STTOS Phaser replica/universal remote review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
I really thought I was going to light it up with tonight's review - then the more I played with it and thought about it, the less angry I got. Think of it as a reverse Eastwood. I'm checking out the Star Trek Original Series Phaser prop replica and universal remote control from the Wand Company (and Think Geek). The problem is that it is really great at being one...and really bad at being the other. You can find my review here:

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-080516a.htm

or with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!

Michael

Just an FYI:
If you try to use the dilithium discount for 30% off you get this message:
"This item is excluded from the promotion you are using and its price is not included in calculating your overall discount."
So typical of Think Geek.

I enjoyed the review! I have the same DST Phaser but I'm not sure I need this upgrade despite how much I love Trek and this particular version of the phaser. Are the silver fins in the back and the round silver muzzle ring pieces metal or plastic?

Muzzle ring is metal. I think the fins are as well - the FAQ I linked to goes into great detail.

As to the coupon, that's annoying. I wouldn't work for the Communicator, but that's a pre-order so I figured it wouldn't.

Yeah, I was all set to buy this at $105, but the discount code does not work.

Just an FYI:
If you try to use the dilithium discount for 30% off you get this message:
"This item is excluded from the promotion you are using and its price is not included in calculating your overall discount."
So typical of Think Geek.

Muzzle ring is metal. I think the fins are as well - the FAQ I linked to goes into great detail.

As to the coupon, that's annoying. I wouldn't work for the Communicator, but that's a pre-order so I figured it wouldn't.
I read the faq, they stated what originally was machined aluminum they made in dye cast Zinc but did not indicate the fins in the back are metal. That would explain why it's hard to tell what's metal and not paint as the machined aluminum on the original and on other replicas I've seen have a highly reflective quality that this prop does not. That's the most disappointing thing about this prop replica for me. I wish they just ditched the stupid and impractical uni. remote feature and just gave us a perfect replica which this is just so damn close to being!

It's still cheaper than buying metal components which are available for the DST Phaser and building a better looking replica, which is actually quite common place.

Yeah, I was all set to buy this at $105, but the discount code does not work.

It would've been a great deal! I think I'll ask someone to get this for Christmas for me unless a real discount code comes along.

As a replica it is - even at full price, even assuming you won't use it as a remote, it's worth it. It makes it hard to understand why some of the other replicas out there cost what they do.

Yeah I bought it for a replica only. I have the master replica assault phaser and needed a TOS phaser was not willing to pay the price of the Master replica TOS phaser, bought this and was very very pleased. Actually I was shocked how accurate a replica it was and the nine different phaser sounds was so cool.

When I looked the remote control part of the phaser it did not look too functional too me. As you stated in your review the remote control part is not the best. I also noticed they have a blue tooth TOS communicator hope you are able to do a review of that in the future.

Hope so - I'm really, really tempted for $150, but I'm holding out to see if ThinkGeek has any coupons or sales.

Me too with a code from thinkGeek I will be picking up the communicator will go well with the phaser as a replica. I also think the Bluetooth feature on the communicator may be functional and I could possible use it as more then just a replica.

Even at $150.00 its still the cheapest replica you can buy, since there is no edition size you can wait to buy it on sale

I read the faq, they stated what originally was machined aluminum they made in dye cast Zinc but did not indicate the fins in the back are metal. That would explain why it's hard to tell what's metal and not paint as the machined aluminum on the original and on other replicas I've seen have a highly reflective quality that this prop does not. That's the most disappointing thing about this prop replica for me. I wish they just ditched the stupid and impractical uni. remote feature and just gave us a perfect replica which this is just so damn close to being!

It's still cheaper than buying metal components which are available for the DST Phaser and building a better looking replica, which is actually quite common place.

It would've been a great deal! I think I'll ask someone to get this for Christmas for me unless a real discount code comes along.

Mine is still in transit from BBTS so I can't say first hand, but from what the FAQ states, yes the fins (hear sink) are nickle-plated, hand polished, cast zinc.

Wand Company ST:TOS Phaser FAQ said:
Materials

The hero prop is made from a range of different materials including fibreglass, brass, aluminium, resin and acrylic. In order to keep the cost as reasonable as possible we have used the nearest equivalent material that is suitable for modern manufacturing methods. Generally, where metal has been used in the construction of the hero prop, we have used metal in the Phaser replica. In the hero prop, where aluminium is used for the muzzle, side door, heat sink, side rails, thumbwheel, and selector dial, we have used hand-polished, nickel-plated, die cast zinc. The grip of the original is made from hand painted brass tube embellished with popsicle sticks – our replica is also painted, but is made from die cast zinc. The original Phaser I and II bodies are made in fibreglass and have been painted (a number of times through the prop’s history), and we have replicated these parts as closely as possible in lacquer coated, injection moulded ABS. Finally, where the original hero prop uses cast resin or acrylic for the transparent elements, such as the nozzles and lens covers, we have used acrylic and a water-clear co-polyester called Tritan, to achieve the best optical clarity and mouldablity.

I can't wait until mine gets here! Between Michael's review and what I'm seeing here, this should be well worth the price.

Mine is still in transit from BBTS so I can't say first hand, but from what the FAQ states, yes the fins (hear sink) are nickle-plated, hand polished, cast zinc.

Ah, I didn't notice that. It's nice that everything that should be metal is a type of metal, It's bad that it doesn't have the shiny finish it should. Still, it's a nice looking prop!

HEADS UP!
The Phaser Remote/Prop is currently on sale at Think Geek!
https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1db4/
You get standard free shipping on orders over $75.
There's also other select Star Trek stuff on sale for today only. And free shipping for orders over $30, code is SULACO
https://www.thinkgeek.com/interests...=1220334276&linkid=94747379_feature1_startrek
That free shipping over $30 code expires at the end of 8.24.16.

It's $139.99 with free shipping. It comes out to $149.04 with $9.05 sales tax for me! so basically it's on sale for the price of taxes. I didn't think we need to pay taxes for web purchases. Not sure I'm going to click place order yet.

Last edited:
HEADS UP!
The Phaser Remote/Prop is currently on sale at Think Geek!
https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1db4/
You get standard free shipping on orders over $75.
There's also other select Star Trek stuff on sale for today only. And free shipping for orders over $30, code is SULACO
https://www.thinkgeek.com/interests...=1220334276&linkid=94747379_feature1_startrek
That free shipping over $30 code expires at the end of 8.24.16.

It's $139.99 with free shipping. It comes out to $149.04 with $9.05 sales tax for me! so basically it's on sale for the price of taxes. I didn't think we need to pay taxes for web purchases. Not sure I'm going to click place order yet.

I saw this on their site just now and am very tempted. It certainly looks great in Michaels review.

Well I went ahead and ordered it. Can't wait to get it!
Awesome!
I was verrrrrry tempted! I own both the DST TOS Phaser and the ST III Phaser so I have something that fulfills the need for a Phaser to play around with.
Too bad they didn't make this a prop replica that shot a powerful visible laser beam instead of wasting the cost on the Uni Remote feature. There have been some hardcore Trekkers out there that convert the DST Phaser to instead fire a real laser beam to amazing results, and it would be so much fun to play with something like that!

You guys do realize there's a REASON it's a universal remote - and it's the same reason the communicator is bluetooth?

It's all about licensing. I believe QMX has the license for high-end Trek props (and DST, of course, has the "toy" versions, and Roddenberry has their prop "kits") . In fact, IIRC, QMX showed off some prototypes last year at SDCC 2015, but nothing this year. So I think it's a pretty safe bet that these are made with these extra bits so that they can license them and not run up against some legal hurdle.

FWIW, I've had one of these for a long time, and I love it. It does suck as a remote, but it's a great prop replica, and it fits well with my other Trek props. I'm not as impressed with the communicator - the lid doesn't look anything like the polished brass of the originals. The inside looks good, but that lid needs a replacement.

Back