2016 Rio Summer Olympic Games!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree... but beyond how crappy things have been handled, I am happy for the athletes and the people like us who are fans .... The Olympics are my favourite event. I still dream of going to one in person.

I was in Sydney when the games were on there, it was brilliant. Pre-9/11, perfect weather, loads of street parties...

I'll try to catch some swimming, diving, soccer, hockey, equestrian, cycling, gymnastics, blue-ribbon track and sevens.

got a few mins of the opening

can't wait to see my county win

kinda sucks the overwhelming advantage the us has with like 500 athletes where other countries have 5 but hey who am i? a genius?

Canada does well. Considering we have a small population and we don't fund our athletes like the US does, we do well by comparison. At the Winter Olympics we finished ahead of them (25 to their 28), but had more Gold medals. And in the Summer Olympics, we had 18 to your 103... but I feel we did great considering the population between the two countries is nearly 10 times the difference. :)

But I love the US as well. So I am happy for them as well.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter how many athletes or how much money is spent, it all comes down to the individual competition.

Doesn't matter how many athletes or how much money is spent, it all comes down to the individual competition.

I don't care at all about the overall medal tally, it's the individual/team sports comps I'm interested in.

I don't care at all about the overall medal tally, it's the individual/team sports comps I'm interested in.

I don't either. Actually, this Olympics I'm just not caring much about. I watch a little of the equestrian and that's about it.

True... the individual stuff is awesome and seeing the stories. The grueling work they all put in. But I am a stats guy. hehe

But I love the Olympics for many reasons.... God I love it! I'll watch that Ween. Keep posting!

True... the individual stuff is awesome and seeing the stories. The grueling work they all put in. But I am a stats guy. hehe

But I love the Olympics for many reasons.... God I love it! I'll watch that Ween. Keep posting!

Over under on Canada's total metals ? I say no more then 10.... Summer sports are not our thing

I like watching everythig, men's cycling road race yesterday was pretty exciting on the last descent. 3 guys out in front and two crash. U.S. Women's basketball just beat Senegal by 66 points. I like seeing a worthy competitor win and the drama unfold but always want to see my country do well.

I knew it had to happen eventually during Olympic coverage, micro-bikinis in the background. :lol

Over under on Canada's total metals ? I say no more then 10.... Summer sports are not our thing

I disagree, 18 medals in the last Summer Olympics say otherwise. We did very well when you consider population and funding into the equation.

https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/canada-shocks-united-states-men-volleyball.html

Canada upset the USA in Men's volleyball! Way to go guys!

And man Italy is racking up the medals of late. 2 Golds and 7 medals. Woweeee. And the first Philippine Olympic Medal in 20 years. And the first one by a female. Silver for weight lifting.

Love the Olympics! Summer or Winter, it doesn't matter! It's amazing! Best time is the Olympics. I will go as far to say this even beats hockey for me. And if you know me, you know I love my hockey. I just love the spirit of the games. I need to volunteer at a games. I need to be a part of it somehow.

I'm DVRing the Opening. It's hard getting excited for this one, just for the fact that Rio should have never been the host city

Very underwhelming OC IMO, other than the sequence with the fake Brazilian pilot and very first airplane and Giselle dancing with the crowd, very cheaply executed OC. London and China were more impressive.

They did say Rio had a small budget though :thud: but c'mon it's the Olympics you had years to prepare

Very underwhelming OC IMO, other than the sequence with the fake Brazilian pilot and very first airplane and Giselle dancing with the crowd, very cheaply executed OC. London and China were more impressive.

They did say Rio had a small budget though :thud: but c'mon it's the Olympics you had years to prepare

I thought it was nicely understated myself, I quite enjoyed it. The whole 'eco' bent was a bit curious though, given the carbon footprint of hosting the games in the first place and the fact that Brazil has happily presided over the destruction of large swathes of its rainforests.

Back