Movies to get even MORE changes!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seretur

Elf
Reaction score
From USA Today:

An otherwise dry Sundance panel led to a potentially big revelation about the original Star Wars trilogy on Tuesday.

While discussing archiving and preserving film negatives, Phil Feiner, president of the company Pacific Title, was discussing work he did on the re-release of the Star Wars movies in the late 1990s. He believes Star Wars creator George Lucas has continued to tinker with the movies, adding as-yet-unseen new footage.

"There is new footage edited into them that no one's seen yet," Feiner said. "I don't know what he's going to do with it, but let me guess: six-disc boxed set."

There has long been suspicion that Lucas might try to further integrate elements of his prequel trilogy with the original tale of Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader. If true, it is likely to stir debate among Star Wars fans around the globe. Many were unhappy he altered the original versions, while others were pleased to see cleaner special effects and new scenes.

Pacific Title has a stellar reputation in Hollywood, previously restoring such movies as Vertigo, The Wizard of Oz and Sleeping Beauty.

Feiner says he worked for three years cleaning up the Star Wars movies for release in 1998. "We were then contacted by Lucas to go into another 100 shots that we hadn't done before. I basically said, 'Why are we doing this? You released the picture.' He said, 'Well, we want to go in and clean up stuff we hadn't done before.'"

That's when he picked up on a bombshell: "I heard through another source, some friends of mine up at ILM (Lucas' special-effects company), they were doing additional shots to get cut into a new version. I've never seen it, and I don't know anybody outside of George and his small cadre that have seen it. I'm just making an assumption that they're going to use this for some future release."

There has long been suspicion that Lucas might try to further integrate elements of his prequel trilogy with the original tale of Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader. LucasFilm spokesman John Singh said late Tuesday: "There are always a wide range of rumors flying around about Star Wars. There have been a lot of tests done over the years to help ILM explore new technology, but we don't have any plans for another Star Wars release."

I believe everything but that last sentence. :rolleyes:

I just have one reply to that :dump

Although now that I have the REAL movies on dvd its ok if he wants to screw them up even more now... I can watch my originals forever.

If the biggs sceane is in it and yoda is not cgi crap im happy.

Billy

Lucas will continue to "tinker" as long as he knows that suckers like us will continue to buy.

Billy said:
If the biggs sceane is in it and yoda is not cgi crap im happy.

Billy

I think everyone has seen the Biggs scene and in my opinion it needs to stay on the cutting room floor. Boooorrrrinnnnggg.

tomandshell said:
I would like to see Episode I with the digital Yoda replacement that was confirmed as being done.

Yup. They even showed alittle bit of it in the ROTS documentary.

I never thought anything persay was wrong with the TPM Yoda, other than they made him look so youthful that when they made him very close to ESB for AOTC, it made the aging from 1 to 2 look way too dramatic.

tomandshell said:
I would like to see Episode I with the digital Yoda replacement that was confirmed as being done.

I agree but these are even more changes to the OT. We already know changes will be made to the PT.

Batty said:
Lucas will continue to "tinker" as long as he knows that suckers like us will continue to buy.

I would acutally like to subscribe to LucasFilm so that each new update could be mailed to me like annually or something.

You know, I know people are attached to the very original state of the film, and I am too, but we have that on DVD too, and I'd be interested to see some things that might add some more to the old story. Like, not a tampering with the old stuff, but say they added a scene to ANH with Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine dissolving the senate, that could be cool to see how that goes down.

MaulFan said:
You know, I know people are attached to the very original state of the film, and I am too, but we have that on DVD too, and I'd be interested to see some things that might add some more to the old story. Like, not a tampering with the old stuff, but say they added a scene to ANH with Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine dissolving the senate, that could be cool to see how that goes down.

That would be cool!

Whatever. I'm down with adding anything that enhances the story and/or just looks really cool! I'm willing to throw down more money for new versions!

Back