Big Chief Studios - Moriarty (Sherlock) 1/6 Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonWes

Super Freak
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread dedicated to Moriarty, but the priority pre-order has gone up for him, with the regular period to follow soon.

jim-moriarty-gallery-2.jpg

jim-moriarty-gallery-3.jpg

jim-moriarty-gallery-5.jpg

jim-moriarty-gallery-6.jpg

jim-moriarty-gallery-14.jpg

jim-moriarty-gallery-18.jpg

James "Jim" Moriarty is the world's only "consulting criminal"; a stark contrast to the occupation of his nemesis Sherlock Holmes. A sadistic, psychopathic criminal genius, he has an incredible capability for changing his tone of voice and behaviour several times in a single sentence for psychological effect. Moriarty is ruthless, committing torture and murder in sadistic ways, not caring whether people live or die. Officially licensed by the makers of Sherlock, Hartswood Films, each figure features a fully realised likeness of Andrew Scott, attired in one of his designer suits, together with numerous accessories and a display stand.
The exclusive Signature Edition of the Jim Moriarty figure is signed by Andrew Scott. Available in a strictly limited edition of only 400 pieces, each figure comes with a hand-signed autograph plaque, display stand and a certificate of authenticity.

Specification
1 x Jim Moriarty Head Portrait featuring an Authentic Likeness of Andrew Scott
1 x Tailored Suit Jacket
1 x Pair of Tailored Suit Trousers
1 x Tailored Shirt with Round Collar
1 x Tie with Printed Pattern
1 x Medium Length Overcoat
1 x Pair of Gentleman's Shoes
1 x Pair of Sock Tubes (Partial)
8 x Interchangeable Hands
1 x Display Base
Autograph Plaque Hand-signed by Andrew Scott * *
Acrylic Plaque Stand * *

Accessories
1 x Tea Cup & Saucer
1 x Smart Phone
1 x Pistol with Removable Magazine
1 x IOU Apple
1 x Multi-tool Knife

Packaging
Pack Size: W190mm (7.48") x H360mm (14.17") x D120mm (4.72")
Carton Size: W196mm (7.72") x H366mm (14.41") x D126mm (4.96")
Product Size: H276mm (11")

Credits
Project Management, Figure Design & Development: BIG Chief Studios Ltd.
Sculpting & 3D Digital Modelling Direction: Tony Leetham
Portrait Sculpt: Tony Leetham
Paint Decoration & Fabrication: Tony Leetham & Greggo
Product Photography & Packaging Design: Mark Andrews & Greggo
Special Thanks to: Hartswood Films Ltd., Sue Vertue and Andrew Scott.

* Signature Edition only
** Product size and weight are approximate. Shipping is calculated by volumetric weight. Costs shown are subject to change without prior notice.s

kinda feel the same, do want to like it, but feel as tho a cheeky smile would have been a much better expression for Moriarty.

is that a 2nd shirt he comes with?

BCS really needs to progress in their headsculpts. They don't seem to be improving.

I think the head sculpt looks great. I actually think he has a nice, evil gleam in his eyes and looks just like the actor. ::shrug:: But, I never get the problem most people have with a lot of the head sculpts here. A smirking alt head sculpt would be great, but I actually think this works better for a display.

The extra shirt and tie are a BCS exclusive when you order with them.

BCS does do repaints/Alternate heads sometimes after the fact.

Since otherwise he's just a guy in a suit, I for one would buy a Moriarty ONLY like this:

original.gif

I think you guys are underestimating his appeal as a character. People buy figures all the time because of the character, even if it is just a guy in a suit. He's Sherlock's main nemesis. I actually think Amy would have sold better if the figure itself looked better. I don't think it was about character choice. It was about the original head, hair and jacket looking a bit of a mess after it came out the other end.

I do think Moriarty (and Mycroft, even more so) are going to be riskier propositions. But I don't think their clothing means they won't be good sellers.

The sculpt is a reasonable likeness, but as people have said, it's boring - BCS keep saying that they only do neutral expressions (other than variants like smiling Tom) but this makes it hard to capture the personality of the character. Moriarty might be iconic but you don't get any of the things that make him iconic in that sculpt -his danger, his humour, his madness.

The unexciting sculpt matters more because the release looks to be such poor value, especially after the amazing Series 7 Matt Smith release with all its bells and whistles which was a tenner cheaper. This is the same price as the latest Doctor Who figures but doesn't even have a light up stand, and the accessories are both minimal and boring - especially in comparison with Sherlock who came with a violin.

There's nothing 'wrong' with this release, nothing contemptible like an awful sculpt, it just lacks any kind of fun factor; even the exclusive is the most boring exclusive ever (a shirt and tie!). For that money I would have expected the standard release to come with a removable hairpiece and a crown plus all the other accessories from the Tower of London scene; or at least an extra head of some kind - maybe a smirking Moriarty, or a new improved Sherlock portrait, or Sherlock with a buzby (the bearskin hat) or Irene Adler - the Series 7 Eleventh Doctor release created so much fun as people tried to customise 12th Doctor's, and it was a joy to watch people getting creative with the extra Capaldi head. This release should have come with something like that. As it is, buying it feels like a chore, something I'll only do because I love the character, not because I love the figure (and which I'll think hard before doing anyway, given how expensive it is).

Yep, I agree. He needs a smirking expression, something really evil. Anything to make the sculpt more exciting. It's a very good likeness for sure, just needs something extra.

BCS really needs to progress in their headsculpts. They don't seem to be improving.

I don't agree with this at all. Their original 4th Doctor sculpt is good but not great, the Hartnell is a big improvement and the new 11th Doctor is just about Hot Toys quality. I don't watch Sherlock so I can't say how the likeness is for this but on the Doctor Who side the likeness has improved with each figure.

Their tailoring appears to be getting better and that overcoat looks much nicer than the one they shipped with Sherlock.
Sculpt looks good I think but yes, their prices are just way too high.

I sold my signature edition numbered set on ebay a few weeks ago so don't need this.
The figures were nice but IMO not amazing to look at or have on the shelf.

I've preordered this one, but do agree - the sculpt isn't the best. I ordered it because I'd like it to go with Sherlock, Watson and the door (a nice set). Like my BCS Sherlock - I shall replace the sculpt when a better one comes along on the custom market. The new sculpt I have for Sherlock makes the BCS one look like a cheap toy.

Hmmm...I'm a massive fan of Andrew Scott and his Moriarty, so I have to get him I guess.
But I don't like how "rough" his skin looks like.
That guy has the most perfect skin I've ever seen :)

I personally think BCS does wonderful head sculpts, though not as good as bigger companies like HT (I still prefer action figures by HT, and I used to wish HT had license over making the Doctor Who figures when I first saw the Amy figure so that we could have a more "authentic" looking one :lol).

This Moriarty does capture the likeness of Andrew Scott, but the painting could have a little more improvement. Moriarty may be Sherlock's primary nemesis, but he didn't really have much appearances with memorable props anyways - which may explain the boring variety of accessories that comes with him. I think if BCS came out with a Moriarty with casual wear and the Crown Jewels set instead, and the normal suit as an exclusive incentive would've been a huge whopper :lol

Back