Captain Toy Picks...Ten Best Sixth Scale Figures!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
All my readers are highly intelligent of course, but one in particular (hey Kyle!) came up with a suggestion. How about my top ten all time picks for best sixth scale figure? I thought that was a great idea, so I put such a list together this week. Remember, this is going to be HIGHLY personal, and it's pretty unlikely you're going to agree with many of my choices, or I with yours. But that's part of the fun:

https://www.mwctoys.com/FEATURE-081216.htm

If you like this idea, let me know - I'm thinking about doing it as a regular thing, like Top Ten Mini-Busts, Top Ten Prop Replicas, Top Ten Horror Figures, that sort of thing. What do you think?

A top 10 list of 1:4th will not leave much choice, Michael--as there are so few out there.

How about top 10 prop replicas! You have reviewed many of those over the many years. I own none and I am always tempted to pull the trigger. That TOS Star Trek TV remote phaser is beckoning me-if only to have it as a prop!

I like your top ten; here is mine: no particular order

Hot Toys Godfather
Hot Toys BD Robo Cop Murphy
DX 08
DX 09
Hot Toys Mech Test Tony Stark
QMX Spock/Kirk
Spenser's Tron Figures
Hot Toys Terminator Salvation John Connor
Storm Toys Tyson (2nd Version)
Hot Toys DX 13

In no particular order:

• Magneto "DOFP" (Toys Era)
• Joker DX11 "TDK" (Hot Toys)
• Luke Skywalker DX07 "ESB" (Hot Toys)
• Tony Stark Armor Test "IM3" (Hot Toys)
• Han and Chewie Set "ANH" (Hot Toys)
• Bane "TDKR" (Hot Toys)
• Whiplash "IM2" (Hot Toys)
• Rick Grimes (Iminime)
• Iron Man MK45 "AOU" (Hot Toys)

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

So many more that I just cant pick

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

So this is FAVORITE not BEST? Best, at least to me, implies highest quality of production and most representative of the source character/likeness/costume etc. irrespective of personal feelings about the character or source material. That said, it's an interesting list and always cool to hear how figures fare when compared over the years.

Two Jokers? I would have taken Ledger out and replaced it with the Christopher Reeve Superman. Talk about a grail piece. With the Fortress of Solitude and one of the best portraits ever done in 1/6 scale.

Now how about the ten worst figures? That could be just as fun!

1. HT Mark I 2.0
2. HT Mark 45
3. HT Loki (Avengers)
4. HT Ant-Man
5. HT T-800 DX13
6. HT Batman '89
7. HT Joker (Nicholson purple)
8. HT Jack Sparrow DX06
9. Asmus Nazgul + Steed (with work)
10.... ???

In no particular order. All figures that I own, otherwise DX13 T-800 would be there.

Dragon Astronaut (Neil Armstrong)
HT Godfather
Tamashii Nations C-3PO
HT SW Stormtrooper
HT DX Jack Sparrow
HT DX Bruce Lee
EB Mr Bean
HT Batman & Robin (taken as the set they should've been)
DiD Captain Millers
HT DX11 Joker

10.... ???

= Asmus Gandalf :lecture

Loved the list, Michael. I was actually hoping you'd do something like this one day. I like the idea of doing a ten worst 1/6th scale figure and also maybe 10 best 6-7 inch scale superhero figures.

Loved the list, Michael. I was actually hoping you'd do something like this one day. I like the idea of doing a ten worst 1/6th scale figure and also maybe 10 best 6-7 inch scale superhero figures.

The ten worst figures of all time are the ones currently up for pre-order. They lose this status once released and in-hand, when they'll transform into the best figure ever.

So this is FAVORITE not BEST? Best, at least to me, implies highest quality of production and most representative of the source character/likeness/costume etc. irrespective of personal feelings about the character or source material. That said, it's an interesting list and always cool to hear how figures fare when compared over the years.

I'd be very much unable to give a 'best' list from an objective standpoint as I just do not have a wide sample of even Hot Toys let alone other companies aswell.

So with extreme bias towards only what I have personal experience of:

1) Hot Toys MMS266 BD Robocop & Alex Murphy set (pretty much perfection to me)
2) Hot Toys MMS203 Robocop w/Mechanical Chair (incredible set and sculpt let down only by nice but inaccurate paintjob)
3) Hot Toys DX09 Keaton Batman
4) Hot Toys DX08 Nicholson Joker
5) Hot Toys MMS152 Reeve Superman
6) Hot Toys MMS257 Marty McFly (sold it but actually thought it was an excellent figure)
7) Hot Toys MMS136 Tech Noir T-800 (particularly with pants and boots from MMS238)
8) Hot Toys DX13 T2 BD T-800 (there's things I don't like but as a set it's incredible)
9) Hot Toys MMS129 T-1000 (fantastic set though the sculpt isn't ageing well IMO)
10) Hot Toys DX14 Mime Joker (poor set but excellent sculpt)

Personally, I wouldn't have the DX10 Terminator in the list. The sculpt is so-so at best and unsightly at worst, the outfit can't decide what scene it's supposed to represent and the lack of weathering really makes the figure more like a mannequin than a shrunken down Terminator.

The DX10 is on the list because of the extras but the article did not specify which particular accessories "sold" you to it and why.

Also the DX06, arguably one of the best ever produced, is left out. Any particular reason?

Appreciate the Captain's insight.

Although I also disagree on his choices, again, he would equally disagree with mine.

Its hard to take initiative to write such a debatable blog with some justification on why he choose them.

There is no such thing - if you think personal opinion doesn't effect your decision on 'best', you're just fooling yourself.

It was fun - I plan on doing some more. I may do the worsts too - that could lead to some very interesting discussion.

Back