatever environment is natural to that scene.

So in the case of Dol Guldur - each figure would simply be on the stone that is part of the floor or stairs or wall or whatever of Dol guilder.

I hope that makes sense.

But they did NOT do it that way. Most of the figures come on some sort of attached base that disrupts the illusion of reality that a good diorama should and must preserve.

Understood now Gideon, :duff.

At this point it's just wait and see, I can only hope it turns out well.

Flame of Udun is up and running now.

Great - yes we all must wait and see. I would like to collect this line and I am really hoping that I can pick these up on monthly specials or the Black Friday in November clearance sales they have. If I could get the figures at $30 to 35 US dollars and the environment segments for $60 or so - that would be doable for me.

My fear is that with the price system they have set, there will be few collectors willing to jump and the line will die out before it ever really has a chance.

I am not a true diorama collector or maker but I did invest in the Eaglemoss LOTR lead figures, all 180+ of them. I managed to pick them up of the 'Bay in bulk lots etc with 3 specials bought direct.
They are nicely sculpted and the painting ranges from well done to 'here kids, paint this!' but as a set it is fascinating to me and I have even built a themed cabinet to display them all in.

The Weta range is pricey, everyone is agreeing on that, however I would simply say don't dismiss them simply on that basis. The thought of buying miniatures never entered my mind until I bought the Eaglemoss pieces and I must say that I have probably handled these little figures more than any other statue/ figure in my collection simply because they are made for 'playing' with. Gideon makes a good point about how they should be baseless and stand on their own feet as this means you get to place them where you want, but the beauty of these miniatures is they do make you want to move them around.

Don't give up on them yet. The cost's may well come down as they did with the 1/6 statues when they reabsorbed the massive tax hike!

Back