Lord of The Rings Online.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother has been playing the beta version of this and thinks its pretty cool. From what I saw there isn't much going on in the game yet (all that I watched him do was kill a few wolfs, boar, and a bear).

carbo-fation said:
Interesting....an RPG. Do you have any more info on this?

It's an MMORPG and i'll be starting a guild when the game starts.

I've been playing the LOTRO closed beta for a month or two and I really love it. It will be nice to have the official game go live so my character doesn't have to get erased every time they do a restart and implement changes!! But hey, that's what beta is all about, I guess.

It's a great game and even though my wife hogs the PC playing Star Wars Galaxies (which I gave up on a LONG time ago), she's having to learn to share now that I have gotten into LOTR online.

tomandshell said:
I've been playing the LOTRO closed beta for a month or two and I really love it. It will be nice to have the official game go live so my character doesn't have to get erased every time they do a restart and implement changes!! But hey, that's what beta is all about, I guess.

It's a great game and even though my wife hogs the PC playing Star Wars Galaxies (which I gave up on a LONG time ago), she's having to learn to share now that I have gotten into LOTR online.

I HATE YOU TOM !!!! I have literally been waiting for this game since RoTK came out in theaters. hated that the initial company created the game somehow stopped making it or didn't want to make it, WHATEVER, just glad that it is FINIALLY being made. So Tom, or anybody else who has played the beta, how is it? Great? Glorious? Grand? Any other word that starts with a 'G'. How does it compare to other RPGs currently on the market?

Also, I wouldn't put too much stock in that release date. I can remember a couple of years ago when they had it to be released in 2005, but I hope I'm wrong

EDIT: Amazon has it being released on March 31st.

congerking said:
I HATE YOU TOM !!!! I have literally been waiting for this game since RoTK came out in theaters. hated that the initial company created the game somehow stopped making it or didn't want to make it, WHATEVER, just glad that it is FINIALLY being made. So Tom, or anybody else who has played the beta, how is it? Great? Glorious? Grand? Any other word that starts with a 'G'. How does it compare to other RPGs currently on the market?

Now, my experience with MMORPGs is quite limited. I have had a Star Wars Galaxies account for almost three years now, but I haven't played in about two years. My wife still plays it almost daily and I have purchased all of the expansions for her. Aside from a few months with that, the only other experience I had was playing a free 10 day trial of World of Warcraft. I have had more fun playing LOTR online that either of those two put together. Both of the other games got boring fast, and left you feeling like you were just killing things over and over to get XP and grind your way to the next level. It gets tedious and repetitive and I just give up. Maybe it's my love for Tolkien, but I have yet to get bored playing LOTRO. I often level up without even realizing it because I am actually involved in playing the game and not just camping out near a lair to kill creatures over and over just to increase my level. There is a lot more to do than just fight, with a lot of rewards for exploring Middle Earth and uncovering different historically significant locations and items. The game is organized by chapters, and I felt like I was playing through a more linear story, which for me is what made it better than the others. Of course you can always just run around and do your thing, but if you want to progress through the chapters of the plot you can do so and feel a bit more guided if that's what you want. Another neat thing is how the world can change. You start the game (as a human character) in a village, and as you advance and reach a certain level, the village is attacked. Come back later and the village has been burned and damaged, with injured/demoralized NPCs. The worlds in these kinds of games are usually static and unchanging, and the steps that they ahve taken to give the game an "unfolding" feel set it apart and make it quite a lot of fun. If you don't feel like fighting, you can engage in a wide variety of quests. If you don't feel like fighting, hang around the Shire and pick apples for the Gaffer or deliver pies before they get cold. If that sounds lame, then forget the Shire and go into the wild and hunt trolls or orcs--or do some dirty work for Bill Ferny outside Bree. I think that this game has more variety and has kept me entertained better than the others. Much of the play is similar to World of Warcraft, but the setting and characters are what makes it so much better for me. Just getting the chance to go anywhere and see anything and anybody is so much fun if you have read the books and know what to look for. This is pretty much the ultimate game experience for a LOTR fan who wants to experience virtual life in Middle Earth. I can't wait for the game to get officially released to the masses--and I hope it's not too long before they make some expansions for Moria, Rohan, Gondor, Mordor, Mirkwood, etc. But there is plenty to do for now in Eriador.

congerking said:
Also, I wouldn't put too much stock in that release date. I can remember a couple of years ago when they had it to be released in 2005, but I hope I'm wrong

EDIT: Amazon has it being released on March 31st.

This game has had a long and complicated history, but it is finally ready and will be awesome.

Sierra On-Line first announced the development of a licensed, Middle-earth MMORPG in 1998. This caused some excitement among fans, who were awaiting The Lord of the Rings movies, and was also slightly controversial for a few design decisions. The most debated design idea was the planned use of "permadeath": When a player character would die in the game, that character would be permanently dead (most MMORPGs resurrect a dead character with minor penalties). Sierra had financial troubles in 1999 and replaced the staff working on the game.

Sierra continued to confirm development on the MMORPG was progressing, but did not release any development details over the next few years. Vivendi Universal Games, the parent company of Sierra, secured eight-year rights to produce computer and video games based on The Lord of the Rings books in 2001. Finally, Vivendi announced an agreement with Turbine in 2003 to produce Middle-earth Online (at that time expected to be released in 2004). In March 2005, Turbine announced that it had bought the rights to make massively multiplayer games based on Tolkien's literature and that Turbine will assume publishing duties on The Lord of the Rings Online from Vivendi. Closed Beta was announced on September 8, 2006, and rumored to have began on September 12, 2006 :cool: , and is expected to launch April 24, 2007.

One thing I forgot to mention--you can be "Quantum Leaped" out of your character and beamed into the woods where you temporarily assume the role of a troll and can jump into some PvP combat if that's your thing. Playing as a monster is a new feature that I have not tried, but is yet another fun thing to look forward in the future.

Tom, is the game similar to WOW in that when you find new weapons or armor it will change the apperance of your character?

From what I've witnessed with my brother playing WOW, that's the coolest aspect of the game...having the chance to totally set yourself apart from the rest of the people in the world with rare or unique looking armor and weapons.

Seth Gecko said:
It's a MMORPG nash yes.

hey promise me you'll let me know in advance when this thing is going to ship out, and I'll pick one up and guild with u guys.

Back