Thoughts about collecting and not collecting....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr2red

Super Freak
Reaction score
I am seriously thinking of selling a quarter of my figures. Mainly the Potas, some odd pieces, maybe Darth Maul. This is because I look at my figures and wonder
why I had to buy so many, what drove me to purchase them. In the case of the
Buffy's I love the show so I wanted to own the figures. Do I really need them?
What does it do for me to have so many? Over 60 at last count. I feel like purging, to free myself of some clutter. I have spent so much money and I only have minimal space for display so most of my figs have not been out of their boxes.
How do you feel about collecting?

Last edited:
I know how you feel dear Kurgan princess. Sometimes the mentality of "I need to buy everyone!" from a certain line can and will stress you out. I've noticed when I have felt as you do now and find the need to free space, as soon as I let a line go....Bam! A big load of stress simply dissapears. Then of course comes the time of reflection, "Man I really didn't need all that stuff." So again, yes I have felt as you do now.

I feel about the same, except that I am in the process of selling about 3/4 of my collection.

I have done that too. When we moved I got the small bedroom down stairs as my "toy room" and there were a lot of things I had bought because at the time I thought they were cool (Lots of Muppets figs from Palisades) but after I realized that I didn't have the room and also the figs just didn't interest me anymore I sold them. I have started to go with the quality (as best as my buget can handle) over quantity.

I am glad I am not alone. I really like so many of the figures. They are well made
and great sculpts. I will keep the Vintage monsters because they are way cool and I feel a deep connection to the old movies. I will keep The Dead because I enjoy the sheer gore of them. It will be hard to part with any of them. Partially because after shipping and duties I will not make back what I spent.

madden821 said:
I have done that too. When we moved I got the small bedroom down stairs as my "toy room" and there were a lot of things I had bought because at the time I thought they were cool (Lots of Muppets figs from Palisades) but after I realized that I didn't have the room and also the figs just didn't interest me anymore I sold them. I have started to go with the quality (as best as my buget can handle) over quantity.

I can understand the budget thing. I am having to seriously look at the prices of
what I want and pick and choose what I get based on cost. I have cancelled things and am considering cancelling more. I am looking to get some PF's in he future and will be getting more Electric tiki than 12 figures. I bought Jabba
and the throne but that will be the only big SW item I get. Just to much money.

At one point I purged. I sold off most of my Hasbro, McFarlane, ToyBiz and other "toys". It was one of the best things I could have done. It's very liberating.

Collecting has become a double-edged sword for me lately. I love the rush of seeing new product or getting a new piece, but the amount of space this stuff takes up and the rising prices are starting to take their toll. I don't have any pieces I want to part with so that's not an option. I'm seriously thinking about throwing in the towel and quitting cold turkey. Now that the Angel line is officially dead it feels like this might be as good a time as any. Like any addiction though, wanting to quit and actually quitting are two entirely different things.

I know how you feel too.... Everyday I go down into my little collecting room and wonder why I feel the need to have so many and so much.... I start trying to nail down those I feel I should sell or would sell and everytime I chicken out. I just hate to see the stuff go....

Sadly I know that lately things have started to heat up with me and I might just have to pull back a bit. :monkey2

Same boat here Dr2. I started collecting by picking up items being cleared or heavily discounted, then got caught up in the latest is the greatest fad, and had to buy and pay full dollar. Over this time I went mad and became a whoarder. I knew what I was in for. Many members have shared their concerns over space and reckless acquirement.

Now with Sideshow lines, or rather licenses, dwindling, I feel I am in better control now than I have ever been. I still have a list of about 50 1/6th figures I'd like to buy, but don't feel the need so much, mostly due to Hot Toys and Medicom being prohibitively expensive, compared to what I can get Sideshow products for locally.

For now, I will focus on the Uni Monster PF's as my main concern, and revert back to my starting days of, picking up something I want if it is ever on special or clearance. I don't feel I can sell any of my collection, as the market downunder doesn't support that particular tactic all that well.

creecher said:
Same boat here Dr2. I started collecting by picking up items being cleared or heavily discounted, then got caught up in the latest is the greatest fad, and had to buy and pay full dollar. Over this time I went mad and became a whoarder. I knew what I was in for. Many members have shared their concerns over space and reckless acquirement.

Now with Sideshow lines, or rather licenses, dwindling, I feel I am in better control now than I have ever been. I still have a list of about 50 1/6th figures I'd like to buy, but don't feel the need so much, mostly due to Hot Toys and Medicom being prohibitively expensive, compared to what I can get Sideshow products for locally.

For now, I will focus on the Uni Monster PF's as my main concern, and revert back to my starting days of, picking up something I want if it is ever on special or clearance. I don't feel I can sell any of my collection, as the market downunder doesn't support that particular tactic all that well.

Creech you are right. I will refine my choices and you are correct with the lines dwindling I have more incentive to pick and choose what I really want.

I have a good reason for not attending auctions. I get caught up in the thrill
and once the auction is won wonder what I am going to do with the stuff I bought. Same feeling here. I get caught up in the thrill of a new item and then put it on a shelf still in the box.

Very nice topic for a thread. I agree with most here that getting rid of a bunch of stuff is liberating. Sometimes all this important "clutter" just ways us down. We worry about it when we leave the house and worry about it before it even makes it's way to us. These products are our prison.

A wise man once said, "Only in America do people buy things they don't need, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like." :lol

Obviously that saying goes for more than just America but it cracks me up. It does have some truth though.

I have to remind myself that these things really aren't that important and once clutter or debt becomes an issue its good to just ease down and distill your collecting tastes to the choicest of morsels. Otherwise we'll *always* get caught up in the excitement of that next announcement of a stunning sculpt of a character we never thought we'd see and it'll never end.

I am constantly selling parts of my collection. It's just a constant fact that my collection, and for that matter my tastes, are always somewhat changing.

There are always certain properties that I like more than others and those items I'll never get rid of but at some point you have refine your collection.

I just recently found out that by Easter I'll be laid off from work so right now I'm trying to decide what to keep and what to get rid of. I know I won't be able to afford what I was buying before so something ha sto go. Unfortunetly It'll probably be the more expensive items like the PFs.

It's funny--I'm actually doing the opposite. I'm trying to start cutting back on the various smaller items that gradually add up over time and take up space and money so that I can afford to have the budget and space for just the big impressive pieces when they hit.

tomandshell said:
It's funny--I'm actually doing the opposite. I'm trying to start cutting back on the various smaller items that gradually add up over time and take up space and money so that I can afford to have the budget and space for just the big impressive pieces when they hit.

That's what I was going to do originaly but if I did that I'd run out of room in a matter of weeks. Right now I'm almost at my limit when it comes to space.

The other problem I face is that the several "small" items I have are much older and have more sentimental value so I'd never get rid of them to begin with.

Back