HIYA Toys: Aliens line (A:CM mostly so far, but more to come!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbisont

Super Freak
Reaction score
These guys don't have a thread that I'm aware of, and as a result get mentioned a lot in the Aliens NECA thread. That spamming of the NECA thread mostly pisses people off, so I thought maybe we better give them there own outlet.

Besides, despite their lackluster marines and foundation in an unpopular video game, to me THIS image earned them some street cred back.

sdcc-2016-hiya-toys-setup-13.jpg

They already produced some alien creatures, the power loader, and marines.
With the prototypes they are showing, it leads one to believe they will keep going. I wonder how far they will take it?

full link here:
https://pop-critica.com/sdcc-2016-hiya-toys-4-aliens-aliens-aliens-oh-power-loader-apc/

Last edited:
Re: HIYA TOYS: ALIENS LINE (A:CM mostly)

That APC looks great!
I skipped on the figures, but their vehicles might be worth picking up.

Re: HIYA Toys: Aliens line (A:CM mostly)

These things are more expensive than NECA figures on BBTS. What am I missing?

I wasn’t interested until I saw that Crusher. A Crusher vs. APC is very tempting.

They are expensive for their size but I will say they look pretty detailed and that APC looks pretty cool. If the tooling dollars are going more for the larger vehicles and aliens like the crusher then this line may be a shoe in for me. Cannot see another company giving us Aliens vehicles in any scale thus far so this is the best bet.

i picked up a lurker alien at my local comic book store and i have to admit it is pretty cool but pricey 24.99, the power loader is going for 100.00, so does anyone know how much the apc would go for

What I don't get is how the paint on their Powerloader and APC look so good, while the marines are soooo bad. Forget sculpt. I imagine they didn't pay the likeness rights and that is why we got generic and video game character sculpts. But the paint disparity is odd.

Can't remember if it was facebook or twitter, but someone called them out on their nonsensical camo patterns and they implied Fox made them use that kind of camo. That sounds obsurd, but it is clear no effort was made to go screen (or even 'game') accurate camo. It had to be a conscious decision to go 'oddball'. Just so wierd.

The APC is a pretty cool playset but obviously undersized.
A lot of those pics do make it look undersized. However, everything does fit. (Except an engine, which wouldn't have fit in the real prop interior either:wink1:) You can even make out the front of a chair under the turret where the other 8 seats are located. Looks like they may have even included those.

Really I don't think its that bad. Here it is with a side shot comparing it to a production set photo. It doesn't really prove anything for 'length', but the height and relation of wheels to people looks pretty spot on.
Hiya size comp.jpg

A lot of those pics do make it look undersized. However, everything does fit. (Except an engine, which wouldn't have fit in the real prop interior either:wink1:) You can even make out the front of a chair under the turret where the other 8 seats are located. Looks like they may have even included those.

Really I don't think its that bad. Here it is with a side shot comparing it to a production set photo. It doesn't really prove anything for 'length', but the height and relation of wheels to people looks pretty spot on.
View attachment 280728

I agree, they have it about right. As you know the prop - as it was built on an airport aircraft tug - was pretty much all taken up by the engine. But the fictional movie vehicle - there is technology around starting to be used today called the In-Wheel Drive System - where the motors that make the vehicle move are located actually within the wheel itself. So there are emerging technologies around that enable the whole engine thing to work.

Huh...I didn't notice the seating under the turret at all and so I couldn't think of how an entire squad of marines would fit inside - thus my assumption that I was looking at an undersized APC. Does look like it'd be unrealistically cramped though.

I wonder if the HotToys Snapkit Marines are to scale.

Picture081.jpg

Huh...I didn't notice the seating under the turret at all and so I couldn't think of how an entire squad of marines would fit inside - thus my assumption that I was looking at an undersized APC. Does look like it'd be unrealistically cramped though.

it is a tight squeeze indeed! Packed in like sardines and having to turn their bodies or lean forward to all fit even in the film. The more I look at this thing, the more I actually like it.
Group APC drop.jpg

I'd love to say this is a "sure buy" for me, but knowing their pricing on the stuff they released so far, I am terrified to hear the final price.

I wonder if the HotToys Snapkit Marines are to scale.

It is supposed to be. Same stated scale anyways. I have some on order with BBTS being held up by something in my pile of loot. I will post comparisons with the snap kits when I can.

It is supposed to be. Same stated scale anyways. I have some on order with BBTS being held up by something in my pile of loot. I will post comparisons with the snap kits when I can.

That'd be great.
Thanks.
0bdff3b0-1.gif

Last edited:

Wow. If you don't feel like watching the video, these were the highlights

-APC = drool worthy. No mention of price, but he claimed by the end of this year...
-Fella claims they have the license for Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3 NOT just the video game license.
-Said they plan to release figures from all 3 films including Ripley
-3 more marines are in the works including 2 female Marines and 1 male. (Guessing video game "Bella" must be one, other maybe Vaz?! Just guessing)
-They have the license for figures from Predator 1 & 2. They have plans for 6 predator figures in the works.

They will never get the detail of the NECA/7" scale or Hot Toys/1:6th, but I like where this line is headed!

Last edited:

I'd love to say this is a "sure buy" for me, but knowing their pricing on the stuff they released so far, I am terrified to hear the final price.
I've dropped them a message on fb regarding the price point. The answer was rather vague "I think it's around 200, not finally confirmed" they also stated that the price point depends on the amount of ppl interested in it "Because it's too expensive, we may need many order to production" I assume that means that the tooling for an APC is too expensive so it depends on the market i.e. The amount of collectors willing to get one. So they are still conducting market research.

The good thing is due to the price point they are forced to position APC as a collectible rather than a toy "I think the price would not cheap because it's really big and we will do that really collectable, not a toy". Which is a win-win for us since collectors market demands movie accuracy. When it comes to APC, movie accuracy is quite a challenge since the interior of the apc was filmed elsewhere and could never fit in a tug in the first place.

It supposed to be cheaper then Kids Logic floating Dropship that's for sure. Still I'm buying both. My necas need some company

Wow. If you don't feel like watching the video, these were the highlights

-APC = drool worthy. No mention of price, but he claimed by the end of this year...
-Fella claims they have the license for Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3 NOT just the video game license.
-Said they plan to release figures from all 3 films including Ripley
-3 more marines are in the works including 2 female Marines and 1 male. (Guessing video game "Bella" must be one, other maybe Vaz?! Just guessing)
-They have the license for figures from Predator 1 & 2. They have plans for 6 predator figures in the works.

They will never get the detail of the NECA/7" scale or Hot Toys/1:6th, but I like where this line is headed!

Interesting that they got the rights to the movies too. That leaves open the door for a dropship or even the Sulaco's EEV from Alien 3 if they do go ahead with the APC and it sells well enough.

Well, got mine yesterday. I won't say I "regret" getting them, but all 3 marines are essentially identical. None of them "look" like anyone from the film and everything besides their head share 100% of the molds. Even Hicks has Hudson's bolo tie and hack pouch molded to his webbing. I guess shortcuts like that are how new companies get off the ground and frankly, if it means the APC and future movie figures are to follow, I don't mind chalking it up as a necessary evil.

Anyways...(sorry about bad cell phone pics, but I just snapped them quick)

Best thing to compare it to is the only other 3-3/4" Aliens figures I know. The Hot Toys "Snap Kits".

20160816_194612.jpg20160816_194638.jpg
20160816_194621.jpg

Easy to see the quality is not up to Hot Toys standards (even as dated as this example is).
The paint is not especially great, and the the joints rub the paint off when you move them.
20160816_194820.jpg

Can't say the likeness is much better (which is saying something because Hot Toys was generic on purpose)
20160816_194728.jpg

The biggest travesty of all is the helmet. The smallish head I can forgive. Completely skipping everything that makes the colonial marine helmet distinctive is a disaster! (nice Hot Toys on the left, bare bones embarrassment Hiya on the right)
20160816_194919.jpg

The one thing Hiya does have is pose-ability.
20160816_195302.jpg.

Even assuming your snap kits haven't broken and been glued in place (which is a long shot) they just can't move. The Hot Toys figure i literally posed with its legs and arms as wide as they will go (the arm that didnt get glued on after breaking, that is)
20160816_195344.jpg

The Quintero figure came with a smartgun which the others did not, but no 'arm' or other accessory accompanied it. By comparison to hot toys it is undersized and lacking detail.
20160816_195601.jpg20160816_195628.jpg

So Cons:
-Innacurate...everything (Especially colors and gear. The paint I can fix, but the gear hurts to look at!)
-Legs do pop off. Easily reattached, but can get loose
-Painted skin can flake when joint moves
-Poorly molded weapons. not very sharp

Pros:
-...Price? I know I know...$25 ea is a lot. But snap kits go for $60+ if you can even find them. If you like this scale, this is not a bad price.
-Pose-ability. Not just legs, but they can ACTUALLY hold a rifle (unlike the snapkits)
-In scale with several other existing products including but not limited to: The McFarlane AvP sets, the ACM CE "Statue", and the previously heavily mentioned snap kits.
20160816_200702.jpg

-

Overall I am not upset I got them to contribute to the cause and hopefully get more stuff made. I'm loving the prospects of the line as it relates to other movie characters and vehicles, but at the same time I don't blame anyone who hates them.

Back