Action Figures or Statues? Which do you prefer?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uskimaski

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
1 moves, the other doesn't. I don't really understand what prompts people to choose whichever one they like. Action figures seem to give more value cause they are movable? But on the other hand, statues are more suited for collectors who just want to keep them as displays? Please enlighten me :(

My collection is a mix of both.. Granted it's not a very big collection. Started off strictly figures but then started getting statues of characters like Spider-Man who I feel can be better captured dynamically by a statue. I think scale matters as well. There is a good mix of both statues and figures as 1/6 scale. Any smaller and you are primarily in action figure land. Bigger scales like 1/4 are statue dominated but there are some figures as well. Once you hit 1/3 it's pretty much all statue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a mix of both, but primarily 1/6 figures. I like the articulation, even if I don't do a lot of dynamic posing. I also like having actual clothing and accessories. Granted I don't have any of the really high end statues, but in the realm of DC Direct and a lot of the Sideshow stuff, I find that the detail, especially on faces is better on Hot Toys figures than statues.

Like others have a mixture of both 1/6 scale figures and statues of varying scale. I haven't actually collected any new 1/6 scale figures for a while but do enjoy the variety, (accessories, posability etc.), especially with what's being offered today. Prices on 1/6 scale figures today are getting high just like statues. Mainly statues for the past few years, 1/5 - 1/4 scale, anything larger is getting too big for me. Especially with all the boxes...

Statues by far. To me visible articulations make them much less appealing as a display piece.

Statues only, bought some Hot Toys by mistake and now they just annoy me if I display them. That´s what I get for not reading the description carefully. (and having too many beers before loging onto ebay :cuckoo: )

I collect everything I like within my focus. That means I have 1:1 props and busts, but also 1/4 & 1/5 statues and 1/6 figures and statues.

A mix of both for me too. I prefer statues because I'm honestly not very good at making a good pose, but i do have a good mix of both so far.

Action figures. I dabbled in statues for a while and while i enjoy them and thought that was the progression for my collecting, Hot Toys threw a wrench in there and thats all i collect now.

1 moves, the other doesn't. I don't really understand what prompts people to choose whichever one they like. Action figures seem to give more value cause they are movable? But on the other hand, statues are more suited for collectors who just want to keep them as displays? Please enlighten me :(

I only collect 1/6 figures because I like being able to use the articulation to give them character and also to interest me more over time. If I feel like I'm getting bored with a figure, I'll change the pose or swap out an accessory and I'll be set for another few months. I don't have anything against statues though, they don't particularly interest me mainly because of unrealistic paint apps, hence the only releases that have ever tempted me are statues like Blitzway's Marilyn and Rocky.

Statues only, bought some Hot Toys by mistake and now they just annoy me if I display them. That´s what I get for not reading the description carefully. (and having too many beers before loging onto ebay :cuckoo: )

:lol :lol What? How on earth did you accidentally buy Hot Toys figures?

Depends on the collectible and price-point. I love statues that have artistic significance and merit (which are both entirely subjective things), typically not pop culture-related ones. So these are my two favourite statues currently:

Gummy Keiko by Fools Paradise—beautiful sculpt and I like the symbolism of seeing through the familiar gummy shell into the woman inside, wearing the bear parts as a costume
gummy_main_1024x1024.jpg

Omen Fade Ignited by Coarse—produced in memory of Roman Shevchenko, a collector (and brilliant toy photographer) who died in 2014
unnamed1.jpg

My figures fit broadly into two categories—toys I like to play with, and artistic figures that I will set up and leave, essentially statues with an underlying poseable body. The 1000Toys Synthetic Human falls into the 'toy' category for me, even though the price-point is high:

12243281_10153145032862124_8119899945523301116_n.jpg

Hot Toys' Iron Man figures are the same for me—even though many people prefer museum poses, I like to play with mine. On the other hand, one of my favourite figures is ThreeA's Dead Cosmonaut Golovorez, which has no exposed joints, a killer sculpt and a bulky cloth spacesuit. In terms of its function in my collection, it's a lightweight mixed-media statue:

951_dead.jpg

Some of my favourite pieces fall into that camp, because they're stunning to look at and have no exposed joints, but can be convincingly displayed in many poses. Look up Kenny Wong's Copperhead-18 'Dig' figure for another example.

Back