Comic books are officially just a PC tool.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
YafdLnM.jpg

While not exactly a new concept I think that Marvel is going a bit nuts with the stories of mainstay characters (looking at you Steve Rogers). Riri could be another attempt to recreate the lightning in a bottle that was Kamala Khan.

Isn't She-Hulk a completely different character than The Hulk though? That's the difference.

Marvel reboot things rather than making new characters and stories. Same with a lot of movie companies these days.

Doesn't surprise me at all, given what Marvel has done lately. What disappoints me, as a collector (or more former), is Marvel's lack of creativity. They are missing on (imho), the opportunity of coming up with a great origin story for a new character/characters. Something that could bring in new collectors AND something that might bring old ones back to collecting. This whole playing around with established characters is stale and it is sad that those in charge cannot come up with something fresh. I miss the good ole days of "word bubbles" on the cover of comics :wink1:

Isn't She-Hulk a completely different character than The Hulk though? That's the difference.

Marvel reboot things rather than making new characters and stories. Same with a lot of movie companies these days.

Exactly, they created a NEW female hero......fine. Today they insist on changing all of the established hero's to a new PC form. That's an agenda at work if folks want to admit it or not.

Female Thor, gay Iceman etc and now Iron "Man" will be a black woman. I couldn't care less if they create new hero's that are female or black, but why do they INSIST on continuing to change established characters?

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/tony-stark-to-be-replaced-by-black-woman-as-172307955.html

The idea isn't just to create, but also to destroy. They don't want their own heroes ... they want everybody else's. It's a combination of envy, identity politics, and an inferiority complex.

It's not enough to look-up to a hero if straight white men aren't looking-up to him or her, too. If they don't remove straight white male heroes to replace them with non-straight, non-white, non-male heroes ... then the straight white men remain and can overshadow their new PC hero brigade. Who's going to pay attention to Iron Black Girl if there's still an Iron Man? And, how much could it possibly matter to pop culture if straight white men aren't forced to pay attention?

If the 'privileged' are allowed to retain the same heroes they grew up with, then they're not giving up enough. That's the whole idea.

SnakeDoc

i give you cholo man, he tags with magic spray that gives life to his murals

amaze!

Exactly, they created a NEW female hero......fine. Today they insist on changing all of the established hero's to a new PC form. That's an agenda at work if folks want to admit it or not.

So the hero being female, gay, or black makes them "PC form?" Hmm.

My guess as to why it's being done is because the medium itself isn't nearly as popular as it once was, so creating a new hero in the books would likely coast under the radar. There are so many minority characters in comics these days, but mainly from series and companies few have ever heard of. Seems like Marvel wants to use the star power of their flagship heroes to get the ball rolling in a more noticeable way.

There are several versions and separate stories involving Spider-Man, Robin, Nick Fury, Green Lantern, etc. A new series with a black, female Iron Man or a female Thor isn't going to detract from the originals you grew up on. While there is certainly an agenda to showcase a greater variety of people in the pop culture we all consume, I wouldn't think of it as malevolently as you seem to. What's the problem? It can only do good for other people, but where exactly is the bad for you?

The idea isn't just to create, but also to destroy. They don't want their own heroes ... they want everybody else's. It's a combination of envy, identity politics, and an inferiority complex.

:lol:rotfl:lol:rotfl

Christ, you sound like you're ready to go to war. "They" aren't trying to destroy anything. Unclench your fists and read the comics you grew up on. Those stories still have their validity.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you guys. But it's not just in comics. In movies too! They want to make James Bond black, Moneypenny black, turned Perry White, Jimmy Olse or Nick Fury black too. I mean, I'm not a racist at all. But let's change the perspective. Could you imagine, for a single minute, Blade being white? I couldn't! Their color is part of the characters DNA.

I'm totally for ethnic or gay characters, I think they can be a great addition or I encourage diversity. But please, where did you forget your imagination? Why change what is? Put your heads out of your asses and create new characters that fit the profile! And if you don't do it because you're afraid they won't catch, then start to wonder if it's because they are black, or gay and not because they are simply poor concepts or bad storytelling.

When Stan Lee created Spider Man, it was an all new concept. Who thought a nerdy, angst you teenager could become one the best and most recognized Superhero? It was concept tough to sell at the time. But it caught, simply because the character and the storytelling were awesome.

Now, rather than changing my existing heroes, sell me a black, transgender character, and trust me, if it's good it will catch!

I totally agree with you guys. But it's not just in comics. In movies too! They want to make James Bond black, Moneypenny black, turned Perry White, Jimmy Olse or Nick Fury black too. I mean, I'm not a racist at all. But let's change the perspective. Could you imagine, for a single minute, Blade being white? I couldn't! Their color is part of the characters DNA.

But why, exactly? James Bond is Scottish and half the people that played him aren't. Daniel Craig is Welsh. Brosnan is Irish. In a series where several actors have played Bond, why would a Brit like Idris Elba playing him be any different?

rather than changing my existing heroes

Good lord. :slap

I don't see the big deal, just like Jane Foster Thor.

These characters who are taking the mantle from the classics aren't replacing them. Thor Odinson is already back in the comics from what I've heard.

Kamala Khan is Ms Marvel but we still have Carol Danvers
Miles Morales is Spiderman but we still have Peter Parker
Jane Foster is Thor but we still have Thor Odinson
and this chick is going to take over "Iron Man" but we will still have Tony Stark, plus I am sure her name is NOT going to be Iron Man :lol

But why, exactly? James Bond is Scottish and half the people that played him aren't. Daniel Craig is Welsh. Brosnan is Irish. In a series where several actors have played Bond, why would a Brit like Idris Elba playing him be any different?

Simply because I have read all the Bonds, and unless I can't read, I don't think Bond was described as a black man! Same for Blade. When he appeared in Tomb of Dracula, he was already a black man. I wouldn't want to see either of them changed. When their creator made them, they had a concept in mind, so why change it to make the character politically correct?

Iris Elba is an awesome actor. He deserves great part and I can't see why a movie couldn't be crafted around him with a new character. Luther was great, but frankly I can't imagine Luther as a white guy. Now you may not like my thinking but you can't and won't change it. If Elba were to play Bond, it would certainly be a great movie, and I'd like to see that. But sorry, in my mind he can't be Bond. Call him any other name and I'll bite.

:lol:rotfl:lol:rotfl

Christ, you sound like you're ready to go to war. "They" aren't trying to destroy anything. Unclench your fists and read the comics you grew up on. Those stories still have their validity.

Clearly you've never heard me on the warpath. I didn't read comics as a kid.

As a very politically incorrect person, I think there are way bigger things to cause a stir about than this.

There are bigger things. Which is part of the idea. Make an arbitrary change to a minor cultural character for entirely race/sex/whatever reasons ... then say "race/sex/whatever doesn't matter", and accuse people who don't like it of being racist/sexist/whatever-phobes and making something out of nothing.

If it didn't matter, they'd've left it alone.

If there's such thing as cultural appropriation, I'd have a hard time thinking of a better example than taking the heroes of one culture and re-jiggering the demographics for a completely different one.

SnakeDoc

If there's such thing as cultural appropriation, I'd have a hard time thinking of a better example than taking the heroes of one culture and re-jiggering the demographics for a completely different one.

This has been done for decades with so many characters. Skin color was changed in some, gender in others, but it goes with the territory of the medium. There can (and do) exist multiple storylines with different versions of the same character.

What I don't understand is the need to see it as some sort of culture clash. I'll concede that if it's done purely as a gimmick, it can lack sincerity. But even then, it does have the silver lining of raising awareness, whether that matters to you or not. And if not, don't read it. meanstreak said it best.

I won't call anyone anything for their reaction. I'm just curious as to why such a kneejerk reaction exists for something that doesn't affect you. Call the new character dishonest, call her contrived, but your original post takes the issue in an "us vs. them" direction that it doesn't need to take.

Make an arbitrary change to a minor cultural character for entirely race/sex/whatever reasons ... then say "race/sex/whatever doesn't matter", and accuse people who don't like it of being racist/sexist/whatever-phobes and making something out of nothing.

It doesn't matter in that same way. The idea is to show readers that a hero can be anyone from anywhere. This country has only become more diverse, yet such a massive portion of the superhero roster is straight, white, and male. It "doesn't matter" in the sense that people should be treated equally. But part of achieving that is including minority populations in the fold so we don't view (and therefore treat) them differently.

Last edited:
Hahaha, oh boy. "Officially." Thanks for your professional advice on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back