Smaug the Terrible repaint

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dlesko

Freaked Out
Reaction score
This is a total repaint of WETA's Smaug the Terrible statue. The factory paint job was horrible. I really like how this turned out. This was done with an airbrush along with wax metallic paints. Loved to hear your opinions on how this turned out.

Factory Paint job:

Why is his face white? Have u seen the Smaug bust? Now that one looks amazing. I much prefer that color scheme

You're right. I was trying something different with the lighter lower jaw. My client liked it but I think this looks better:

As a lover of dragons, I have dozens and dozens of them in my collection, I must admit that I really do like the more fiendish look, and that includes the white muzzle. However, as far as Smaug goes, I think the colors probably fall somewhere in between the factory and the repaint. The scenes were usually pretty dark, and thus it's hard to get an accurate representation of what the digital paint scheme was before all the extra stuff was thrown in, if you are going just by the movie. I remember the pictures of the full size head they had at SDCC, as well as some of the digital files, and I would trust the colors in those to be the most representative. The actual paint work on the repaint is superb nonetheless.
weta-booth-smaug-01.jpg
the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-fx-049-1500x1000.jpg

Hello
Would the OP mind stating a price (or price range) for what a custom paint up like this goes for?

Funny thing is looking back on the white mouth, I actually like it because it looks different. Much more animalistic. Although I do like the red which looks fine. Hopefully I'll have in about a week and will post more images. For me it's a 1000 times better than the factory paint.

The white mouth did look pretty cool, I'll admit that. Just for Smaug, it is too far from the movie version in my opinion.

I'm excited to see my factory paint version arrive in a couple weeks as I still think the factory paint is great in all the pics I've seen, but Dave really did an amazing job on yours PCE.

Be sure to post more pics.

The white mouth did look pretty cool, I'll admit that. Just for Smaug, it is too far from the movie version in my opinion.

I'm excited to see my factory paint version arrive in a couple weeks as I still think the factory paint is great in all the pics I've seen, but Dave really did an amazing job on yours PCE.

Be sure to post more pics.

Will post images for sure once I get it back, really excited to see it in person.

The factory piece/paint is still a great item, very large with lots of detail. One of Wetas best offerings yet I think and I was really glad I got it. I was thinking about getting the bust but having this (now repainted) I don't think I'll need it. There was mention of something (fell-beast) on the horizon that was comparable to daddy Smaug, with Grond previewed there is a lot still on the way.

Thanks guys. I purposely made the gold darker, I thought it over powered the piece. I loved the lighter color on the mouth (it wasn't white, it looked lighter in the shots) but you guys were right, it didn't look like Smaug. That's a trick I'll keep for my next dragon :)

Back