Hot Toys : Still number one?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xipotec

Super Freak
Reaction score
There has been always been increasing criticisms and discussions about particular sculpts and license choices. The HT threads seem very active lately and the polarization about each figure seem to be growing. In the past, many sculpts seemed to reach a much higher approval rating overall.

With continued rising prices, is Hot Toys hitting the mark more often than not?
Is the value and quality the same as a few year ago? (Has HT peaked?)
What producer might be stepping up to steal the Hot Toys crown?

Cite examples of past and present and let see if HT is still justified as the best figure maker!

I think the sheer number of releases makes Hot Toys numero uno. I think they peaked about 2010 MMS 100ish--for quality vs. price though. I am buying FAR less from them and spreading my collecting $ elsewhere. Mainly due to lack of interest in Marvel and DC movies of late.

As for which company can fill a potential void.

Blitzway, QMX, (cough...) Sideshow, and a few others. But...Hot Toys has the hot licenses and this cannot be discounted.

I'm wondering myself if it has peaked. Many companies seem to be doing the same thing, jumping on the Star Wars, Marvel and DC bandwagon - and it seems like anything that isn't related to those licenses, HT just doesn't seem to care as much about now. I used to buy just HT but I'm finding the last six months I've bought or preordered more figures from other companies as they seem more willing to do the stuff I'm interested in. And some of those companies are extremely impressive with regard to the new figures they are putting out there.

Hot Toys quality has gone way down, IMO. I mean look at the electronics debacle with Vader, persistent rubber rot issues, etc.

Until any other company can make as many MCU, DC, and Star Wars figures at the same rate and quality, HT will continue to dominate.

pr174176-2-2294212-640x640-b-p-000000.jpg

Hopefully Hot Toys won't use their ****ty degrading rubber for their potato tubers. Plastic, articulated tubers all the way! :lecture

Tubers made by Phicen are a different story, of course.

So a thread that discusses who is producing the best figures and might be on HT's tail merit's no discussion......
Which company is a 'number two'?

I think here are a few possible......just because HT has the largest market share dose NOT make them the "best"....following this logic Walmart is your source for quality items at the best prices.....

As far as volume I think SS is a clear second.....

For Quality, there are ALOT of contenders. BILTZWAY, PCS, Enterbay Medicom.

After what we have seen revealed at SDCC I think its a VERY interesting question. HT is dropping the ball all over the place, especially the last year or so.....

Last edited:
Agreed. While I don't think Hot Toys will implode per se, I do think the number of people who are scaling back on purchasing them is increasing, even if slowly. Now with other contenders such as Blitzway, Enterbay, PCS, etc. entering the fray I do believe that Hot Toys will have some "much needed" competition even if it's not as noticeable at first due to Hot Toys holding a "full house" with Star Wars, Marvel, and DC. I would love to see reactions as to what if another company also acquired the same licenses as Hot Toys and were making the same figures as them with the same quality (maybe slightly better) but at a cheaper price, if that were to happen would people buy two of the same figure, discard one and buy the other, or just stick with Hot Toys since that's what they've known for so long?

On a side note, I quite like the topic of this thread, I think it would be funny and interesting to see that if the day does come when another company has finally de-throned Hot Toys, what people's thoughts and opinions were leading up to that moment.

On a side note, I quite like the topic of this thread, I think it would be funny and interesting to see that if the day does come when another company has finally de-throned Hot Toys, what people's thoughts and opinions were leading up to that moment.

QMX is heading there, judging by how well they treat their customers. I lost my loyalty to HT years ago.

Judging by all these different companies taking on 1/6 scale projects as revealed at SDCC, it looks like HT is trying to get dethroned

I think it's inevitable that Hot Toys will be bettered.

Hopefully a little competition makes for better product and lower prices instead of one company dominating the field.

It's not even a question. It's obviously hot toys without one company even coming as a close contender.

They produce at least five times the 1/6 content than any other brand including sideshow and it's consistently for the biggest box office lisences. They are a monster no one has come close to touching yet.

I do think they peaked about 5 years ago and may even have been dropping off in terms of quality, sculpt, acessories and price etc.

But it doesn't mean any company is coming close to to beating them even if there is a nice figure here and there.

Blitzway has released two figures in three years and all of their lisences are from properties from over 15 years ago. All of what I love obviously but they are not exactly cash cow properties.

Enterbay, do they even make things anymore?

Medicom has never made anything that doesn't look like a cheap toy.

Sideshow's volume is way less than hot toys and hot toys took their lisences anyway. They have been struggling to release product that looks a fraction as good as hot toys and think they can charge the same price as them.

Star ace has good looking product more lisences than blitzway a few major lines like Harry Potter, but it's no iron man in terms of scale.

Threezero is kind of a joke in my opinion, sub par product released way way too slow when they have very relevant lines that could make them a lot of money.

Qmx seems to have a hit or missed based off of what sculptor they commission to work for them, Star Trek and firefly have a following but not relevant or current like threezero and hence low sale potential.

It's not even a question. It's obviously hot toys without one company even coming as a close contender.

They produce at least five times the 1/6 content than any other brand including sideshow and it's consistently for the biggest box office lisences. They are a monster no one has come close to touching yet.

I do think they peaked about 5 years ago and may even have been dropping off in terms of quality, sculpt, acessories and price etc.

But it doesn't mean any company is coming close to to beating them even if there is a nice figure here and there.

Blitzway has released two figures in three years and all of their lisences are from properties from over 15 years ago. All of what I love obviously but they are not exactly cash cow properties.

Enterbay, do they even make things anymore?

Medicom has never made anything that doesn't look like a cheap toy.

Sideshow's volume is way less than hot toys and hot toys took their lisences anyway. They have been struggling to release product that looks a fraction as good as hot toys and think they can charge the same price as them.

Star ace has good looking product more lisences than blitzway a few major lines like Harry Potter, but it's no iron man in terms of scale.

Threezero is kind of a joke in my opinion, sub par product released way way too slow when they have very relevant lines that could make them a lot of money.

Qmx seems to have a hit or missed based off of what sculptor they commission to work for them, Star Trek and firefly have a following but not relevant or current like threezero and hence low sale potential.

It pains me to say it, but I think you're absolutely right. Are there other companies who have licenses that can sell well? Yup. Are there other companies that have the same (or better, in some cases) quality level? Yup. Are there any right now that have BOTH? Nope.

There's gotta be a company that releases great product on a great schedule, proves themselves to both consumers AND Hollywood, and is willing to take the loss if product doesn't sell until they're able to get that one great license that puts them over the top. I thought Asmus was poised to do that - but unfortunately, The Hobbit was horrible and LOTR isn't what it used to be, and their releases aren't up to snuff. Then I thought ThreeZero had a chance. Have they even released a Walking Dead figure yet besides the dead walkers? (Not a fan of that show, but I know it's very popular).

I for one am ECSTATIC about QMX's Trek line, and I'll have to hide the fact from my wife that I will buy each and every one (assuming the quality holds up, of course). But I realize that I'm not in the core collecting demographic there. I hope they'll do well, but I know that Trek figures historically don't do well past the main "core" characters. Maybe the increased sales with being in the 1/6 scale will help them over the hump a bit.

Back