Palantir of Orthanc

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamspheres

Freakalicious
Reaction score
I don't think anybody has attempted to re-create one of these, so I thought I would give it my best attention.

I am very pleased with the results...it is screen accurate and is 6 inches in diameter, weighing about 4.4 kilos.

Oh, it also glows blue in a darkened room!

Screen accurate Palantir 16.jpg

Screen accurate Palantir 11.jpg

Screen accurate Palantir 17.jpg

That's pretty cool.

I think the glowing effect is nicely done.

Great job on the prop!

Thanks mrdbios,

These are a bit difficult to produce but I have made over 10 by now so it's getting easier. The 'blue glow' effect was an extra that I threw in for added interest, but you will need a UV torch or sunlight to make this blue glow happen at its' best.

Thanks mrdbios,

These are a bit difficult to produce but I have made over 10 by now so it's getting easier. The 'blue glow' effect was an extra that I threw in for added interest, but you will need a UV torch or sunlight to make this blue glow happen at its' best.

Ah, so it's not internally lit. Are you painting it on the inside of the sphere to give it the translucent-glossy look?

It really does look cool.

They are not lit internally but will be 'activated' by sunlight or a UV torch to produce the blue glow. They are solid objects. Glad you like them.

Screen accurate Palantir 10.jpg

Wow, this is very nice.. Can you change color?

In theory, yes, but the Palantir of Orthanc was depicted as being black with blue swirls so that's the colour I make. I do have another version which CHANGES colour when it is turned, even though there are no colours inside. Rather like my Dreamsphere/Arkenstone creation. They fracture light at molecular level.

Palantir (first version) YT video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZLe2uUYCVQ

I make other things related to LOTR.

Perhaps if you hadn't said "it sucks" I would have been less offended.

Artists are like chefs and don't take criticism easily. I'm over it though.

Very nice Palantir :clap, what other LOTR items, besides the arkenstone, do you make John?

Thank you bill59. Hi. Good question. Let me first of all explain the reason for the two different versions of the Palantir. The original one I created uses the same unique technology as my Dreamsphere ( which I will come to later). In the book Tolkien wrote of a sphere which could be used to 'see', and was created by Feanor. My technology uses a very extraordinary material which actually fractures light at molecular level to produce many different frequencies, or colours. These frequencies are refracted and reflected inside a sphere and the many facets keep changing the colour as it is turned in the hand. There are no dyes, colours, pigments or metallic involved. It uses the same principle as the wings of a butterfly to split light, but taken to a higher level.

The first Palantir was a more realistic version based on my interpretation of the purpose intended by Tolkien, and has been used for meditation, clairvoyance and healing. The second version with the blue swirls was a screen-accurate reproduction based on the Movie.

The technology was discovered my myself about three years ago and I now own the trade names and design patent for the Dreamsphere, so the first Palantir was derived from that technology. I am the only person who knows how to make these Dreamspheres, which are broadly similar to the Arkenstone.

Video...the dreamsphere https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5qD7kkVq08

What you see are 'structural' colours, very pure colours unlike the 'static' or 'fixed' colours we see in everyday life which are the result of dyes, pigments etc.

I also create the 'Feanorian Lamps, described by Tolkien in The Silmarillion. These are crystals suspended in a net of silver chains which like up dark places. No batteries are required.

My next project, almost finished, is an accurate version of The Light of Earendil, a small crystal phial of water which glows bright. I don't use LED lights or batteries.

So, there you have it. Future projects include making the Silmarils.

I am not a huge manufacturing industry, just one guy who manages to create things.

The Light of Earendil sounds very interesting, John. I'm looking forward in seeing how that turns out. Best of luck with it.

The Light of Earendil sounds very interesting, John. I'm looking forward in seeing how that turns out. Best of luck with it.

The project is nearing completion and is screen accurate. This my glass phial filled with my special liquid, which will be permanently sealed. The liquid inside is perfectly clear but will glow under UV light. The phial has a round base so needs a stand for display, and I am suggesting a natural crystal base which has been cut by myself to hold the phial.
The crystal also lights up when stood on an illuminated base. See pics.

light of Earendil 1.jpg

light of Earendil 2.jpg

light of Earendil 3.jpg

light of Earendil 5.jpg

Back