Do you buy brand new or used ones?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txia007

Freakalicious
Reaction score
And if you buy a brand new figure and you put it on display, say after 1-2 years you want sell it, how much do you usually get back?

And if you buy a brand new figure and you put it on display, say after 1-2 years you want sell it, how much do you usually get back?

Nothing wrong with buying a 'used' collectible. New and unopened ones can be broke too.

As for selling. Should be able to get about what you paid, depending on level of hype, the quality and if another version is releasing soon.

Thought this gon be dildo thread.

I never buy MISB figures after release. I like to know a pre-owned figure's been checked for defects.

Price appreciation/depreciation depends on the figure.

I think preowned sounds a little better. lol That's what I buy every chance I get. Mainly because they're almost always cheaper. There are obvious exceptions but I rarely see them sell for what you pay.

Mostly new. But when I couldn't find a TFA Cap that was reasonably priced, I bought a pre-owned one.

After a high end collectible is long sold out, I only buy opened one to be sure it is damage free.

If you try to sell those figures in a year or so, would the price drop a lot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nowadays 90% time preorder price will be 5%-10% lower than retail price but much lower than resell market. Those 10% are usually overproduced dead stocks, anything underproduced will gain alot in resell market even if it's really bad product because of supply & demand. it's not rare to see items that you were like "Meh" when you saw it on pre-order & skipped it just to realize the market value has gone up x2 after release.

After a high end collectible is long sold out, I only buy opened one to be sure it is damage free.

so you've been paying alot more for used item than you would if you buy it new.

Thought this gon be dildo thread.

I never buy MISB figures after release. I like to know a pre-owned figure's been checked for defects.

Price appreciation/depreciation depends on the figure.

really depends which market you are in, generally 2nd hand items price will follow it's MISB counterparts value trend, and when MISB are all sold out, these 2nd hand units will replace the MISB ones in terms of their price, so now you have to pay MISB resell market value for a used one.

IMO the best time to get a used unit is when the MISB is still easily available in the market, this means 2nd hand unit owners will find it difficult to increase their item price because MISB is there to put a ceiling on the 2nd hand units.

To me as long as the item doesn't contain damage prone materials like Pleather, a "Displayed in dust & smoke free environment" should be 95% as good as a Brand New unit, and you save maybe 20% on price. All is true unless it's Hot Toys Avengers.

Some people don't want to risk damage/missing parts on a NIB piece vs. a mint opened one.

The thing is you can most of the time get your money back by selling them off if you don't like the item, if there's damage or missing parts, i'm sure most of the time you can get a replacement, either from the seller, or the manufacturer themselves, there maybe some additional shipping involved but still i would say you won't lose as much money compared to paying a premium in the used market, the guy did mention long after MISB sold out, so the premium would be higher even for used. also no guarantee the used item has no defects. Different people have different standards when it comes to defects, for example a paint smudge at areas hidden by outfits, some folks couldn't sleep over it.

The thing is you can most of the time get your money back by selling them off if you don't like the item, if there's damage or missing parts, i'm sure most of the time you can get a replacement, either from the seller, or the manufacturer themselves, there maybe some additional shipping involved but still i would say you won't lose as much money compared to paying a premium in the used market, the guy did mention long after MISB sold out, so the premium would be higher even for used. also no guarantee the used item has no defects. Different people have different standards when it comes to defects, for example a paint smudge at areas hidden by outfits, some folks couldn't sleep over it.
Breaking even means selling for higher though, you have to figure in fees, shipping, etc...Almost no chance of getting parts for secondary market items, much rather have pics and see it is mint before I buy or get from a trusted seller. People who obsess over hidden defects are never going to be happy.

so you've been paying alot more for used item than you would if you buy it new.

There were items released before I collected them, for example some Master Replicas items. I wouldn't buy now a MR prop that was still factory sealed, because MR is long gone. Get it now?

Breaking even means selling for higher though, you have to figure in fees, shipping, etc...Almost no chance of getting parts for secondary market items, much rather have pics and see it is mint before I buy or get from a trusted seller. People who obsess over hidden defects are never going to be happy.

well usually when people talk about breaking even they've included total cost, and when i talk about getting parts replacement i mean getting it from seller or manufacturer, that is if you bought it MISB when it was just launched. Also lots of people selling figures in parts so should you failed to get a replacement from your seller or manufacturer you still have a high chance of getting the parts on ebay, when the figure just launched.

also since you are getting used item, chances of the same few trusted seller selling the used items you want is very low so most likely you have to try your luck with other sellers.

Back