The Children of Hurin Cover Revealed

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyarion

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hey guys, for those awaiting The Children of Hurin in April, here's a sneak peak at the cover:

The_Children_of_Hurin_cover.jpg

(Thanks to Tolkien Gateway)

Also here's a stamp that will be gold foiled in the Deluxe edition:

The_Children_of_Hurin_stamp.jpg

April 17th.

As the Shadow & Flame members know, I'm currently working on the Croatian translation of The Children of Húrin. I've got the full text and all the Alan Lee illustrations within the book, and they're indeed beautiful and hugely accomplished, if very restrained. All are black and white, and done in his preferred pencil-on-paper style.

I'm bound by my confidentiality agreement not to say anything about the text itself, but I can at least point out what every reader of the Unfinished Tales should easily see: the gold-foil stamp represents the Dragon-helm of Dor-lómin, and Túrin, the hero of the book, is shown wearing it in the gorgeous cover illustration, during his time on Amon Rûdh, the chief stronghold of the Land of Bow and Helm.

I can't tell you how moving this work is. (But it is, so is...)

You are one lucky dog Seretur :) I am very jealous.

I do believe they changed the release date to Monday April 16th however, the sooner the better I guess.

I'd be jealous of myself too. But then, this kind of an assignment brings along extreme responsibility -- you don't want to be accused of doing a sloppy job just because your translation is coming out day and date. Which is why I'm spending most of my waking hours devoted to it.

In a way, I'm glad this book came along, because, honestly, after 40 published titles I really didn't feel there was anything challenging left out there...

Just noticed that Alan Lee did the cover art. He is my second favorite tolkien artist behind Ted Nasmith and slightly ahead of John Howe.....Lee did a good job

I am really excited about this book. I have the complete History of Middle Earth in hardback and someday I will tackle them. I have read a little and while they don't flow like The Hobbit and the trilogy you can tell it is Tolkien and so wonderful. I am hoping for the same from this one.

JohnyBoo said:
I am really excited about this book. I have the complete History of Middle Earth in hardback and someday I will tackle them. I have read a little and while they don't flow like The Hobbit and the trilogy you can tell it is Tolkien and so wonderful. I am hoping for the same from this one.

These are scholarly books, so don't expect an easy read. The Book of Lost Tales and the Lays of Beleriand are somewhat standalone pieces; then it gets immersed into the history of the writing of LOTR and Silm, so beware...

I have glanced through them and they do seem slow reading, someday when I am not so rushed I will delve into them. They sure were expensive but I am sure they are worth it.

JohnyBoo said:
I have glanced through them and they do seem slow reading, someday when I am not so rushed I will delve into them. They sure were expensive but I am sure they are worth it.
Do you have the complete HoME in one complete set??:confused: I've been looking for a company that makes the complete set (hardcover), but I haven't found any yet.

carbo-fation said:
Do you have the complete HoME in one complete set??:confused: I've been looking for a company that makes the complete set (hardcover), but I haven't found any yet.

It has been released in a three volume slip-cased set at least, but was very limited and getting rather expensive now days!!!

home-hb-2002a.jpg

And as single volumes as well... (that is, three single slip-cased volumes)

000710507X-uk_book-resized200.jpg

Last edited:
Back