Comic Cons: A good place for collectibles?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kroatos151

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hi all,

didn´t find any similar thread via search. Please appologize if there is one and I wasn´t smart enough to find it.

But back to topic: do you think or have the experince if Comic Cons are a good place to buy collectibles?

Edit: and messed it up and posted teh thread under the wrong category. Sorry for the that.
How can I delete it or move it to general "Collectibles" - "General Collectibles". Or who can help me?

Darklord Dave or one of the Super Mods (yes, there are Super Mods :lol) will move it once they see that you reported your mistake.

Anyway...

In my experience Comic cons are a good place to pick up collectibles and vintage comics. Your milage may vary. :D

Thanks a lot. Already reported my mistake. and I cannot excuse it with my age...to old :D

already was at one Comic Con yet (Germany still is starting them since last year). have to check up teh next one in June. And yes the milage .. .D

It depends on what you're looking for and how the Con is going that weekend. I've found some nice deals wandering around on the last day of a Con when some vendors are dying to get some sales. For the most part, I'd have to say the stuff is overpriced though.

On the so called "First German Comic Con" last december there was only one seller with HT figures at all. Wanted 600 EUR (687 Dollar) for a IM MK III.

Therefore asking how is your experience on cons at all.

It depends on what you're looking for and how the Con is going that weekend. I've found some nice deals wandering around on the last day of a Con when some vendors are dying to get some sales. For the most part, I'd have to say the stuff is overpriced though.

This is THEE time to get stuff. If you look closely (through the crowds) you can find deals. But the last day is when I get anything. Most dealers are willing to move product at the last minute and will listen to fast cash, low price offers.

I go to San Diego Comic Con every year and have been going since 1994... Your mileage will vary on what you are looking for, how you plan to pay, what day you shop on, and how much you look around the convention.

The SDCC has grown exponentially since the days I started going and the vendor room is now enormous with a lot of different options. For statues, I rarely see many of them for sale, usually a couple and often either brand new releases or highly sought after sold out ones (which of course come with insane price tags).

I am a 1/6th figure collector and every year I come home with a good pile of loot. I usually go down on preview night and I have often found amazing deals as some vendors want to get a jump start on the weekend and get some sales. This is also the best time to find anything that is extremely rare or a limited number of lets say newly released items show up.

So your best deals are either Wednesday/Preview night type situations or on Sunday/Last day as they would rather make a deal and haggle with you than pack up and take it back to their facility. Also, depending on how their weekend has been, they may be looking to make up for how much the booth rental cost or their drinking money if they partied too hard each night.

Some of my best scores have been things that have just come out, not shipping from SSC yet and you can get them for retail, no tax or shipping charges - especially when paying cash. A lot of places add on a percentage or just State tax (which is high her in CA) if you use credit cards but you still avoid the insane shipping charges.

Vintage is also big, especially Star Wars right now. At Wondercon 2 months ago I saw boxed versions of just about every Kenner toy I had as a kid (but they are expensive). Lots of fun nostalgia stuff to look at but I do not collect that stuff (thankfully).

Last year at SDCC I ended up buying two of the Glitch Figurines "God Complex" line which I had never heard of before and got to meet the designer and have him sign the inserts as well. That was cool. I also scored a Star Wars Bib Fortuna for $39, SSC R2D2 for below retail, Storm Trooper 2 pack for retail w/ no tax/shipping, and the Toa Heavy Industries CaRb limited edition from Bluefin. Non figure wise but still collectibles, I got the EFX prop replica Stormtrooper helmet for $170, Balin's Mace from Weta for around $200. I have gotten some really cool custom build lightsabers in years past as well.

I have a big convention coming up. Sunday is my day to cruise for deals.

Back