Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Panjo
    Things I'm Selling
    Follow Darklord Dave On Twitter Add Darklord Dave on Facebook Visit Darklord Dave's Youtube Channel

Default Things don't always go as you plan

As you may be aware, almost two weeks ago SSC sustained the longest unplanned outage in the history of the forum.

It was mainly due to a power failure at the ISP, but when the power came back up, the database was corrupted.

The backend developer I turn to in these instances was out of touch for a few hours. I soon discovered why.

The developer, Steven, is and has been in Nepal for many months. He was able to get us back online without data loss.

Then he told me his story.

Rather than tell you more about what his experience of the earthquake was, I'll share with you what he sent me;

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    I have been traveling in Asia recently.

I've been in Nepal for a little over three months, enjoying this beautiful country's very warm people and rich cultures (plural).

It's a cloudy morning on April 25th in Thamel, the tourist district of Kathmandu, Nepal. I am in my hotel room, working on my laptop.

I am in the middle of coding something. Suddenly, there is shaking. I pause for a few seconds, confused about what's happening.

The shaking stops. I get out of my chair and look out the window. The shaking resumes. I hear people screaming, see them running.

It dawns on me what's happening. I am experiencing an earthquake. It dawns on me that I am stuck on the 5th floor with no escape.

The shaking doesn't stop this time. I quickly rip the curtains off the window and start tying them into a rope to climb down.

I hear the heavy sound of wood & stone rubbing, coming from outside. The house across crumbles & smashes to the ground.

The shaking stops. I look outside and see danger on the street. It's narrow, maybe 3/4ths the size of a one-way in New York City.

Unlike New York, there are no sidewalks. No curb. Like an alley. There's an alley, and multi story buildings stacked on eachother.

Endless buildings that can, like that old house, collapse and crush everyone in the street. There's no open space within sight.

I have an idea. I run upstairs, to the open restaurant on the roof. It's empty. If this building falls, I'll jump onto the next one.

I strongly feel my chances are better if I jump and fall on top of an adjoining building, than if building(s?) fall on top of me in the street.

The shaking resumes. I position myself to jump, if I feel this building is about to collapse. The shaking stops. The waiter walks in.

He says there's an open space down the street, around the corner. We run down. At the entrance, the hotel owner points to safety.

I dash off in the direction of the open area, cautious of buildings. The shaking resumes while me and others run down the street.

I run as fast as I can, the earthquake weighing down my movements. The shaking stops midway, and I make it there safe.

After a few days, I was able to book a flight for an unexpected departure from Nepal. 3 hours before my flight, I decided to stay.

I decided to stay and do everything in my power to help the devastated people here, those who can't simply walk away from this.
    I've agreed to appeal to our community to help out; you can see the mission directly here:

p.s. Here's the picture of the first family he's helped shelter:

Last edited by admin; 06-15-2015 at 02:15 AM.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    33 (100%)

Ham and Egger MODERATOR
    Feedback
    86 (100%)
    When I tried to donate, I got a "please log in" message, and it apparently did not go through.

Administrator
    Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Panjo
    Things I'm Selling
    Follow Darklord Dave On Twitter Add Darklord Dave on Facebook Visit Darklord Dave's Youtube Channel
    It no longer requires you to log in to facebook to donate.

Super Freak
    Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
    Feedback
    Thanks for sending out the bulk/generic email "heads-up" Dave - I hope that garners more attention and response to this thread.

The fact that "one of our own" was DIRECTLY affected by this should remind us that there are more important things to spend money on than bits of polystone.

My thanks to Steven for being a better human-being than so many in this world, and I hope that what we donate as proud members of Sideshow Freaks makes a difference.

Thanks again Dave & Steven!

Ian/Spike.

Thank you for your generous contribution of a complete tent Ian When the tent is delivered on Saturday, you'll see a letter back from the receiving family.

Thanks to SSC and P9, we have +5 tents to go out to families on Saturday so far; thank you for your continuing support! After the 1st tent, the goal was set to 10 tents per week, so we're halfway there and hopefully we'll hit the target by the end of the week

Finally got through a few hurdles that came up and everything is in place for the next delivery! Posted a picture of the 7 tents packed and the receipt in the deliveries area.

Super Freak
    Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Finally got through a few hurdles that came up and everything is in place for the next delivery! Posted a picture of the 7 tents packed and the receipt in the deliveries area.
    Glad to hear these will soon be on their way. Hope it doesn't take much longer for them to arrive.

"Deliveries area" ?

On the Shelter a Family page, clicking the Deliveries button opens up a menu that shows the list of deliveries. Speaking of (:

* Tents delivered to 6 families (: thank you everyone! see photos below
    * To see which tent came from who, click on the Deliveries button
    * Added the img-grid tag to scale photos here down to post box size
    * 1 of the 7 tents was defective, being replaced when I return to the factory
    * The quality of the photos and print was unusually bad, fixing both next run