1/6 - Big Chief Studios - Gladiator - The Spaniard Collector Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwedishHeat

Super Freak
Reaction score
Figured it was time this figure got its own thread. BCS posted this on Facebook a few days ago.

13710612_10154950637031002_210986362463437913_o.jpg

I don't like the likeness. It has hints of Russell Crowe but looks more like a cousin of the actor instead of the actual thing.

Man, when it rains, it pours! (1) Where were these companies about a decade ago when people were hankering for even just one decent Maximus figure? (2) Can't these companies somehow plan better and review what everyone else is doing, so they can focus on characters that no one has done yet, like Mel Gibson's Mad Max?

I think the likeness is actually quite good; it's the way the head is turned that is odd. I feel bad for Big Chief and other companies that take up legitimate licenses that have been heavily visited by unlicensed mass producers. Like I hope Breaking Bad has been a success for ThreeZero.

I think the likeness is actually quite good; it's the way the head is turned that is odd. I feel bad for Big Chief and other companies that take up legitimate licenses that have been heavily visited by unlicensed mass producers. Like I hope Breaking Bad has been a success for ThreeZero.

Yeah, I agree its a shame that a company that paid for the licence and rights gets unfavorably compared to unlicenced products.

That being said.... I also agree with Gipetto that the Pangaea looks way better.

I will pick up as I don't have a Gladiator figure...if sculpt is bad will just switch it out.
Happy out with this and Redman Driver figures.

Likeness isn't as good as Pangaea's. I gave mine a CM Toys seamless body, and it's perfect.

glad2.jpg

I feel bad for Big Chief and other companies that take up legitimate licenses that have been heavily visited by unlicensed mass producers. Like I hope Breaking Bad has been a success for ThreeZero.

Generally speaking, I agree, but I also think in today's market that is why you don't buy the license unless you are sure you can knock it out of the park. Because a great many potential customers don't care about official nearly as much as they care about what looks best on their shelves and as part of their collection. This is a visual medium, the best looking and most accurate piece will win.

The official path of the license game ain't cheap, and ain't easy, so companies have to make sure that the end result is something special, both to attract the customer, and also to protect their own investment. If they fall short of that, particularly if it is a long way short, things won't end pretty for anyone. Good intentions won't get you across the line, you need to bring it, quality wise. Because there's no charity purchases in the crowded and expensive high end collectors mass market.

Just my take, anyhow.

Big Chief is going to have a very hard time expanding. Their prices are at Hot Toys level, but their final product paint apps are at Sideshow levels...and the ones from some years ago. So far they have been able to manage because they were the only ones offering a product (Doctor Who) but I don't see them prepared to compete in the current 1:6 world once they start working on other licences.

The problem with this figure just based on that one pic is that this is what is readily available in making a Crowe gladiator: Pic courtesy of Thrustmaster
gladiator-tm-1.png

To be fair, the BC pic shows their head at an unnatural angle and slightly distorted.

Really? I don't think it's the greatest likeness, but it still looks closer to me than... whoever the Pangaea sculpt is supposed to be.

agreed. the pangaea doesn't look like crowe to at all to me... this new one is a much greater likeness

Mixed and matched and made a couple things up to now, so can't wait for the details on this.

Leather outfit is my number one choice, so really hoping they make that.

003_1_zpswggnzibi.jpg

Back