Star Trek: Discovery

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonWes

Super Freak
Reaction score
Star Trek New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

I'm excited overall, because Star Trek really belongs on TV in episodic form. I hope it's given a good budget. The expectations should be low on All Access, I think. So there's that. I am a wee bit nervous as the current movie crew seems to be in charge. I'm hoping it goes well. I liked the first reboot movie. The second one was overall pretty good except some problems here and there. My preference would be for it to be set post-TNG/DS9/VOY in the same universe and not the new JJverse. But that seems less likely.

Re: New Star Trek TV Series in 2017!

So it's only available online and we have to pay?

EEpfpFo.gif

I think my jaw just hit the floor. Best news...ever? Perhaps.

Though I am less than optomistic considering the issues you brought up, the main thing I dislike is that you have to subscribe to this all-access thing to see it. Which I will, of course, so there's that.

EDIT: I would think that unless they completely rewrite history, it'd have to be in the prime timeline somewhere. Just because the new movies are owned by Paramount, not CBS, and based on the way they wrote it, it seems like the new stuff is pretty off-limits.

It's sad that it's online and pay. But you know, we NEED 15 different police procedural shows and reality TV on the main networks. :mad:

It's sad that it's online and pay. But you know, we NEED 15 different police procedural shows and reality TV on the main networks. :mad:

What's sad is that people still WATCH them. Honestly, I haven't really watched anything scripted on TV in months. The only reason I keep my cable package is for sports. BUT with reduced expectations, it'd be expected this won't go the way of Firefly.

Beat me too it, I'm excited to see more Star Trek on the way but the online trend we are seeing of late needs to go away and die in a corner asap, we are seeing this with Top Gear in the UK and I refuse to pay for them given how much I pay for TV and broadband already. I didn't like Enterprise at all, hopefully this will be better..

On the one hand I'm not a major fan of the Abrams rebooting and I thought STID in particular was pretty crap. I think the whole premise of the reboot has a fundamental problem in that this may be the first time in Star Trek canon where a major change to the timeline occurred and everyone just said ''oh well'' instead of using time travel again to correct it.

However, having said all this, maybe the new timeline presents interesting possibilities should this new show be set in the changed universe.

So it's only available online and we have to pay?

EEpfpFo.gif

:lol @ Gif

Are they different? I thought it was 15 identical police procedural shows.

If its not set between TWOK and TUC then i'm not bothered.

Are they different? I thought it was 15 identical police procedural shows.

Well, some of the names of the shows are slightly different, or the location is different, or there are different initials involved somehow. That makes them completely original, right?

Well, some of the names of the shows are slightly different, or the location is different, or there are different initials involved somehow. That makes them completely original, right?

I was elated the other day when I heard the original CSI show had ended. I already knew that CSI New York and Miami were finished. Alas my joy was shortlived as I discovered one that escaped the cull - CSI cyber or something, with James Van Der Beek. So close!

The other one of course is NCIS. I think there's at least 3 of those ****ers.

I was elated the other day when I heard the original CSI show had ended. I already knew that CSI New York and Miami were finished. Alas my joy was shortlived as I discovered one that escaped the cull - CSI cyber or something, with James Van Der Beek. So close!

The other one of course is NCIS. I think there's at least 3 of those ****ers.

I used to watch CSI Miami until I found out that it wasn't filmed in Miami. :lol I hate when tv shows do that.

I have my doubts. None of the past few series were ever really good. I heard a while back Michael Dorn was pushing hard for a series based on Worf. Wonder if this is that.

Not very interested if it's in the Abrams-verse. If it's in the original Star Trek universe, though, I'll be very interested.

I have my doubts. None of the past few series were ever really good. I heard a while back Michael Dorn was pushing hard for a series based on Worf. Wonder if this is that.

I doubt it. I think at different points Dorn, Frakes, Bryan Singer and maybe even Bryan Fuller were all developing concepts. But they went with the movie guys anyway.

Not very interested if it's in the Abrams-verse. If it's in the original Star Trek universe, though, I'll be very interested.

Yes. I was ok with the first Abrams movie making an alternate universe for them to play with. ST:ID, not so much. Hate that movie with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. No interest in the 3rd upcoming flick at all. They lost me.

I think the worst bit about the whole "buy this channel online" thing is that the implication is there that the show won't have enough of a fan base to get advertisers on a major channel. "We'd put this on CBS, but it's only you nerds who want it, and you're desperate enough to pay for it yourselves!" It's frustrating. :mad:

The subscription bit may spell the end of the show before it starts.

And what else do you get for your $6 a month? Other cbs shows? Do i get the catalog of cbs shows or just whats on now? Cbs is over the air, not even cable. So why why i pay to watch cbs when it comes on my tv for free? Too many questions and barriers to entry to be psyched that this will last as long as the other shows.

The subscription bit may spell the end of the show before it starts.

And what else do you get for your $6 a month? Other cbs shows? Do i get the catalog of cbs shows or just whats on now? Cbs is over the air, not even cable. So why why i pay to watch cbs when it comes on my tv for free? Too many questions and barriers to entry to be psyched that this will last as long as the other shows.

It's the Catalog of CBS shows, not just what's on now. It's on the CBS All-Access site.

Set this in the original timeline and I'll be excited. Set this in the JJ Abrams universe and I won't give a care.

Also making this a premium exclusive seems dumb. I won't pay to watch them air but would check them out on subsequent DVD/Bluray releases. I think if they were set on the premium exclusive route, Netflix or Amazon Prime would have been the better options. I believe more people subscribe to those. I never have heard of All Access.

Cbs all access launches in jan of 17 i think. I give cbs credit for venturing out with something new. Usually network tv follows, not leads. This would be the first network subscription channel. But to tie this show to the launch of their subscrip deal sucks. And if they set it in the JJ universe you can forget it.

I always thought the section 31 stuff from ds9 was cool. The federation shows it's not so squeaky clean after all. Plus sci fi espionage is a gold mine imo.

Back