Custom Vader Shelf for PF Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phastroh

Super Freak
Reaction score
I decided 2 days before delivery of my Vader PF I was going to make the shelf he's sitting on a custom Death Star theme. Well part way into it I decided to expand my idea. Add to that the wood I chose was not the best one and too many stringy splinters doomed my $50 project but has led my to revise and expand my idea to something that now seems possible.

I wanted to cover my whole shelf so the back wall was a bit too wide to get away with a few 2x4 foot sheets so I purchased a full 8x4 footb1/2 MDF board. Now the back wall is 32"x26.5" but with 1/2 cut out it will weigh about as much as a 1/4" piece. I wanted to go 1/4" with 4 pieces being used so I may have a lot of 1/2 MDF to use on future projects.

So what's the project look like?

This is a pic of all the pieces followed by my failed back wall and then the new MDF post hole saw pre jig saw.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

So the front cover will be a 2" deep rounded corner like a Death Star doorway. I'll use Vinyl stickers since I can't cut that out like that. I'll make the ceiling have the horizontal drop ceiling strips and possibly put my LED light strips up in there.

The side walls slide behind the back wall so there no crappy seems.

I'll be finishing up the cutting of the back wall tonight and start sanding tomorrow. I will then decide on the sidewall thickness. I will likely go thin because with the sidewalls have the cutouts that go on top.

image.jpg

Both side walls are done buts here's one. It's tough with a jig saw. I'll sand them a bit but it won't be perfect.

Love how the 220 sand paper makes the gray look like metal. I'm not planning on leaving it like that. I already painted it again. Tomorrow I'll sand it where I missed and get rid of drips. I never spray careful till I've sanded and sprays a few times then I'll dust from far away. I like to spray a lot on the MDF at first oh well.image.jpg

Just noticed how light gray it looks but it's not. It's dark like that back piece above.

Back