Action Figure The Witcher III figures from Dark Horse

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solidus

Super Freak
Reaction score
I can't believe there wasn't a thread for this.

Via. The Witcher collectibles coming this fall from Dark Horse
Dark Horse Comics has published a number of graphic novels based on The Witcher, and is now bringing the series into the collectibles business with a line of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt products that will begin rolling out this fall, Dark Horse announced today during New York Toy Fair.

The Witcher line will encompass a wide range of items, including "statues, busts, and action figures; prop and jewelry replicas; and barware, stationery, and other collectibles," according to a press release. Dark Horse will debut the Witcher products with figures for Geralt of Rivia, Yennefer of Vengerberg and Triss Merigold, and will release ones for Ciri and the Wild Hunt King, Eredin, afterward. You can see the Geralt figure below.

Dark Horse describes its Witcher series as a "high-end" line of products, and each of the figures will be custom-painted and displayed in "deluxe window box packaging." But the figures are reasonably priced at $29.99 each.

"I truly hope Witcher fans notice all the love and the excellent craftsmanship put into creating them," said Rafał Jaki, business development manager for Witcher developer CD Projekt Red.

Article from Kotaku with additional pics:
Dark Horse's Witcher III Figures Are Pretty Damn Good

I can't believe these are only $30. I would have purchased them even if they were double the price!

I'm probably going to get Geralt and Ciri, not so sure about the rest.

Yeah, the price is amazing, too :lol. From what I've been reading in comments, it seems like the figures (or statues?) are going to 9 inches.

I absolutely have to pick up Geralt, Ciri, Triss and Yennefer.

Yes it's awfully suspicious that these are only $30.
Suspecting they'll pull a Sideshow and the drop from prototype to production might make them a tad less pretty to the eye.

I don't collect minor characters but the way these prototypes look I'd get Geralt, Ciri, Triss, Yennifer and likelu more!

I was lucky enough to get on the Geralt 1/6th in the custom section, I am going to have Gheewhiz make clothes for Triss, Yennefer, and Ciri later on. Only Problem I am finding is the headsculpts.

I'm already planning to buy these as model kits more than off the shelf figures. Geralt will need resculpted hair to match his long style. The lot of them will be repainted with various finishes. These have potential, but if DH's GOT line is any indication, it's gonna take some work.

Geralt is available now and he looks exactly like the pictures. The base looks and feels kinda cheap, but that's the only downside. I would recommend him to any fan and I'm definitely going to get more of these... I'm really impressed with the quality for this price point.

Last edited:
QZJmm80.jpg

Looks pretty good with some PAK figures. Kratos is bigger though.

I cannot recommend the Dark Horse line of Witcher 3 figures. The faces lack detail and are quite poor. Triss in particular has her eyes placed too far apart. Geralt looks very plain (he should have the dark eyeliner look as per the games). Ciri and Yen just look wrong too.

I really love these figures. The details are superb in MOST aspects. The price point is very reasonable for what you get. That being said, there is work to be done, and work I did (as seen below)

WitcherWoods_zpstf21j7rm.jpg

Geralt seems to have sculpt work done by two individuals, one for the body and one for the headsculpt. The former is great, the latter needs a lot of help. One side of the beard is far more detailed than the other, the shape is pinheaded, and there are no marks of age. I rectified this.

I reshaped the head with heat once it was removed. I took some tools from the workbench and added crow's feet, forehead wrinkles, and deepened the sculpt in the beard the best I could (hard to see in photography. I followed all this up with some multi layered pastel paint application. All that remains from factory are his eyes. Furthermore, a later addition was the chromed silver sword as seen in the very first photo.

WitcherWIP2%20copy_zpsox4k1iwl.jpg

WitcherWIP5_zpsjzqtojon.jpg

WitcherWIP4_zpskotz5tdk.jpg

I really want to note in this photo how the altered head shape is apparent; Geralt has a square-ish head, where the figure naturally has a more oval look.

WitDark_zpsmc584rll.jpg

And a before for reference:

WitBefore_zpsuunghfx6.jpg

got the set and on Triss was dismayed to find a small green paint splash (maybe 1 mm square) (presumably the paint from her sleeves) was on her jacket chest on the underside of her boob, very noticeable if you look closely, noticeable if you don't look so closely....

what would you guys do? should I try to return it? or is this acceptable at this price point?

Hawt damn that Geralt is awesome. Snagged myself Getalt and Ciri. For what I payed Im pretty happy with them.
Thanks man!

Well, Amazon sent me Eridin instead of Yennifer. I've got it sorted out though, Yen'll be here with a price adjustment when she ships next. These really are nice in the end, I do still wish someone would do 1/6. Eridin has some very soft sculpt work going on, and I definitely think he's a bit undersized. But I think the scale on the whole line is a bit wonky. The overall package is good though, but could have benefit from some sharper work - case in point is the Tootsie roll looking hair he's got peeking out from under the helmet. I also think the bases are gaudy though, and it makes them tough to display together. Either I'll remove them and make custom bases or I'll try to spice these up. I'm toying with repainting Eridin's armor, but it's all soft plastic, which becomes problematic to paint; looking at him I don't think I would gain that "next level" difference as with Geralt. We'll see.
48c60c76a8799798d287e23bc95799aa.jpg

@volkov I would weigh the quality of the face paints as your determining factor. If they're really good, then paint over the spot or lightly sandpaper it off. Face is more important, if you ask me. Furthermore, if the spot is as small as you say, you might be able to carefully scrape it off with an x-acto knife, honestly.

f6d437591ceac54f2111afeaf127c3f4.jpg

One more down, one to go. Yen is exceptional minus a few things. Notably, her pendant is not painted. I'll need to add the details to it, as for now it's a floating silver coin on her chest. Next, her outfit has NONE of the garment art that the character model does. Comparatively, Triss' does. Someone at Dark Horse has a favorite.

The upside is that the paint is really solid, even featuring some highlights and tone variation, which only serves to support just how ****ed Geralt was out of the box. Definitely a winner.

5a1417c1525b22a789b77eaf3d2523a3.jpg

I would exchange or return. I'm OCD like that when it comes to collectibles.

returned it and got a replacement back already

these figures are great, my only complaint is the bases are ridiculously huge and make it so you can't display them close enough together to each other

Have any of you been brave enough to hack the figures off the bases and set up something custom to make displaying nicer?

edit: just read your post DioramaMaker, for how inexpensive these figures are it is worth experimenting to take off a base and see what we get. and I too wish for a 1/6 set of Witcher figures, would get them all.

I love these figures and think they're great for the relatively cheap price. My biggest complaint is the Geralt figure. He's sword seemed like it's bendy and not straight. That annoys me, but other than that, the figures are awesome.

Back