Marvel NOW! Again?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swear I don't know which way is up anymore with Marvel.
Spoiler Spoiler:

Marvel.... They've been really bad for years. They go for shock value over crafting real stories.

Amen. Just give us well crafted stories without all this ridiculousness. I have been reading consistently for 35 years. I am currently reading 0 Marvel titles.

I swear I don't know which way is up anymore with Marvel.
Spoiler Spoiler:

Could you elaborate on your spoiler? I don't follow current Marvel comics but like to hear summaries of major "storylines."

I quit about 10 years ago.... over 300 issues of ASM continuity dead.

Steve Rogers Captain America #1 just tipped the scales finally for me. Writers using gimmicks to further transparent
political agendas and/or cause a marketing splash instead of crafting a story worth reading. As far as DC and Marvel, I am out.

Could you elaborate on your spoiler? I don't follow current Marvel comics but like to hear summaries of major "storylines."

Oh boy, here we go...
Spoiler Spoiler:

I assume you're referring to the "Brand New Day" Mephisto deal?

Pretty sure that was it, Khev. I was pissed when the story arcs crossed over to other Spidey titles too which meant the stories became weekly comics if you wanted to follow the whole thing.... So if I bought only ASM I would also need to buy, for example as I don't remember the title names back then, Spectacular, Web, Spider-Man, etc. just to keep up with the arc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Rogers Captain America #1 just tipped the scales finally for me. Writers using gimmicks to further transparent
political agendas and/or cause a marketing splash instead of crafting a story worth reading. As far as DC and Marvel, I am out.

Yeah. I just read that... I'd rather they make Cap have a gay lover, which is what I read about yesterday. They took a symbol of America and made him a traitor. Great job Quesada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew Marvel was bereft of good new ideas a long time ago, but now, instead of aping storylines from 20-30 years ago, they're aping storylines from 2-3 years ago? :lol It's a sad state, but in fairness, they're just responding to the reader base. It's just like movies. Easier and more profitable to create a derivative sequel or prequel or reboot/reimagining than to go with something genuinely original.

Oh boy, here we go...
Spoiler Spoiler:

Thanks for the summary! :duff

rtn_2006-joe_quesada.jpg

I also hate what has become of the Marvel Universe over the past 10 years. I pretty much stopped reading current books after the first Civil War series. I did read Thor when they brought him back at the time since he is my favorite character, but stopped buying the book after JMS left.

I eventually decided to read Jason Aaron's God of Thunder run since it was getting good reviews and I really liked it. While I hated the idea of a female Thor when it was first announced I decided to give it a shot since I liked what Aaron had done on the book up to that point. I found that I still enjoyed what he was doing with the character and I love Dauterman's artwork, though I have yet to read any of the current post-Secret Wars book. I don't know what kind of bearing, if any, the Secret Wars mini has on the current Thor series but I figured I should read that first. I'm just waiting for the final issues to show up on Marvel Unlimited.

I assume Aaron has a plan mapped out for what he wants to do with Jane and eventually intends to return Odinson to his place as the one true Thor. My only fear is that because the book has sold so well since the change that the higher ups at Marvel will want to continue with the current status quo and tell him that if he doesn't plan to keep Thor a female then they'll just put another writer on the book who will.

So for now I still buy Thor issues on ComiXology as they are released but all other current books I read are Image and a few from other publishers. Most of my Marvel reading these days is 60's-80's material via collected editions and Marvel Unlimited. I am currently rereading the Bendis/Maleev Daredevil run which I never saw through to the end when it was originally printed. I'd forgotten just how damn good that was. I will also read Brubaker's run for the first time and I'm interested in checking out Waid's run as well.

I've given up on Marvel books. Don't collect Avengers, X-MEN, Cap, Iron Man, DD, Thor, or Spidey anymore. They are all just a bunch of crap. IMO, DC books are no better.

I still have some pulls from Marvel. I do enjoy the spin-off series like Deadpool & Spiderman. The new Spidey run reminds me of 1960s spiderman stories. I'm not a fan at all of the big, cosmic storylines. There's some enjoyable titles ongoing. But beware of the new writers. They are millennials who have no idea how to tell good stories.

You guys need to check with IDW and Image. They have some great stuff right now. Outcast, TMNT, Walking dead, Savage Dragon, etc., are all good reads from those two. Give them a shot. Talk about really good, well-thought-out storytelling.

Back