XM Studios Poison Ivy - KNIGHT of the RISING SUN 1/4 Premium Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy Bear

Super Freak
Reaction score
"XM Poison Ivy costume concept....." XM FB

11813472_1582056865348340_4515472038699127709_n.jpg

11855748_1582056892015004_4960818036422696677_n.jpg

It's such a weird thing, because as a company you want to get these pieces as close to their original likenesses without "breaking the licensing agreement" to make sure to keep fan interest, and yet that leads to some hits and misses in terms of overall feeling. At first glance, I think this is one of their better Batman pieces, because it's easily recognizable as Poison Ivy...it's basically her in a Japanese kimono, looking stylish.

But then you add in the masks (which even for concept art look terrible! :lol) and it takes away from it. And if she has to have makeup on her face, then that'll also take away from the piece somewhat as well. And that leads me to my second glance, which is less of a glance, and more of an observation that many feel with this line: You kinda just want the actual character over something that's "kind of" the actual character.

If this comes with a regular face, then I think it'd be more appealing. You can throw in faces with makeup as well for alternate sculpts, but I think it'd look best if it looked like Ivy just wearing a kimono, seducing Samurai Batman. :lol Again, I don't think I'd spend XM money on it, but it at least suits her seductive style a lot more than some of the concept art has so far -- mainly "ninja" Catwoman.

I'd probably put this a close second to Samurai Batman in terms of passable characters that could be put in a collection and get recognized instantly as said character. The two would work well together as well...Poison Ivy went over to Japan and is wreaking havoc with her poisonous plants, and Batman goes over in Samurai gear to stop her. Huzzah! Yakuza Joker is cool, and there are ways his concept will work, but it's always an alternate universe Joker that will need to be explained in most cases.

I'm intrigued to see this one sculpted and how they decide to pose it! It has the chance to be a seductive, nice looking piece. It could also go the opposite direction quite quickly if there's no regular portrait.

Honestly, batman is the only one that interests me. He basically exudes "badass" and still reads as batman. These other ones, while cool takes on the characters just don't read as well. I think the Catwoman is my least favorite so far. This one is ok but certainly not anything I am going to buy. I already have my SSC Poison Ivy and Catwoman and that's good enough for me. Depending on how Bats looks when they show the sculpt, I will decide if I really need him in my collection. I am on a batman rampage right now so if they show something while I'm still in it, I just might bite:lol

Honestly, batman is the only one that interests me. He basically exudes "badass" and still reads as batman. These other ones, while cool takes on the characters just don't read as well. I think the Catwoman is my least favorite so far. This one is ok but certainly not anything I am going to buy. I already have my SSC Poison Ivy and Catwoman and that's good enough for me. Depending on how Bats looks when they show the sculpt, I will decide if I really need him in my collection. I am on a batman rampage right now so if they show something while I'm still in it, I just might bite:lol

Yup... Only Bat got my attention.

Gut reaction is this design is light years better than Cat Woman, as I like the vine twisting up her torso and the plants with chompers extending from it. The umbrella is so so. All the masks I dislike, but that's largely in part b/c I dislike them and that style on anything whatsoever. At the concept stage I'd put this distant 2nd behind Batman, Joker 3rd and CW batting cleanup.

Same here. It feels more like Japanese art adapted to the Batman universe and no the Batman universe adapted to Japanese art.

I'm laughing at certain know-it-all-fools that post way too much on this forum and act as though they're well connected and have said numerous times that XM would never get DC or that it was years away. Like you know S$%t. Quit pretending like you're somebody. :lol:cuckoo: XM WILL come to North America soon too. Again... I cannot resist laughing at certain buffoons. :lol As for the design, epic as always but I would ditch the Japan influence (as much as I love the Japanese) and get back to Batman basics.

Last edited:
I dig Poison Ivy, Catwoman and Batman because to me they aren't complete reinterpretations of the characters but instead the normal characters dressed up in Japanese inspired outfits. Love the Batman. Ivy concept is good. Catwoman's costume needs modifying.

Same here. It feels more like Japanese art adapted to the Batman universe and no the Batman universe adapted to Japanese art.

I agree, but that's why I like the 3 that I like. Joker is off to me.

For me it's best to:
1. Either keep these as seemingly the comic characters dressed in Japanese influenced outfits
2. Or go all out and fully adapt the characters to Japanese art and literally have them looking like 3D representations of Japanese artwork, complete with color techniques and sculpting style... I think that'd be cool but most people want normal versions of the characters.

But not the in between state Joker is in. He's comic Joker with Japanese tattoos, a weird pseudo reinterpretation since skin modification is more than just a simple costume change, yet without the tattoos it's just normal Joker in Japanese inspired clothing.

Hints are that Bane is planned to be a Sumo wrestler. Now that's a reinterpretation.

These are just like DC's Bombshell statues which seem to be very popular.... I get why comic purists will hate these but I think there is defiantly a market out there for these type of statues. They're very unique...

I'm laughing at certain know-it-all-fools that post way too much on this forum and act as though they're well connected and have said numerous times that XM would never get DC or that it was years away. Like you know S$%t. Quit pretending like you're somebody. :lol:cuckoo: XM WILL come to North America soon too. Again... I cannot resist laughing at certain buffoons. :lol As for the design, epic as always but I would ditch the Japan influence (as much as I love the Japanese) and get back to Batman basics.

If you had read the other forum, and understood what the license details and how it was given, you'd understand that a.) This isn't a typical license and b.) Your comment about Batman basics is impossible due to other license holders. You'd also know that they can not sell outside designated regions for the same reason they can not do comic versions, because other companies hold those rights.

These are just like DC's Bombshell statues which seem to be very popular.... I get why comic purists will hate these but I think there is defiantly a market out there for these type of statues. They're very unique...

Pretty much what I'm seeing as well, and you're right this will appeal to some without a doubt. It's just not what everyone who wanted XM to have a DC license was expecting, but I guess they didn't want to wait another year and half or so.

I think this might be worse than Catwoman.

How many of these are they going to put up at once? Because I am not at all sure the market exists for some of these iterations.

I still think they are going to have to change multiple things to get approval as well, some elements are far too spot on.

Truly bizarre.

Play Arts Kai has no problem moving Batman figures at $100+ a pop and they have a dozen Batman variations on the market already.

If these can sell, and 3A's duck foot Doom & IM figs can sell at ~$150ea, there's probably a market for a 1:4 scale, high quality, low ES run of collectibles of this nature as well.

SEP10538.jpg

images

Back