DC Comics: Rebirth

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
CZWmORAWcAEl54H.jpg

Tweeted by both Dan DiDio and Jim Lee

Bleeding Cool broke the story on a spate of name change relaunches and certain books going bi-weekly at DC Comics this summer. But it seems this is only a part of it.

I understand that a top down change has filtered through the publisher which will see another relaunch for DC Comics with everything getting a new #1 in June – those that survive that is.

And the new line even more dominated with Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn/Suicide Squad-related titles.

Anything tying in with a film and/or TV show like Flash, Green Arrow will be okay, anything that’s not is less so. I haven’t heard about Green Lantern...

But yes, this will mean another big issue 1 relaunch. Could this be All-New All-Different A-Bit-Like-The-TV-Shows DC Comics?

Here we go....again.

When you have the top characters and you have to continually reboot, maybe they need an enema in their (mis)management.

DiDio and the rest of those clowns really need to go. There is absolutely no need to reboot again, unless they are willing to undo Flashpoint/52 continuity and bring us back to Post Crisis continuity. I'd be all for that and I think so would everybody else!

I only collect Batman, but I haven't bought a Batman related title in years now.

I don't like how much the focus has shifted onto the extended Bat-family and how their roles/identities keep changing, and all the new additions too. Nightwing (no longer as he's Grayson the spy?), Red Robin (no longer as he's Batman Beyond!?), Robin (Damien - with super powers???), Red Hood, Batgirl, Batwoman, Bluebird (Harper Row)... and now James Gordon as Batman. There's probably many more I missed too. That's not even taking into account that whole Batman Inc thing!

I like a good old fashioned Batman/Nightwing/Robin/Batgirl(or Oracle) family. It just seems too big for me now. Like the Bat-family has become more of a super-team like the X-men or Avengers rather than the small close-knit closed-group of vigilantes they used to be.

Also, they just seem to keep creating new heroes and villains thick and fast nowadays too. It's like the classic and great ones we all know and love get forgotten about or given weak appearances, and the focus is on creating "the next best villain".

More importantly, the stories just aren't good anymore, and have way too much focus on events and crossovers. It's like they're trying way too hard. I prefer good old fashioned simple stories, like Batman trying to foil a villain's plan kinda thing, but it not be some elaborate plot that connects back to when Gotham was first built and Thomas and Martha Wayne played a part in the events and the villain turns out to be Bruce's long lost brother, etc. etc.... Why does everything and everyone have to connect back to someone or something nowadays!?

There's much more I could complain about, but I'll leave it at that for now. I know things can't always stay the same, but it just feels to me like the changes that are happening (in Batman titles) are often just for the sake of it or to create a shock storyline.

Last time they rebooted, I was hoping they'd simplify everything and concentrate on core heroes/villains and good simple stories. But now it just seems worse than ever. I don't hold out much hope for this reboot either. It seems like a big gimmick to me and I'm sure they'll just keep the same old characters and type of storytelling they're doing now.

The only thing that could make me buy comics again is if they revert back to simple storytelling (no events, crossovers, gimmicks, next big villain deals) and a lesser sized Bat-family - with Bruce as Batman.

Also, sorry if my ramblings aren't that well-informed or rub anyone up the wrong way. They are just my opinions, and as I say, I don't read the comics now, so this is just my perception of them.

I may only jump on a few books but not going to start multiples at this point. It seems like reboots happen too often.

DC continues to put band-aids on their comic line. I dropped everything when the New 52 started. Unless this new stuff has the feel of the old DCU, I probably will continue to go without DC.

I watched the Wonder Con panel on YouTube and I think the biggest news that came out of it was that they are going to reveal Joker's real name.

When you have the top characters and you have to continually reboot, maybe they need an enema in their (mis)management.

DiDio and the rest of those clowns really need to go. There is absolutely no need to reboot again, unless they are willing to undo Flashpoint/52 continuity and bring us back to Post Crisis continuity. I'd be all for that and I think so would everybody else!
While I don't like the current creative decision-makers at DC, this isn't exactly new for DC. It started with the onset of the Silver Age, really, when they pretty quickly decided that lots of the Golden Age stuff still had value, and shouldn't be totally dismissed. But that created a pretty big mess. Then of course, Crisis was an attempt to reconcile the mess DC created in the interim. The attempted reboot didn't work as expected, so we had Zero Hour. That also didn't work as planned, so later on they did Final Crisis. That didn't work as intended, so we had the New 52, now this.

Back