Optibotimus Reviews: Hot Toys Star Wars KYLO REN

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice review, thanks optibotimus! I really wonder if Adam driver hasn't approved the use of his likeness cuz I don't think the sideshow PF has a driver sculpt yet either. If hot toys can't make an unhelmeted version at some point, I think a lot more people would be picking this up. Either way I'm glad I have mine coming and appreciate the thorough look at this figure :duff

Nice review, thanks optibotimus! I really wonder if Adam driver hasn't approved the use of his likeness cuz I don't think the sideshow PF has a driver sculpt yet either. If hot toys can't make an unhelmeted version at some point, I think a lot more people would be picking this up. Either way I'm glad I have mine coming and appreciate the thorough look at this figure :duff
I don't think there's a chance in hell Disney would let any of the actors retain likeness rights. That would be really stupid and a relative nobody like Driver would be crazy to even broach it. Would be blown away if he has any say in it.

I don't think there's a chance in hell Disney would let any of the actors retain likeness rights. That would be really stupid and a relative nobody like Driver would be crazy to even broach it. Would be blown away if he has any say in it.

Crazier things have happened. I just thought somebody would have put out an unhelmeted kylo ren product by now and I still haven't seen one, but I'm sure your right, that's probly for other reasons.

Hot Toys is probably saving the Adam Driver headsculpt for the Episode 8 figure so that they can get collectors to double-dip on Kylo Ren.

If I recall correctly, didn't Hot Toys release two Spiderman 3 figures? There was the traditional red suit Spiderman but you had to double-dip and buy the black symbiote version in order to get the Tobey Maguire headsculpt.

When the Hot Toys promo pics were first released of Kylo Ren (and Captain Phasma) a few months ago, I thought perhaps there might have been some type of embargo to not show Adam Driver's face/additional headsculpt in order to avoid spoilers before the movie was released. But apparently not... for Rey, Hot Toys doesn't even include her final outfit or weapon at the end of the movie.

Hot Toys is probably saving the Adam Driver headsculpt for the Episode 8 figure so that they can get collectors to double-dip on Kylo Ren.

If I recall correctly, didn't Hot Toys release two Spiderman 3 figures? There was the traditional red suit Spiderman but you had to double-dip and buy the black symbiote version in order to get the Tobey Maguire headsculpt.

When the Hot Toys promo pics were first released of Kylo Ren (and Captain Phasma) a few months ago, I thought perhaps there might have been some type of embargo to not show Adam Driver's face/additional headsculpt in order to avoid spoilers before the movie was released. But apparently not... for Rey, Hot Toys doesn't even include her final outfit or weapon at the end of the movie.

Wasn't that photo of Kylo Ren's torso where he's holding his helmet in his arms a Hot Toys shot? That one totally baffled me. It really hinted that a Kylo Ren head sculpt was coming, but they just couldn't show anything yet. Why else show a figure holding his helmet in his arms if the helmet is his ONLY HEAD?! :rotfl

Disappointed in this review.

You said in your 1/4 Ironman review thread that you only bought this to do a review and then would sell it. It is now up for sale on your FB account. I certainly don't expect any toy reviewer to keep everything they review and be buried under a mtn of toys, but in the review you say:

1."this is how I'm going to choose to display my figure"

2.talking about the light-up arm you said you weren't going to display him that way and the regular arm will be permanently used on your figure

3. and at the end "I do enjoy having him".

Sure makes it sound like you bought him for your collection and like the figure enough that it will be part of your collection. You had no intention of keeping it and are currently trying to sell it. Sorry, but as a subscriber and long time viewer, stuff like this begins to erode my confidence in your integrity. I mean that sincerely but also respectfully. You could/should have just left out any mention of whether or not you were keeping it.

(my 2-cents)

LOL you are out of your mind if you think they are waiting that long to double/triple dip this. Ill bet they get a DX and a 2.0 out before episode 8 is released. Why wouldnt they? People will buy them, so they should.

Kylo in 8 may end up looking very different in 8, so they are going to drive this Kylo into the ground multiple times, then do the same thing with ep.8 Kylo. Well in that movie I have a feeling he will be Darth something, and get rid of this Kylo codename.

Disappointed in this review.

You said in your 1/4 Ironman review thread that you only bought this to do a review and then would sell it. It is now up for sale on your FB account. I certainly don't expect any toy reviewer to keep everything they review and be buried under a mtn of toys, but in the review you say:

1."this is how I'm going to choose to display my figure"

2.talking about the light-up arm you said you weren't going to display him that way and the regular arm will be permanently used on your figure

3. and at the end "I do enjoy having him".

Sure makes it sound like you bought him for your collection and like the figure enough that it will be part of your collection. You had no intention of keeping it and are currently trying to sell it. Sorry, but as a subscriber and long time viewer, stuff like this begins to erode my confidence in your integrity. I mean that sincerely but also respectfully. You could/should have just left out any mention of whether or not you were keeping it.

(my 2-cents)

It's certainly your choice to make that sort of decision. I'm sorry you feel that way. Nothing i said was incorrect though and i feel while you're being respectful, you're also being a bit critical of things i said. It is how i displayed him. I do enjoy having him. That speaks to the fact i like the figure. I like the figure a lot actually. That doesn't necessarily mean that at some point i wouldn't ever sell him to keep my collection focused on what i want my collection to be. At any rate, thank you for watching.

So in other words....
Obi Wan.jpg

LOL you are out of your mind if you think they are waiting that long to double/triple dip this. Ill bet they get a DX and a 2.0 out before episode 8 is released. Why wouldnt they? People will buy them, so they should.

Kylo in 8 may end up looking very different in 8, so they are going to drive this Kylo into the ground multiple times, then do the same thing with ep.8 Kylo. Well in that movie I have a feeling he will be Darth something, and get rid of this Kylo codename.

time will tell, my friend. I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct.

I'm on the fence about Kylo. I enjoyed the movie but it's kind of hard to justify plunking down the cash until the entire story arc is finished (i.e. Episode 8 & 9)... this sort of reminds me of the dilemma with some Game of Thrones merchandise.

But Kylo is a cool looking fig nonetheless.

Thanks for posting the video review, Optibotimus. Will take some time to watch it when I get home tonight.

I don't take any of these review guys seriously. They get a commission when you click on links and SS gives them free stuff. What are they gonna say? Don't buy it! Yeah, SS will send them more free stuff if that continues.
He wants you clicking on that link so he gets his $.
Get reviews from peers like on this site.

I don't take any of these review guys seriously. They get a commission when you click on links and SS gives them free stuff. What are they gonna say? Don't buy it! Yeah, SS will send them more free stuff if that continues.
He wants you clicking on that link so he gets his $.
Get reviews from peers like on this site.

I respect your opinion however, you have several things wrong when speaking directly about me. I don't get ANY commission when you click on any links i provide. It's simply a way for Sideshow to track the amount of traffic i send them. I've talked about this several times before but you might have missed it...if that's the case, i do NOT get everything for free from them. The overwhelming majority of stuff i review i buy, including Hot Toys figures. I have occasionally gotten free things buy those tend to be actual Sideshow products. If those are provided to me for review purposes and i don't care to keep the item, i tend to run giveaways that give them to viewers of mine. Clicking on the links don't do anything to help me get money. Some reviewers DO have what they call affiliate links. I don't have one of those. I'm sorry you can't take reviews seriously but at least now you have some actual facts to base your opinions on now.

Man, some people on this site just have no manners. Who cares even if Opti was paid or sells the figures? It's still worthwhile to watch for a good look at the figure. Take or don't take the editorial aspect of it to heart, but no need to run someone down or post ignorant comments.

It's not an Adam Driver likeness rights issue at all. There was a strict stipulation to not have any Kylo Ren product without the mask until after release of the movie, so Hot Toys simply didn't get it in their production queue in time for this particular figure.

That said, there is already a maskless Ren figure on the market (the 6" Elite Series at Disney Store) with a decent Adam Driver likeness. And Hasbro is releasing a 3.75" one (with a less than decent likeness) in about a month.

Personally, I wish Hot Toys had waited a bit on Kylo Ren, because it's so hard to bite on this release knowing there will be another at some point. It already feels incomplete.

Back