Hot Toys - DeLorean - Mod ideas & Resources

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAL9000.

Super Freak
Reaction score
A Resource For Proposed Ideas & Mods To The Hot Toys DeLorean

I thought it might be a good idea to create a separate thread for those of us who want to modify the HT DeLorean, once we have it in hand, making it more screen-accurate. Saves cluttering up the main thread and hopefully makes it easier to follow.

Obviously, ideas will come once we can see the DeLorean and work out how we can "improve" it, and I'll do my best to keep this first post updated with solutions and results, once we have them.

We're looking for mods that can be added without damaging the original.

Areas to look at

1. Time Circuits do not light up. - Solution could be to put LEDs behind or create an entire new part or an EL sticker of some kind.

2. Not enough cables in passenger side & dash etc. - Der_Doktor91 HERE has bought new cables, so that's a start. Will really depend on cable diameter and finding fixings to match.

3. Does not come with pole & Hook - I'm looking into this.

4. No brake, accelerator, clutch pedals.

5. No parking brake/hand brake.

6. Plate is just a sticker. A stamped one would be nice. Full Metal make one, but it's VERY expensive.

7. No Carpets. srdoctor has been working on those. He's provided eBay details and I have ordered three sets of grey fabric for comparison. Will report back once I have them.

8. Instrument cluster displays (speedo, etc) not lit.

9. Mod for a glow under the flux dispersal bands. I have the parts and am working on ideas.

10. Seatbelts & Sockets Seatbelt sockets are white, and can't see any seatbelts at all yet.

11. Tyre Decals - Goodyear As posted, Hunter can provide those.

Like I said, I'll do my best to keep this updated with solutions and links to pictures.

Extra ideas and thoughts

Glowing/light up parts As far as time circuits and flux bands etc are concerned, one possible solution/route to explore has been suggested by Indiana Fett - which is EL Tape/Wire/Sheet. May even be able to print the time circuits display or similar.

This is for those of us that are happy to pay HT's price, but have also accepted it's not perfect and would like to do something about it. Please keep all the negativity out of this thread.

Last edited:

I thought it might be a good idea to create a separate thread for those of us who want to modify the HT DeLorean, once we have it in hand, making it more screen-accurate. Saves cluttering up the main thread and hopefully makes it easier to follow.

Obviously, ideas will come once we can see the DeLorean and work out how we can "improve" it, and I'll do my best to keep this first post updated with ideas and solutions as we go.

Some areas of concern are:

1. Time Circuits do not light up. - Solution could be to put LEDs behind or create an entire new part.

2. Not enough cables in passenger side. - Der_Doktor91 HERE has bought new cables, so that's a start.

3. Does not come with pole & Hook - Fan has started an interest thread here: custom-1-6-bttf-energy-pole-hook

4. No brake, accelerator, clutch pedals.

5. Plate is just a sticker. Photo-etched one would be nice.

Like I said, I'll do my best to keep this updated with solutions and links to pictures of results, once we have them.

Those are the cables i bought. :)
(0,14€/m) 10m flexible Litze 0,09mm² sehr dünnes Kabel / flexibel cable wire | eBay

I'm not sure photo-etched makes sense for a licence-plate. American plates are stamped metal (meaning the metal is physically deformed). We need a 3D printed copy that emulates that physical effect.

We'll need to see the car to see if the wire is the right diameter, but it's a good start. I'll definitely be adding more. Will need something that looks like tiny cable ties too.

I'm not sure photo-etched makes sense for a licence-plate. American plates are stamped metal (meaning the metal is physically deformed). We need a 3D printed copy that emulates that physical effect.

This thread is for ideas, I was just adding something. I'll say "Stamped" instead.

Obviously, ideas will come once we can see the DeLorean and work out how we can "improve" it, and I'll do my best to keep this first post updated with ideas and solutions as we go.

Some areas of concern are:

1. Time Circuits do not light up. - Solution could be to put LEDs behind or create an entire new part.

2. Not enough cables in passenger side & dash etc. - Der_Doktor91 HERE has bought new cables, so that's a start.

3. Does not come with pole & Hook - Fan's proposed interest thread HERE

4. No brake, accelerator, clutch pedals. - Fan's proposed interest thread HERE

5. Plate is just a sticker. A stamped one would be nice. - Fan's proposed interest thread HERE

6. No Carpets. - Fan's proposed interest thread HERE He seems to be offering them complete with pedals.

7. Instrument cluster displays (speedo, etc) not lit.

Like I said, I'll do my best to keep this updated with solutions and links to pictures of results, once we have them.

Putting leds behind the time circuit will not be easy for a number of reasons. The first is time circuits themselves will need to be transparent to allow the light to shine through. So id say you'll need to create an entirely new box for the time circuits with transparent plastic for the time circuits. The second reason is you'll need 3 leds red green and yellow to simulate the colours seen on the actual time circuits. That'll mean 3 seperate small compartments each behind each line of the time circuit and each with the different led inside. You could do this or alternatively have coloured plastic with a white led behind it. The coloured plastic would be green , yellow and red and would be transparent.

The instrument cluster display would simply be done by putting a small smd led beneath the display. Again depends on how difficult it is to open up and detach the instrument cluster from the front panel.

Just my two cents for what its worth.

Yep. I personally think it will likely be easier to create a whole new part. We need to wait and see the DeLorean in-hand.

For $700 plus this should not need that many extensive mods- shows what a sub par product this turned out to be

For $700 plus this should not need that many extensive mods- shows what a sub par product this turned out to be

You've just said something similar in the main thread. Would prefer constructive comments for modifications here, please.

This thread is for those of us that are happy to pay HT's price, but have also accepted it's not perfect and would like to do something about it.

So id say you'll need to create an entirely new box for the time circuits with transparent plastic for the time circuits.

I agree, would almost certainly be less work to replace the part than mod it that extensively.
Either way, we still need to be able to remove the part without causing damage to the dash...

Again depends on how difficult it is to open up and detach the instrument cluster from the front panel.

Indeed. This is what's concerning me most about modding the thing generally - I'm hoping that:
a. these are actually all seperate parts, and it doesn't turn out that some of them are molded together as one, and
b. they used 'just enough' glue, rather than lots.

FWIW, for the time circuits, I'd be inclined to go for a single white LED, with filter gels to provide the three colours. That way you wouldn't need to create three light-tight compartments inside the piece, just the one.

You can get filter gel 'swatch' books for a few £, which contain samples of a ton of colours, plus some diffusers.
These are a great deal for something like this, as the samples would be plenty big enough for this project, and you'd get the chance to see the colours in person before choosing which ones to use.
E.g. Google on 'Rosco 9910 Colour Swatch - Supergel'

I agree, would almost certainly be less work to replace the part than mod it that extensively.
Either way, we still need to be able to remove the part without causing damage to the dash...

Indeed. This is what's concerning me most about modding the thing generally - I'm hoping that:
a. these are actually all seperate parts, and it doesn't turn out that some of them are molded together as one, and
b. they used 'just enough' glue, rather than lots.

Exactly. I personally would want to make mods without wrecking the original.

FWIW, for the time circuits, I'd be inclined to go for a single white LED, with filter gels to provide the three colours. That way you wouldn't need to create three light-tight compartments inside the piece, just the one.

You can get filter gel 'swatch' books for a few £, which contain samples of a ton of colours, plus some diffusers.
These are a great deal for something like this, as the samples would be plenty big enough for this project, and you'd get the chance to see the colours in person before choosing which ones to use.
E.g. Google on 'Rosco 9910 Colour Swatch - Supergel' [/B]'

Good idea and I hope it's that simple.

Great list so far Anx10us. I for one am looking forward to adding a few elements to make the DeLorean just a little bit closer to the version seen on screen with these enhancements. Overall I'm really happy with a lot of what I'm seeing so far. Sure the 'A frame' is angled slightly wrong and there are a few other 'inconsistencies' as is always the case when shrinking down and molding a mass-produced replica of something seen in film.

The main things for me that I'd like to adjust add you have mostly covered (lighting the speedometer area, time display and glove compartment components, adding more wiring along the top of the dash as seen through the front windshield, etc.)

One of the big ones for me is I'd really like to add some sort of 'blue' glow under the flux dispersal bands around the front bumper and wrapped around the rear deck to emulate the 'time-travel' effect as seen here on the DST toy:

21011-2.jpg

Wondering if Electroluminescent light sheeting or tape could work for it (I've seen it used on lighting added to Star Trek enterprise models and the Millennium Falcon engine to great effect. Thoughts?

Electroluminescent Sheets and Panels

Electroluminescent tapes

and here, custom sizes, shapes and die-cuts are available, or you can cut to shape:

LED Panels and Modules, US Distributor

Electroluminescent Custom Pattern Sheet

Great list so far Anx10us. I for one am looking forward to adding a few elements to make the DeLorean just a little bit closer to the version seen on screen with these enhancements. Overall I'm really happy with a lot of what I'm seeing so far. Sure the 'A frame' is angled slightly wrong and there are a few other 'inconsistencies' as is always the case when shrinking down and molding a mass-produced replica of something seen in film.

The main things for me that I'd like to adjust add you have mostly covered (lighting the speedometer area, time display and glove compartment components, adding more wiring along the top of the dash as seen through the front windshield, etc.)

One of the big ones for me is I'd really like to add some sort of 'blue' glow under the flux dispersal bands around the front bumper and wrapped around the rear deck to emulate the 'time-travel' effect as seen here on the DST toy:

21011-2.jpg

Wondering if Electroluminescent light sheeting or tape could work for it (I've seen it used on lighting added to Star Trek enterprise models and the Millennium Falcon engine to great effect. Thoughts?

Electroluminescent Sheets and Panels

Electroluminescent tapes

and here, custom sizes, shapes and die-cuts are available, or you can cut to shape:

LED Panels and Modules, US Distributor

Electroluminescent Custom Pattern Sheet

:goodpost: I will add "'blue' glow under the flux dispersal bands" as another item.

On the same subject of EL sheets and tape - I wonder how small they can print now? Could that be a possible solution to the time circuits? Create a sticker/overlay. That way, only a small hole would be needed behind the sticker for the wires. It's another possibility worth exploring.

Ah, nice one. They will need to change colour then. Can't see the actual belts though. I guess they must be there.

Back