Windows 10

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ween

Wahooooo!!!!
Reaction score
I am currently using Windows 7 and there's a free update available for 10. Has anyone done the update and how has it gone? I heard Windows 8 was a disaster so I'm leary of updating. Any advice?

As an IT guy, I've been reading a lot about it, though I'm waiting to do it myself until the Enterprise version gets released in a couple days.

From what I've heard, it's a worthwhile upgrade and an easy one, though there are some (not crash-inducing) bugs. I haven't heard any reports of computers getting wiped or anything. Internet Explorer is gone and replaced by a new browser called Edge. The start menu is redone to allow for mobile-friendly tile/apps. Security is greatly improved.

Windows 8 wasn't as much of a disaster (personal opinion) as some have said (at least, not 8.1 anyway)...it worked great, it was just quite a bit of an adjustment...and not necessarily in a good way.

I usually recommend to end users to wait a few months for them to release the initial wave of fixes before doing an upgrade, so that would probably be my best advice to you if you just want it to work and don't care about playing with the new features anytime soon.

Windows 7 4 Eva!!!!

I use Windows Media Center to record TV and I won't be upgrading until MS offers a FREE alternative.

Windows 7 is a fantastic OS.

I'll be upgrading to 10 on a machine to try it out. Have heard a lot of good stuff about it from beta testers.

You get one year, doesn't have to be right now.

The update starts now today, I had a reservation but I cancelled mine, I wanna wait a little

Windows 10fixes everything wrong with 8, windows 10 brings Cortana so your computer will be like your phone with Cortana as your assistant.
The new programs look pretty amazing. There are videos on YouTube about the new programs, they look great
Win 10 will be much faster than 7 and not use as much resources
Win 10 is much more efficient, it does work better and faster

I'm just not sure yet because the new windows will have a record of everything you type and Cortana will have access to all your files and your emails and Cortana will record what you say and keep a record about it
As well as record what you download

Windows already did that before but now Cortana will be in charge of all of that
Cortana will have too much access, and will share that with Microsoft for better advertising to you so information will be shared with advertisers
For a better experience or something

Last edited:
Seems lightweight and responsive to me. Edge seems like it'll be a great browser... eventually. But there's no plug-ins or anything yet. So keep using whatever you're using.

I have yet to hear any horror stories about it, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Of course be sure to backup everything on your computer just in case. Better safe than sorry. Plus it gives you an excuse to go through all your files and clean up some of the crap you don't need anymore.

Windows 7 will keep getting security updates until 2017

The only problem is that win 10 is only free to get for one year. If you wait too long you will have to pay

Some programs that worked with win 7 won't work with Windows 10

W10 has been beta tested since last October so it's very solid. I've updated a couple of my systems today with zero issues, one of them I did via Teamviewer, and it went perfectly. I'm really not seeing any massive issues, maybe a couple smaller ones, but they are easy fixes. Check out reddit's /r/windows for all the info you need.

I won't be able to use 10 at work since most of the programs we use are slow to update the next OS. Might give it a shot at home, though I'm still happy with 7 so I'm not really in any hurry.

Windows 7 will keep getting security updates until 2017

The only problem is that win 10 is only free to get for one year. If you wait too long you will have to pay

Some programs that worked with win 7 won't work with Windows 10

You can always upgrade to Win10, get your key, then roll back to Win7 if it suits you better.

But you're right, you've got a year, so anyone on the fence has plenty of time to check it out and read reviews/etc. No rush to get it today. The hype train is just rollin' through because it's launch day.

Yeah, personally I'll join the choir and say give it a while. You have a year to claim your free upgrade, so wait and watch and see how it all shakes out after it goes live. I honestly can't think of any real need to rush into this, and from all that I've read there are still a few unresolved, but important, questions that are yet to be officially and adequately answered by the powers that be at Casa Del Microsoft, that would personally make me a bit wary of becoming an early adopter (unless it was on a non essential, or spare, terminal), particularly in terms related to privacy and security.

Just my take on things, anyway. Best of luck, whatever you decide. :)

Screw Win 10. Gonna wait at least 2 yrs...preferably 3. Mr. Green already complain about blank screen after update restart(Win 8-8.1). And they better have Desktop and not that media ****. Retarded that Window 8 threated user like kindergarten kids with their boxy colors.

Yea, just read about the new Window 10 and most of it is still useless to Mr. Green. Like Mr. Green use desktop type of computer with no camera. So one of the features are already useless. They made Window 10 more versatile but still most of it is useless to Mr. Green as a basic user. Better to get his money's worth by keep using Window 8.1 or 7.

The nine most important updates in Windows 10

Screw Win 10. Gonna wait at least 2 yrs...preferably 3. Mr. Green already complain about blank screen after update restart(Win 8-8.1). And they better have Desktop and not that media ****. Retarded that Window 8 threated user like kindergarten kids with their boxy colors.

No, no if Mr green has win 8 Mr Green should really really think about getting this new one.

People that got win 8 are the most benefited. People on win 7 like me can wait it out but you should totally go for it since your comp already got fed and had problems.

wni 10 will fix all that stuff up too, the upgrade will make your comp run better. It's not just the programs it brings, it's the way it will run smoother.

(Im not sure about the blank screen, that has never happened to Mr Crows. I dont know if the Win 10 will give mr green a black screen again but as far as Crows has read, Win 10 is waaayyy better than 8 (Just not better than 7)

the only problem with 10 is just that some programs won't work. older programs

I plan on using Win 7 until they discontinue support for it then I'll upgrade to 10, by then they should have most of the bugs fixed :)

I just checked dxdiag, and Windows 10 has updated my old version of DirectX 11 to DirectX 12. Now, I'll be able to used stacked VRAM from my SLI GPUs for some games that support it :rock.

It also seems to have solved this strange Bluetooth pairing issue that I was having with my DS4 in Windows 7. So far, I'm liking what I'm seeing. The interface is very clean and easy to use, too.

Is Desktop wallpaper extinct with Win 10? I don't like the mobile interface of windows 8, I'm quite happy with 7 on my desktop, and I'm happy to report I don't own a mobile device (not even a cell phone) and the way people seem addicted to them I hope never to own one.

I have a cell phone but I'm far from addicted to it. Half the time I even forget to put it in my purse to take it with me. I text on it once in awhile and use a couple of apps on it but that's about it.

Back