Help needed!!! Removing scratches from hot toys metal name plates.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jme_c

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ok, so I don't really know where to post this, but since it relates to a Star Wars figure I thought I would start here. Basically what I need to know, is there anyway you can get scratches out of the metal names plates that Hot Toys out on the bases of some of their figures? If so how etc? Anyway advice would be much appreciated.

That's not to easy, a few of my Avengers have the new metal nameplate, I left on the plastic to protect it but the irony is that it looks scratched with it on. Getting to your point, if your plastic is removed and the metal plate got a scratched you have to sand it out and them buff it, that may affect the lettering so best of luck.

You can get sand paper at any hardware store but auto zone/parts I believe carry wet sandpaper for detailing so as long you sand in one direction you can get a brushed metal looking finish. If the scratch isnt so deep you may be able to buff it out with a bit of buffing compound and a micro fiber cloth.

tbh, who needs the name plates? you obviously know what the characters are, you don't need to read it. I am all for displaying the figures in the most realistic way possible. I don't mind stands that are environments, but for the HT style floor grating I just remove the name plates, and turn it around, looks much more cooler as part of the environment the figure is in. And they are never just standing dead center on it, they are one foot up on it, stepping off of it, or behind it with some accessories on the grate etc. I also don't use crotch grabbers. These kinds of things take away from the display for me and makes it feel like a doll instead of a miniature life-like recreation of a pose or particular scene from the movies, or something from your imagination. People who use crotch grabbers to protect it from falling over just don't know how to properly pose and balance figures ;)

I say throw the name plates back in the box and fo'getaboutit

Sadly it's the name plate on the Bespin Luke base which I believe is none removable!
It's my own fault tbh, I had an accident with superglue and acted in sheer panic by trying to scrape off the glue.
The scratches really aren't that bad and can only be seen in certain light / angles, but I know they're there which is bugging me!

I guess all in all though it could have been worse and I could have got the glue on the actual figure. Luckily it was only the smallest dot as I was trying to stick the magnet back onto the gun holster strap!

Back