I noticed that some use gloves whenever handling their statues...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amphion

Super Freak
Reaction score
While watching something YouTube videos, I noticed that some use gloves while handling their statues.

I know that the acid from the oil of your fingers can corrode the paint over time but..... wouldn't that take years of touching the statues with sweaty hands?

Just seems a bit OCD to me or am I missing something?

Ah didn't think about that. Still a bit obsessive though in my opinion.

If you are 100% sure your hands are clean, and don't have anything that may stain your statue then go ahead touch it! :hi5:

Regular statues no. Signed books and framed art yes I bought a 5 pack of white gloves on Amazon for this.

While I don't use them all the time. I find them helpful when dealing with material that could potentially snag easily, like some superhero suits (HT Reeve Superman, Spider-man, etc.). Sometimes your fingers/hands might have a piece of skin or even a corner of a nail slightly off that would catch the fabric.

If it's regular material being used like pleather or denim, bare hands are fine.

I do have gloves for handling items in my collection, but not used them too often. Though when handling a high end collectible I first wash my hands and then wipe them dry - that should be the first thing a collector should do. I remember about a member on another forum long ago saying how he was taking a MR lightsaber off the display stand and because his hands were sweaty he dropped it on the floor.

Depends on the material. While I don't have gloves for this purpose myself, I can see the relevance when handling metallic pieces such as replicas swords and similar items that are things you'd maintain from time to time too. Like waxing, polishing and coating. But statues? Nah. Don't see the need.

I remember about a member on another forum long ago saying how he was taking a MR lightsaber off the display stand and because his hands were sweaty he dropped it on the floor.

WideEyedOpenMouthedStare.gif

While watching something YouTube videos, I noticed that some use gloves while handling their statues.

I know that the acid from the oil of your fingers can corrode the paint over time but..... wouldn't that take years of touching the statues with sweaty hands?

Just seems a bit OCD to me or am I missing something?

Acids from sweat and oils, fingerprints. Depends on the paint. I've actually had some statues get permanent finger prints just from carrying them in another room. I'm not saying I always do gloves but I hate 2nd hand statues for this very reason.

I always wash my hands before handling my stuff and have gloves for shiny stuff lol

Back