HBO's The Night Of

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ce Ilhuicamina

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just saw the first episode of this new mini series on HBO GO. As someone else has described it: "it is the longest and bleakest Law and Order episode ever." Watching it was as exciting as it was stressful, loved it so far. Without spoiling anything and in broad strokes: it is the story of a young man who finds himself involved in a crime. Is he guilty or innocent?

The series will premier on July 10 2016. Check out the official trailer:

Official site: https://www.hbo.com/the-night-of

Was going to cancel HBO after GOT ends tonight, but am sorely tempted to watch this...I'm a sucker for a good crime series.

I thought it was much too contrived to get to the "big moment" towards the end. I'll skip the rest unless it's very well reviewed.

I'm not quite sure how they will be able to draw out this case over 8 episodes and keep it interesting. Damn, that fool got manipulated by a crazy ass chick lol, but I don't think he could've done it and ended up with no blood on him besides his hand. For a book smart guy, he is a pretty dumb. In real life, he'd be done for.

Oh my god, we filmed this almost 2 years ago!!! :lol Now it's finally coming out, haha, used to be called Crime.

Watched the first episode. I'm hooked.

Were the opening credits done by the same studio that did True Detective and Daredevil? Looks that way.

Oh, and 2 years ago? That might explain why the (very) late James Gandolfini had a producer credit at the beginning.

Really enjoyed the second episode, raw and mysterious. Wonder what's the deal with the stepfather? Seems a little freaky and almost like the same character the actor plays on House Of Cards.

Glad to see things are looking brighter for John!

This last episode ended with a glimmer of hope, this being HBO I suspect the ending will make us all depressed and with "all" I mean the four people who watch this show! :lol

This is probably the show I most look forward to each week. The entire cast is fantastic, and I eagerly anticipate getting one step closer to the truth each episode. Don Taylor has the motive, for sure, but I like the fact that there are several persons of interest who seem completely capable of such an act, and then, there's a part of me that wonders if it isn't Nasir. I'm betting its going to be a fairly nihilistic ending, with Nasir being proven "innocent," but at the cost of his actual innocence, as he becomes more and more institutionalized each time we see him.

I'm betting its going to be a fairly nihilistic ending, with Nasir being proven "innocent," but at the cost of his actual innocence, as he becomes more and more institutionalized each time we see him.

This is the interesting concept to me. He's become a criminal only since being treated like one.

To be honest, I was kinda getting tired of this show the last few weeks as I thought it would be more of a mystery type show, the focus would be on the 'whodunnit', but after this latest episode, I looked at it as it puts a weird sort of spin on something like the OJ trial, where the police didn't even bother looking for other suspects. There's overwhelming evidence Nasir committed the crime, but there's also the possibility he didn't do it, which isn't being explored. It's just too bad it took his lawyers so long to start exploring that possibility.

even if he's found innocent, he's already turned to the dark side. Coke addiction and Sin tattooed on your fingers aren't good signs to having success out of prison. Maybe this show is taking shots at the prison system here in that way? You have a possibly innocent person, but when he gets out, he is completely changed in the wrong way and prolly ends up back in prison because of what it made him.

I'm a bit confused about the passage of time on this one. On one hand, it seems like it's going really quickly in the "outside" world. But in the prison narrative it seems like he's turned very quickly into a high-level thug, mutliply tattooed, cel phone-renting, drug muling penal player.

It's entertaining. But I feel like, if you are taking a shot at an institution (or several), your facts should be at least air-tight enough that a dope like me isn't questioning them.

Also, the whodunnit aspect is pretty silly.

That final scene was exquisite. Surprised to see Freddy killing the traitor by himself instead of letting someone else do it. I'm starting to think that Nasir is actually guilty but he will go out scot-free.

I can visualize John feeling remorse for helping an actual murderer out of prison, a big trait of him is carrying around unnecessary burdens like Andrea's cat.

Back