Alita: Battle Angel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Snoopy

Dark Beagle of the Sith
Staff member
Super Moderator
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I was a big fan of the Manga so I really hope this can be done well in live action. :pray:

Robert Rodriguez to Team With James Cameron For ‘Alita: Battle Angel’

angel-social-570x297.jpg

Robert Rodriguez is in talks to direct James Cameron’s long-planned adaptation of “Battle Angel Alita” at Fox.

Retitled “Alita: Battle Angel,” the live-action project is based on the popular cyberpunk manga by Yukito Kishiro about a female cyborg discovered in a garbage heap by a scientist. With no memory of her previous life, except for her deadly martial-arts skills, she becomes a bounty hunter, tracking down criminals.

Cameron has attempted to get the adaptation off the ground for more than 15 years, saying in 2012 that he hoped to turn to the project once he completes the sequels to “Avatar.”

“Robert and I have been looking for a film to do together for years, so I was pumped when he said he wanted to do Battle Angel,” Cameron said in a statement published by The Hollywood Reporter. “He’s very collaborative and we’re already like two kids building a go-kart, just having fun riffing creatively and technically. This project is near and dear to me, and there’s nobody I trust more than Robert, with his technical virtuosity and rebel style, to take over the directing reins. We’re looking forward to learning a lot from each other while we make a kick-ass epic.”

Originally published from 1990 to 1995, “Battle Angel Alita” has inspired an original video animation and a video game.

I do remember there being a thread on this awhile back but I can't find it. :gah:

Last edited:
Re: Robert Rodriguez to Team With James Cameron For ‘Alita: Battle Angel’

Robert Rodriguez taking over directing? :monkey4 I think he makes fun films, but I don't think any of them are that good.

I can't believe studios are still giving RR money to make films. I really want to see this film made but not with Rodriguez.

Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita is my favorite manga of all time. I was trying to keep an open mind about this, but I don't think Rodriguez could pull it off. :/

Interesting, if you like it Snoop I dare say I'm gonna like it too then.

Looking forward to seeing/hearing more about it.

Interesting, if you like it Snoop I dare say I'm gonna like it too then.

I hope this is a really good movie because I really like the character.

I'm not a big Robert Rodriguez fan but I think with the right approach to the license it can be a good movie. :D

Looking forward to seeing/hearing more about it.

Same here! :duff

Why does it take Cameron so long to get these projects underway? I've been hearing about him wanting to do this for at least a decade, and i think he was attached to doing Spider-Man in the 90's but it never happened.

Why does it take Cameron so long to get these projects underway? I've been hearing about him wanting to do this for at least a decade, and i think he was attached to doing Spider-Man in the 90's but it never happened.

He gets indecisive about what shirts he's going to wear and eventually the studio hires someone less particular.

its gonna be a sharkboy and lavagurl meet spy kids spin off.

I don't know, RR is just about what BAA deserves.

JC was a little too good for this, he should be directing Ghost in the Shell, not this.

yeah doubt it happens...

I don't know, RR is just about what BAA deserves.

JC was a little too good for this, he should be directing Ghost in the Shell, not this.

Too good for Baa?
BAA has all that made Cameron movies cool.
Strong female lead , crazy action, great designs.
Im really bummed that he choose to let it go, even if i kinda like some of Rodriguez work hes a billion miles away from Camerons abilities.
Only watched the Gits movies and i found them to suffer from being too pompeous.
Like most of oshii s work. Its too in your face intelectualism not subtle.
However the assault on the robot factory in Gits innocence feels like an animated James Cameron scene.

Too good for Baa?
BAA has all that made Cameron movies cool.
Strong female lead , crazy action, great designs.
GITS too, but better and with better sci-fi.

Im really bummed that he choose to let it go, even if i kinda like some of Rodriguez work hes a billion miles away from Camerons abilities.
Only watched the Gits movies and i found them to suffer from being too pompeous.
Like most of oshii s work. Its too in your face intelectualism not subtle.
However the assault on the robot factory in Gits innocence feels like an animated James Cameron scene.
I think Rodriguez' style is better suited for this.

The rest of the movies might be pompous, but there's nothing pompous about the 1995 movie.

GITS too, but better and with better sci-fi.

I think Rodriguez' style is better suited for this.

The rest of the movies might be pompous, but there's nothing pompous about the 1995 movie.

Better i would not say that, they are very different takes on scifi.
One is a realistic cold cyberpunk existential flick the other an actioner in a cyberpunk/MadMax world with a lot of heart.
Rodriguez has no real style.
He makes some entertaining flicks, or used to.
But i get What yu mean, hes more pulp mindless action oriented.
I dont see Baa as just as a cool girl vs mech manga.
Her whole evolution, the moto râblé with the charismatic jasugann, her live story with Yugo, the cruel crazy universe.
Gits to me is not something that can gain from becoming a live action movie.
The character designs, camera work all fee already very realistic, it already feels like a live action movie.
A live action version of Baa would have been really fresh with Cameron time less camera work.
Well its never gonna happen so...
I just hope that Rodriguez Will be as lazy as he always is and Will use all the work, previz, Storyboards, designs done by Cameron.
Im not a big fan of Guillermo Del Toro , basically hate most of his work (hate his yelowish cinematography and all his sets look like sets), but i would have prefered to see him get the project.

Last edited:
Back