Darth Vader Sixth Scale Figure: Hot Toys vs Sideshow.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hot Toys or Sideshow?

• Hot Toys

Votes: 146 59.6%
  • Sideshow

Votes: 35 14.3%
  • Can't go wrong with either

Votes: 61 24.9%
  • Neither. Wait for the 1/4 scale.

Votes: 7 2.9%

• Total voters

godzilla2099

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Normally I collect statues but I always wanted that ultimate Darth Vader Figure. He's not only my favorite Star Wars Icon, he's one of my favorite fictional characters of all time. This will be my first six scale figure.

Both pieces look phenomenal. Not sure if one has a clear advantage over the other. Hoping to get the opinions from sixth scale collector and/or Vader Fans to see if there is something I missed:

Hot Toys:

902320-product-feature1.jpg

Star Wars Darth Vader Sixth Scale Figure by Hot Toys | Sideshow Collectibles

- A New Hope
- Light Up Belt
- Light Ups Saber
- 9 interchangeable hands
- Breathing sound effects
- Interrogation Droid
- Hot Toys. That name carries weight. These guys are usually the king in the detail department

Sideshow:

100076-product-feature31.jpg

Star Wars Darth Vader Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure by Sideshow | Sideshow Collectibles

- Return of the Jedi
- Light Up Saber
- Light Up Chestbox and Belt
- Light Up Base
- 8 interchangeable hands
- meditation chamber stand for Vader's helmet and mask.
- $50 Cheaper

Can I vote for Kaiyodo or davejames' helmet sculpt? Because both facemask sculpts blow HT and SSC out of the water.

Ugh, I got too excited and missed the pre-order detail on the Hot Toys Version.

Well, people can still comment on it, feedback on the sideshow version helps and I'll bump this thread up when we can see both figures to do a real comparison

So far the review for the Sideshow Version looks solid.

I think both are decent and have pros and cons. I like Sideshow's stand and the Anakin head sculpt. Overall I waited it out and pre-ordered the Hot Toys one. Their bodies are better and I like the Interrogator Droid. I think both look decent in the costume department.

I think hot toys version's version looks a little anime in style. I also think the helmet flares out too much. Sideshow also had its issues, but I prefer sideshow's version.

Just wanted to clarify that Sideshow's saber doesn't actually light up. I own it and was planning on picking up HTs as well but after seeing it, I must admit, I don't like their Vader at all. At All.

I own the SSC ROTJ/ESB Vader and must admit I was seriously disappointed when I took him out of the box. He looks like a toy and the plastic armor parts in general look cheap. Specially if I compare it with the Luke/Vader Headsculpt that came with the exclusive DX Luke. But, after SERIOUS mods he looks pretty awesome, although there are always some angles, that I'm not too happy with.

Just looking at the HT Vader pics, in general I bet the details and quality of materials will be a lot better, except the chestbox. I think the SSC chestbox is a lot more detailed and has a better light up feature. But I'm definitely gonna get him and get spare chest & shoulder armor, suit, hands and feet for my Custom SSC Vader.

Regarding the headsculpt, I'd have to see both in hand to choose the best, SSC seems to me to be the more screen accurate but HT might trump it with a better material so it doesn't look cheap.

No contest for me,HT version looks on another level compared to SS. The mask on HT is very close to accurate while SS is all kinds of wrong! Here's a comparison with the real deal in the middle
View attachment 180254
And another with the real deal on both sides of HT. Very close imo
View attachment 180251
And the one thing SS gets wrong time and time again is the overscaling of gloved hands and boots which i think give not only their vader but a lot of their figures a toyish look,like the old hasbro figures. Not to say the HT vader is free of issues but the overall scale of everthing,boots,gloves etc look far better. Then again it's all about preference at the end of the day,some love the ANH version,which is my own personal favourite and some love the ESB look and despite the short comings of SS vader it still makes a fantastic display piece
View attachment 180252View attachment 180253

Back