The Light of Earendil

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamspheres

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Somebody had to do this…and do it properly. This is intended to be deadly screen accurate.
Made from glass and filled with a special liquid, just as it should be.

My version of this iconic piece is made from borosilicate glass which is clearer and harder than lead crystal glass. It’s the same as Pyrex, the ovenware glass, so it is much more resistant to temperature shock.

I had this idea in mind for a month or so but finding somebody to make it for me was a major task. I am no glass-blower so I had to source this elsewhere but this particular phial presents a number of problems regarding shape and wall-thickness, especially since there are six dimples in the body part.

Most traditional glass-blowers quickly retreated when I showed them my drawings because they were incapable of making something like this without first creating expensive moulds. Even then, they would have difficulties in maintaining an even thickness of glass round the bulb and the neck. Perhaps that’s why nobody made it in glass before.

However, I have found a retired glass-worker who is a master craftsman with over 47 years’ continuous experience and one of the most respected artists in his field of work. He has agreed to collaborate with me in bringing this phial to life. Technically, this is a very difficult piece to make but he has demonstrated his craftsmanship by producing these as hand-made works of art. Each piece might vary slightly because much of the work is done by eye. They will all be very good indeed.

So, here it is….I introduce to you my version of The Light of Earendil.

light of Earendil 1.jpg

light of Earendil 5.jpg

round.jpg

light of Earendil 3.jpg

The price has yet to be finally calculated by will be between £85 and £105.

I have just updated my website with more photos of the phial on a new page, and it is now available to purchase from the 'buy online' section.

Price is £98.50 and the postage is £9.80. I am planning to pack the phial inside a plastic bag, wrapped in corrugated paper and inside a cardboard mailing tube.
I don't except to be able to post out until the 24th August but suggest any interested members use the 'buy online' page to complete transactions through PayPal.
This will save a lot of time exchanging emails and PM's.

Dreamspheres :: Light of Earendil gallery

Thanks all.

Some of the members who have ordered the Light of Eärendil have some pretty unique plans for displaying the phial, but in case there are any stuck for ideas I have a few items that might be of interest.

I have just added a Phial stand page to my website, mostly featuring Selenite crystal stands and LED light bases.

Dreamspheres :: Phial stands

UPDATE

In response to your requests for a COA I can confirm that ALL orders will be sent out with a Certificate of Authenticity, personally signed by myself and the glass artist. It will also be dated.

It will be printed on decent quality A4 paper and rolled up inside the outer cardboard packing tube.

Here's a small version of the Certificate which I have designed, which will be suitable for framing if required.

certificate small 2.jpg

Please don't miss this opportunity to add this unique piece to your collection. Both the glass artist and myself are in mid-60's and I don't know of anybody else who would go to these lengths to create such an object. Entirely hand-crafted throughout, individually made. Jim is one of very few glass artists who can make this and he does it with a touch of elegance and flair.
The response so far has been overwhelming, thank you from myself and Jim.

Don't let this be you....
missed the boat.jpg

IMPORTANT NOTICE

It has recently been brought to my attention that my version of the phial is not as ‘screen accurate’ as I first thought. This is concerning the number of dimples that run around the main bulb of the bottle. My version has 6 dimples whereas the bottle used in the film had a different design, shaped more like a pumpkin.
It also had a great many imperfections in the glass where the wall-thickness of the glass varies quite a lot. My version doesn’t have these and the wall-thickness is far better controlled.

I would therefore like to correct my original statement about it being ‘screen-accurate’. It would seem that the Noble version was wrong as well. Apologies for any confusion, and if any members wish to cancel their order they may do so and the payment will be refunded.

However, you may rest assured that I will not be changing the design of my version now or at any time in the future.

screen version.jpg

ANOTHER UPDATE

I’m pleased to report that I received the first batch of glass phials and stoppers from Jim yesterday and they are looking perfect. Now I have to apply the metal effect to the neck and stoppers, fill them and seal them.

Now, I know you are all perfectly happy with the photos I have posted showing the filigree decoration around the top, which was applied using a ‘silver effect’ paint for glass. Ever since I started this project a few months ago I have been slightly unhappy with this part of the detail, even though it looks quite nice and acceptable. But, you know me..

I really wanted to have proper silver-looking metal around the neck to make it even more realistic, but despite my earlier efforts I couldn’t find a way to do this…

UNTIL NOW!

Having spent a lot of time experimenting with different techniques and materials, and an awful lot of cursing, I have finally developed my own unique method of getting the metal onto the glass around the neck. I like it so much more that I have already gone ahead and started to make EVERY phial with this real metal decoration. I am confident that everyone will love this improvement. Better to do it now rather than later, right?

One of the problems I had was getting the metal to stick to the glass with a reasonable degree of security, but the nature of the glass, being borosilicate, is so smooth. The more you try to clean it, the worst it gets.. So, I had to apply a thin coating of clear metal lacquer to the surface of the glass and let it dry. This gives a better ‘key’ for the metal to adhere to and is completely invisible. However, this metal-work cannot be realistically applied to the stopper due to its intricate curved shape. In fact, the stopper is such an elegant work of art in itself with its’ tiny flame inside it seems such a shame to hide it. This stopper will be decorated with the silver-effect paint.
However, if any members don’t like it and want to make a change to a plain stopper the paint can be removed with a sharp craft knife and meths.
All of the filigree work, metal and paint is intended for purely for decoration purposes and I would urge owners not to go ‘picking’ at it. As you see from the photos, the metal has an ‘antique silver’ look about it. That’s because the metal is lead. It may darken in time just like silver does.

There is no change to the price at this stage, but I might have to consider a small increase at some point in the future to cover the additional expense and time.

DSCF4157.jpg

DSCF4156.jpg

DSCF4163.jpg

I posted a link? Oh wait you mean my signature. That shows up on every post I make automatically. I totally forgot it was even there.

Back