1/6 SSC R2-D2 Unpainted Prototype - 2016 SDCC Exclusive

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j97e1

Super Freak
Reaction score
Priced at $120

The R2-D2 Unpainted Prototype Sixth Scale Figure:

Highly Detailed R2 Series Astromech Sculpt
Rotating Dome
Light Up logic Function Display, Processor State Indicator & Holographic Projector
Articulated Terrain Tread Legs
Articulated and Retractable Third Tread Leg
Four Access Compartments with hinged panels

star-wars-r2-d2-unpainted-prototype-sixth-scale-feature-21723.jpg
star-wars-r2-d2-unpainted-prototype-sixth-scale-21723-09.jpg
star-wars-r2-d2-unpainted-prototype-sixth-scale-21723-10.jpg
star-wars-r2-d2-unpainted-prototype-sixth-scale-21723-08.jpg
star-wars-r2-d2-unpainted-prototype-sixth-scale-21723-04.jpg
star-wars-r2-d2-unpainted-prototype-sixth-scale-21723-05.jpg

I'm a big sucker for R2, can't have too many :)

At $120 I'm definitely down for this, love the subdued coloring.

Not getting this one but looking forward to more Imperial variants.

I'd like to see more actual astromechs. It looks neat. But in a lineup of Astromechs.. not sure it has a place. An all white one could have been much cooler, in the style of a "Prototype" Fett. But this all steel one, while it's interesting looking, doesn't seem to make sense. Reminds me of those KAWS monotone Vinyl figures where they are just washed out. If there are many astromechs to come then I wont ever regret passing on this. If only 1 more astromech ever gets released, then maybe this would make sense to have for variety.

I kind of like it. Although with the Imperial R2 apparently hitting sooner than later I'll have to wait and see if it's in the cards. I don't get the "unpainted prototype" part still since it looks more "greyscale" than anything else since there are shades of coloring but I think it'll look neat in between the other ones.

To be honest I don't mind how this looks but at $120 plus shipping I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'd probably be more apt to get one of the Imperial variants like others have mentioned.

I don't get the "unpainted prototype" part still since it looks more "greyscale" than anything else since there are shades of coloring but I think it'll look neat in between the other ones.

As the machines come off the line, they're raw, unpainted metal. Blues and whites, etc. come after. This is before.

As the machines come off the line, they're raw, unpainted metal. Blues and whites, etc. come after. This is before.

Yeah I understand that but to me I feel like it should be one raw metallic color, for some reason having different panels different colors throws it off. I think it's the R2 builders IRL that usually paint the details on them as an after the build process has me expecting something different something more like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

For an "unpainted prototype" look.

Yeah I understand that but to me I feel like it should be one raw metallic color, for some reason having different panels different colors throws it off. I think it's the R2 builders IRL that usually paint the details on them as an after the build process has me expecting something different something more like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

For an "unpainted prototype" look.

Maybe the R2 builders use cleaner metal.

So why isn't it just raw, unpainted metal ("look") then - this has black painted details all over it, which just so happen to be in the same places where the blue would go.

Why not just call it what it is - an R2 variant? The proto name makes no sense.

So why isn't it just raw, unpainted metal ("look") then - this has black painted details all over it, which just so happen to be in the same places where the blue would go.

Why not just call it what it is - an R2 variant? The proto name makes no sense.

In-universe explanation: the black details could be representative of different metals they used for doors, flaps and other pieces.

Real-world explanation: a figure that's just all grey/metallic is just a little bit boring. And it would clearly be a "special edition"-figure. Like this, the figure could fit with other characters. Unlike figures like the gold stormtrooper, which would stand out in a display as marketing gimmick.

Back