Style/Fashion Advice/WAYW/Daily Threads...erm Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mods forgive me if this exists...the search didn't bring up anything of such nature.

If figures and collecting are my main hobby, then clothes and shoes are my guilty pleasure. For the last five years or so I've been much more forward thinking and have cared a great deal about what I wear, and it pays off both in daily interactions with people and my personal attitude. Plus my girlfriend never has to worry about "dragging me with to go shopping", so it's a win all around.

I figured I can't be the only member here who has a love for their wardrobe/style, so why not a place to discuss and share tips, outfits, recent pick ups/deals, daily outfits, preferences, and what you've cobbled together for your appearance?

More recently I've been hooked on fun socks to add a subtle quirk to daily outfits.

Good thread. I haven't been shopping for clothes in almost a year :lol. I don't think my wardrobe is out of fashion, though. I have mostly DKNY shirts (an endless amount of them), INC and Guess jackets, some spring/winter jackets from Hawk & Co, Levi's straight fit jeans, lots of sneakers from Puma and Nike, a bunch of shirts from Uniqlo. I don't have a lot of formal attire (except for a few Van Heusen shirts and and dress pants); never had the use for it, really.

It would be nice to see what's everyone else's style...

Mr. Green is one of those that basically dress the same for work as he is at home. Shirt and Khaki and brown/black shoes for every day occasion. Funeral, wedding, parties, interview, etc. are exceptional of course.

I'll be just curious as to how the posters on this thread skew, age wise. When I was younger, I used to be quite the fashion whore. In college, I was buying clothes I had no business buying. $1,000 Calvin Klein and Andrew Marc leather jackets from Bloomingdales and Saks Fifth Avenue, $100 Gucci belt, $1000 Gucci watch...designer clothes from high end retailers (the afore mentioned department stores, Armani Exchange, Banana Republic), all before I graduated and started my career.

I mean, we're all young and dumb at some point. My fashion budget (as well as going out to the swanky/hip clubs and bars) put me in a hole, debt wise, right out of school.

I've got a house payment, wife, and three kids now, so I could care less about fashion now. I still look nice (IMO :lol) but I'm more likely to wear clothes from Target.

My one indulgences are designer underwear, Calvin Klein trunks and DKNY v neck tees.

Sweats/shorts and t-shirts when not working.

For work pretty much suits, shirts, ties and slacks from Jos A. Bank and Bjorn shoes.

Loved their old business model of Buy 1 get 3 free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good thread. I haven't been shopping for clothes in almost a year [emoji38]. I don't think my wardrobe is out of fashion, though. I have mostly DKNY shirts (an endless amount of them), INC and Guess jackets, some spring/winter jackets from Hawk & Co, Levi's straight fit jeans, lots of sneakers from Puma and Nike, a bunch of shirts from Uniqlo. I don't have a lot of formal attire (except for a few Van Heusen shirts and and dress pants); never had the use for it, really.

It would be nice to see what's everyone else's style...

You like INC? Very nice! I haven't talked to anyone who has heard of them. My favorite jacket (light weight top coat, charcoal sits above the knee) is from them. Guess that gives you an idea of what I like.

As far as style goes I try to layer nicely. I'm a big fan of lapelled vests (which are hard to find for a fair price) It's awfully hard to do in Texas during the summer, and our winter has been ass-tastic so I've had little opportunity to bring out jackets. I'll try to get some pictures in the coming weeks, hopefully someone will get a head start on me though

I'll be just curious as to how the posters on this thread skew, age wise. When I was younger, I used to be quite the fashion whore. In college, I was buying clothes I had no business buying. $1,000 Calvin Klein and Andrew Marc leather jackets from Bloomingdales and Saks Fifth Avenue, $100 Gucci belt, $1000 Gucci watch...designer clothes from high end retailers (the afore mentioned department stores, Armani Exchange, Banana Republic), all before I graduated and started my career.

I mean, we're all young and dumb at some point. My fashion budget (as well as going out to the swanky/hip clubs and bars) put me in a hole, debt wise, right out of school.

I've got a house payment, wife, and three kids now, so I could care less about fashion now. I still look nice (IMO [emoji38]) but I'm more likely to wear clothes from Target.

My one indulgences are designer underwear, Calvin Klein trunks and DKNY v neck tees.

I'm in University now, and I try to (often unsuccessfully) limit my clothes shopping. That being said, I never play high stakes the way you describe, I go for the things I like the look of more than the brand name, personally. With that though, I'm definitely willing to spend a little more if I know the item is of good quality compared to other items.

I'm glad you mentioned Target; I both love and hate their stuff. Sometimes you'll get a real bang up item for a great price, and other times it's total ****. They had some great cardigans this winter that are very good quality with a high wool percent actually. Good buy. Slightly off kilter buffalo pull over sweater? Print started coming off on my first wash. Bad buy. Still like the look of the latter, just try to get a few uses out of it and always was cold, alone.

I buy Jordan's and street wear clothes like Supreme, Undercover, visvim.

Mainly but the OG color way for Jordan's though, those I used to have back in the 90s or wish I had.

''I badly need new clothes'' - me for the past 3 or 4 years. I'll wear something till it starts letting the rain in, then I'll replace on a case by case basis :lol :monkey3

I'm in University now, and I try to (often unsuccessfully) limit my clothes shopping. That being said, I never play high stakes the way you describe, I go for the things I like the look of more than the brand name, personally. With that though, I'm definitely willing to spend a little more if I know the item is of good quality compared to other items.

I'm glad you mentioned Target; I both love and hate their stuff. Sometimes you'll get a real bang up item for a great price, and other times it's total ****. They had some great cardigans this winter that are very good quality with a high wool percent actually. Good buy. Slightly off kilter buffalo pull over sweater? Print started coming off on my first wash. Bad buy. Still like the look of the latter, just try to get a few uses out of it and always was cold, alone.

Yeah, it's good that you don't go overboard with your purchases. I was young and stupid and thought I would conquer the world. I'm semi-dating myself when I say it cost me $16,000 to finish college (my parents paid for the first few years, and it's like $16,000 for A SEMESTER OR TWO NOW). I got that much through grants. I could've gone to college free, using only those grants, but I got student loans as well, and use that money to finance my lifestyle. So stupid of me. And my first job out of college? A measley $28K a year :lol.

I'm addressing this to you specifically, but style is forver, whereas fashion is cyclical. Find your own personal style in which you're comfortable and confident in. In college I worked as a bank teller and was wearing three piece suits. No one wore three piece suits back then...they were "dated". But the three piece suit has been back for a few years now.

On the flip side, that four button suit jacket that was big in the late 90's/early 00's? Never seen again (I never bought one, by the way :lol).

''I badly need new clothes'' - me for the past 3 or 4 years. I'll wear something till it starts letting the rain in, then I'll replace on a case by case basis :lol :monkey3

This is me now. I'd rather my kids have new things before I get new things.

Yeah, it's good that you don't go overboard with your purchases. I was young and stupid and thought I would conquer the world. I'm semi-dating myself when I say it cost me $16,000 to finish college (my parents paid for the first few years, and it's like $16,000 for A SEMESTER OR TWO NOW). I got that much through grants. I could've gone to college free, using only those grants, but I got student loans as well, and use that money to finance my lifestyle. So stupid of me. And my first job out of college? A measley $28K a year [emoji38].
I definitely hear you with the tuition story. Education cost has risen so much that it's really sad. And when you look at all the truly unnecessary additions Universities add these days (hey you'll spend the rest of your days paying this off, but you had a smoothie machine next to the Starbucks in the cafeteria!) it makes it all the more appalling. Thank God for a loving, supportive family and scholarships, I'll tell you that.

I'm addressing this to you specifically, but style is forver, whereas fashion is cyclical. Find your own personal style in which you're comfortable and confident in. In college I worked as a bank teller and was wearing three piece suits. No one wore three piece suits back then...they were "dated". But the three piece suit has been back for a few years now.

Very, very well put. I wish more people would see this/follow it. I try to follow that rule all the same. Either your own thing or something timeless, those are the safest bets, as proven by your three piece.
My dress is definitely a bit more unique than those I'm around. I stand out a bit wearing fitted vests, dress shirts, oxfords, unique coats etc. amongst all the sweatpants on people haha. It's caught on. I quickly became identifiable by my attire and longer hairstyles in the departments I work in on campus.

That was a typo on my part, it was supposed to read "I'm NOT addressing this to you specifically"...:lol

Thanks for not taking it the wrong way. :duff

Personally I try to stick with men's classics that have stood the test of time because a trendy wardrobe means lots of time and money keeping it in order.

I do lots of my shopping at the likes of Zara and similar online type shops. The styling is pretty good but quality is average.

For quality materials, I go for Uniqlo. Their styling is very classic. Just bought a pair of sick selvedge denims for $50 lol.

I do spend on suits though but not in the Zegna price range.

Last edited:
The styling is pretty good but quality is average. For quality materials, I go for Uniqlo. Their styling is very classic.

Back