Hot Toys Kylo Ren sixth scale action figure review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
Last week was all about stuff that's not out yet - this week is about stuff that's out and I need to catch up! Tonight I'm checking out the Force Awakens Kylo Ren from Hot Toys, a figure that seems pretty basic, but has a way of sneaking up on you...

Review and photos of Hot Toys Star Wars Kylo Ren sixth scale action figure

You can also find it with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

Captain Toy, Michael Crawford's Action Figure and Toy Reviews

This month marks 16 years of the site, and I'm making a few adjustments to the layout. Nothing major, but minor tweaks mostly intended to further improve the look and speed on mobile devices. Thanks for reading!

Michael

Good review. The "Things To Watch Out For" section could probably carry a warning about the zipper on the light up saber arm. It seems to have not been an issue on yours but some freaks have reported the zipper breaking (mine included. Thank goodness for TA)

Are you going to review the Stormtrooper Two-Pack soon, Michael? I'm hesitant about that set and not pulling the trigger until when/if it gets a solid review from you.

Frankly I would have docked them a bit for the zipper on the arm for the inaccuracy of it being there in the first place. I get why its there, but I've never understood why those saber arms needed to exist in the first place when they've done a great job with the Iron Man light up arms and hands working without having to part swap full arms below the elbow. Some minor wrist movement might have been lost, but I'd rather a minor thing like that then a glaring costume error with the zipper.

Also, the hood is a separate piece from the tunic and likely attached to scarf as once piece - as was evident when he was running around the Star Killer base without the scarf and hood. Probably not something they could have known from pre-production and pre-release information, but an error regardless. Part of the reason I'm not fond of them releasing figures in time for the theatrical release date - there is always errors and key missing accessories like an unmasked sculpt and charred Vader helmet that would have put the figure over the top.

Still a very nice figure and I agree with the 3 1/2 out of 4 rating. I guess I'm just bummed because they could have easily made him 4 out of 4 with a bit more patience. But I suspect HT knows what they are doing and will probably release a second version. Possibly as an exclusive in yet another 2 pack to force us into getting another figure as well. Old Han and Kylo 2 pack perhaps? Kylo and Hux? Kylo and FN-2187?

I haven't paid much attention to this figure, and this is the first time I'm seeing the zipper. I agree with Buttmunch on that one. Really detracts from the overall look to me. But then, I've never been a big fan of the various light-up gimmicks Hot Toys uses (and now, voice boxes in some figures).

Back