Star Ace Harry Potter Dumbledore review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
It's another sixth scale review, and another Harry Potter, just a week after Hagrid. This time it's their Harris Dumbledore, in all his wizarding goodness. This is one of their best releases so far, although haters of the rooted hair/sculpted beard are likely to be off put. My review is here:

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-062916a.htm

I also have a sixth scale guest review up tonight, in which Ian does a comparison of the M30 and M31 bodies from Phicen:

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-062916b.htm

or you can find both with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael

Heheheheheh - you know who Albert Harris is? No, you don't, cuz he's a buddy of mine. He's going to be deeply amused to know I swapped in his first name when I was writing this up!

That Sorcerer's Stone Harry, remains creepy, not to mention, really not looking like a young Daniel Radcliffe, as I originally thought! Thankfully they have the more accurate looking Quidditch Harry hopefully coming soon.

Great review as always, glad to hear he turned out well. That original rooted beard had me very scared.

I have to disagree on Harris vs Gambon though. Harris nailed Dumbledore from the books. Perfect casting. Gambon just never had that wise, grandfatherly feel to him until the Kings Cross scene in Deathly Hallows 2 and even then it didn't quite match Harris' performance. I'm glad we were able to get at least 2 films out of Harris before he died. Never really cared for all of the changes after he and Columbus left the series. Alfonso really f'd up Hogwarts :lol

Great review as always, glad to hear he turned out well. That original rooted beard had me very scared.

I have to disagree on Harris vs Gambon though. Harris nailed Dumbledore from the books. Perfect casting. Gambon just never had that wise, grandfatherly feel to him until the Kings Cross scene in Deathly Hallows 2 and even then it didn't quite match Harris' performance. I'm glad we were able to get at least 2 films out of Harris before he died. Never really cared for all of the changes after he and Columbus left the series. Alfonso really f'd up Hogwarts :lol
I agree with you completely. Columbus' films had a cozy fun magical atmosphere and a slightly old-world feel. Most of the iconic elements and tone of the series comes from these two early films.

Alfonso's movies were dark, dreary, way too modern, and just screamed out that they were trying to cater to the teen market. Its like I could see the Hot Topic merchandise as I was watching the film. They also crammed in humor into weird places, reducing Draco to the comedic relief for 3 movies, and ruining things like the Night Bus and Mad-Eye Moody. They also frequently made the cardinal sin of any book adaptation, leaving out key details which made the plot understandable. I watched the last 5 movies before I had read the books they were based on, and was frequently lost.

Though I will admit that Gambon's Dumbledore did bring something cool to the role in later movies. While I still prefer Harris, unlike him I could actually believe Gambon as an extremely powerful wizard who had the potential to be badass if needed. I couldn't see the duel between Dumbledore and Voldemort in "Order of the Phoenix" working quite as well if Harris had still been around.

That Sorcerer's Stone Harry, remains creepy, not to mention, really not looking like a young Daniel Radcliffe, as I originally thought! Thankfully they have the more accurate looking Quidditch Harry hopefully coming soon.
I'm really glad someone shares this opinion. I've never understood the praise, there's a bit too much uncanny valley going on with the sculpt, if you ask me.

Glad to see Dumbledore turned out so nice... the original head with rooted beard looked pretty awful and I felt the clothing seemed bulky. But here I think they really stuck a great balance between with the rooted and sculpted beard and the robes look fantastic.

I feel like the Star Ace body suffers from a bit of a T-Rex syndrome with the arm length, but that could also just be them looking odd coming out of such open and billowing cuffs. Still, I'd be curious to see what this figure looked like on a TT.

Excellent review as always! :clap :clap The figure looks great - looking forward to adding him to my Potter collection. :)

I thought Alfonso's movie was spot-on and the best of the lot. All of the others which followed, especially the last four which were directed by David Yates, not Alfonso Arau BTW, were pretty bad.

First two movies are the best imo. Some of the others were really awkward/weird in spots.

I don't see quite as much Harris in the facesculpt as Michael, but still a stellar figure.

I've been a bit on the fence as far as Potter 1/6 collectibles (being a borderline fan,) but visiting HP World in Orlando a few months back maybe nudged me toward getting a few Star Aces. The heads are still a baby step behind HT in paint, but they are improving with each fig.

First two movies are the best imo. Some of the others were really awkward/weird in spots.

:goodpost: I can't think of another franchise that had a more massive tone shift through the series. They go from magical kids' fantasy films to what is only a small step away from actual horror films.

I'm really glad someone shares this opinion. I've never understood the praise, there's a bit too much uncanny valley going on with the sculpt, if you ask me.

The more I see of that sculpt the more it looks like the modern version of the creepy dolls that show up in horror movies.

Back