Temple of Doom Indy figure review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
Sixth scale week keeps rolling with a look at the new Sideshow Temple of Doom Indiana Jones - this could have been a four star figure...it's *this* close, but a couple issues bite it in the butt. It's not the portrait either, and I'll happily proclaim this the best 12" Indy face sculpt we've gotten...my full review is here:

Review and photos of Sideshow Indiana Jones Temple of Doom action figure

or you can find it with the rest at the usual:

Captain Toy, Michael Crawford's Action Figure and Toy Reviews

Thanks for reading!

Michael

Got to say Michael that I agree with everything but your impression of the hat. I thought you'd have a lot more negativity towards that. To me, the huge hat and the ugly seam really ruin a really great head.

I might just be accustomed to crappy Indy hats at this point. But that seam is just too much to take. It's all the more frustrating because the portrait is quite good.

Another great review Michael, and the perfect day to post it with the announcement of Indy 5.

Thanks!

Thanks for the review! I think it's taken your review to point out what's obvious - the headsculpt/paint is pretty damn good (in terms of price/quality ratio, better than ANY previous Indy head, custom or otherwise) and most of the outfit/accessories are up there with the best 1/6 Indy gear.

Your pics of the headsculpt are also the best I've seen.:clap

thanks for the review.

It seems that had Sideshow gone all the way with a 2 head release... this would have been a 4 star Indy...

Michael, in the review you point out that maybe sanding the head down a bit may help tighten the seam. What are your ideas there... any advice?

If you look at the scalp, it really does look like someone whittled it down, and not very well. There's several high spots around the post where the magnet attaches, and I think these (and the irregular surface) are causing the toupe not to sit properly. The hair line looks like it could line up better - smooshing it down with your fingers gives a better result - so I plan on carefully carving off a few thin slices on these high spots. As I said, you can't make it worse, since it already looks pretty hacked up and it's always going to be covered by the hair or hat anyway. Sanding it might be tricky, since this sort of rubbery material doesn't take to sanding as well as cutting usually.

And yea, the big fail here is the seam and the hat - giving us the two heads would have solved both problems (assuming the sculpted head with hat would have been done with better proportions) and made this guy a knockout. If this figure was $180, I wouldn't expect two heads. At $230...

Yeah, what Michael said: for $230 this should have had a second HS

and great review and photos as always Michael. Great job with the StarAce pod-cast as well. This will be a company doing much more soon methinks.

Back