What is your reading WPM?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robopredinator

Super Freak
Reaction score
In prepping for the GRE, I've noticed that the reading section bogs my reading down considerably. I know that the picked material is wordy and extremely dry which hinders flow but lately I've become entrapped in this idea that maybe I'm just a slow reader.

I did not find any scientific research that corroborated Staples' 300 WPM, which came from a website trying sell speed reading tips based on their linked sources at the bottom of the page. I did find one study that found reading speeds within the English language to be 228 +/- 30 words per minute. Just wondering what speeds you guys are reaching.

Here's the test: https://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/technology-research-centers/ereaders/speed-reader/

Speed reading seems to me a lot like speed eating. It takes something pleasurable and turns it into an ordeal.

:lol:lol Guess watching doesn't exist too.

screen-shot-2014-11-24-at-1-59-38-am.png

I kept tripping up on the odd wordings. But I'm average. I'm sure I could have read it faster but just read at a leisure pace and reread some odd things.

That being said, that passage was never real. Only what my mind concocted was real.

Speed means nothing, it's comprehension that's important.

Speed means everything for standardized tests. You don't want to spend more than a minute going through the reading sections. The key, is to read chunks of sentences as blocks instead of reading each word individually.

In any case, I got 534 WPM in that Staples test with 3/3 correct answers.

Back