How many of you buy duplicates?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joda

Super Freak
Reaction score
Looking at my list of pre-orders form BigBadToyStore this morning, I found it a bit embarrassing how many things I buy multiples of just to have a back up 'in case'. I figure with the limited availability of collectibles, if one should break there's not always an easy way to get a replacement. It's a rational line of thought, but then I do feel silly for spending all the extra money on 'backstock'... :lol

How many of you guys and gals buy duplicates, and has anyone been able to 'break the habit' and still sleep at night? :wink1:

I find to hard enough to justify spending the amount of money on one of everything, let alone two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been guilty with this, especially if a character/figure has a ton of accessories with different looks to choose from.

Recently I've cut back quite a bit. In the end I just got tired of having duplicates and it felt frivolous to me. I actually felt better when I stopped and just purchased one. Makes the figure/collectible/ more special.

I only buy duplicates of 3 3/4 and 6 inch Hasbro Star Wars, for army building. Im not sure why someone would waste money buying duplicates outside of army building, reselling, customizing, or multiple poses purposes.

I am debating on getting another 1/6 SSC Joker, so many different poses, really tempting me.

I find to hard enough to justify spending the amount of money on one of everything, let alone two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. I use to buy a few duplicates, until I saw them as money that should have went to food. I feel guilty getting multiples of the same figures. :lol

Guilty as charged and in some cases triples. However it's getting out of hand now that Hot Toys prices are getting worse. Gonna cut back on collecting period. Only doubles from now on are Transformers Masterpieces and only my absolute favorite characters.

I rarely buy duplicates of anything anymore. Sometimes the discounts during Spook get the better of me and cave (like last year with Zod and Superman), but I'd rather put that money toward new collectibles.

There was a time when I would buy duplicates of figures all the time. Of course with the amount of different figures being made and prices being higher, I really cut back. Now it really depends for me on what figure it is, if I even consider buying duplicates.

When I get a great new figure in I do tend to feel a desire to have another 'just in case' as the OP says. But that feeling fades away. Just as well that it does because there's no way I can afford to do it.

I have of course bought multiples of various Terminator figures in the past, those moreso for alternate looks and poses than the 'just in case' factor. When I started doing that I cut back on other licenses; I sold stuff to kill off my collecting impulse for various other lines. This has resulted in a very....well, some would say 'monotonous' collection but the only thing that matters is that I like what I have.

Looking at my list of pre-orders form BigBadToyStore this morning, I found it a bit embarrassing how many things I buy multiples of just to have a back up 'in case'. I figure with the limited availability of collectibles, if one should break there's not always an easy way to get a replacement. It's a rational line of thought, but then I do feel silly for spending all the extra money on 'backstock'... :lol

How many of you guys and gals buy duplicates, and has anyone been able to 'break the habit' and still sleep at night? :wink1:

Bold underlined bit is my favourite part.

If you buy two of everything "just in case", if that "just in case" comes, you would have been better off buying only what you need on the secondary market.

If you buy two of everything "just in case", if that "just in case" comes, you would have been better off buying only what you need on the secondary market.

That's a damn good point, even with possibly inflated prices on the particular item it'd still probably be far less expensive than having a general '2 of everything' policy.

That's a damn good point, even with possibly inflated prices on the particular item it'd still probably be far less expensive than having a general '2 of everything' policy.

It's not like most of these figures are incredibly rare, either. Just costly.

Back